What Phono PreAmp Do You Have?

I some users say you have to match the cartridge with the preamp I'll have to wait for the blackbird. but for a high output MC's you can use a MM preamp?

I some users say you have to match the cartridge with the preamp I'll have to wait for the blackbird. but for a high output MC's you can use a MM preamp?
Well at a certain level, preamps can take on much higher end cartridges and bring out what they were designed for and that's usually highly resolving music in there natural recorded state without coloring the music.

Depending on tge MM preamp but my Graham slee Acession does accept High output MC cartridges.

Audiofreak71

I have a few floating about. In my main system, I'm using a Yamaha C-4 preamplifier as the phono stage is phenomenal. I also have Gram Slee Gram Amp 2 upstairs in a Fisher mono console being fed by a Technics SL10, a HypnoToad AD797 HQMC at work, and an Apt Holman which is currently shelved, but may get more time down the road.

-D

I recently upgraded from a Little Bear T10 when I decided to get serious about vinyl again. The Little Bear was okay but I could never fully eliminate the hum. After much research, I went with the Vista Phono-2 and couldn't be happier. Clean and clear, it just gets out of the way and lets you hear what's on the record. Gain and resistance loading are easily adjustable for virtually any cartridge. Currently using it with a Grado G1 with MCZ stylus. I love it.

Phonomena II
Jolida JD9
Boozehound which sounds amazing with a 12V Li ion battery

Under $1000 I like the Lehmann Black Cube a lot. Very quiet, handles both moving magnet and moving coil cartridges and has an open slot for inserting resistors to create custom loading for MC carts. Gain and loading are adjustable in steps up to 66db. Order from Amazon and send it back if you don't like it.

https://www.lehmannaudio.com/phono-stages/black-cube.html

The sound it produces is natural and lifelike. The Lehmann made my system sound less like a stereo and more like a live performance. I compared it back to back with the Parasound JC3+ and the Lehmann was very, very close which says a lot, I think, given that the Parasound is 4x the cost.

I agree. Actually, you can get a new Black Cube SE II (with the dual mono OPA134, switchable bass filtering, and outboard power supply which ups performance considerably) for under $1K (List a several hundred above that). There's an authorized seller on that auction site that will usually accept offers much lower than list and accepts returns.

I just use the one built in my Denon and an ART DJ II for my Yamaha receiver. Both are good enough for my aging ears.

Last edited:
Finally managed to lay hands on a Nakamichi CA-5. At last!
Currently evaluating, positively considering a recap.

UqCkDZn.jpg

Last edited:
Well... After some evaluation time, nope! It's superb just the way it is. Not gonna recap it.
It's got the oomph straight out of the box and it sounds right already at the lead in groove,
even before the music starts. You can just hear you're up for a delight and you can bet it is.
One of the best I've heard so far. Me thinks it's me last pre-amp ever... :)

oMly9jq.jpg

Last edited:
Currently a MOFI Studio Phono. Also have a Rega Fono Mini A2D for needledrops and in case I can get a second table set up eventually. Previously had a Mani but recently sold it.

That's good to hear. With a name like MOFI, you'd expect it to be at least as good as the best of the competition!

I don't often use the mono capability, tho I have it. I do have some LPs that might benefit, sound wise, but I don't really like to put my stylus through that. Might have to experiment a little. I have an Ortofon 2M body, with both Red and Blue styli, but I hardly ever listen to the Red. I find it a little bright, but after some judicious tweaking of the rest of my gear, it actually sounds decent. Thinking about it, it might benefit the most from mono, will check that out tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom