What Phono PreAmp Do You Have?

I've two in active use, a Valab LCR-1 and Sheer Audio MM-88 (modified Marantz 7 circuit).... The third is a Douk Tube Phonobox (EAR 834P copy).

The Valab is best, Sheer Audio next followed by the Douk. Having said that I find the Realistic 42-2109 and 42-2101 stages to be every bit as good as the Douk.

That's good to hear. With a name like MOFI, you'd expect it to be at least as good as the best of the competition!

I don't often use the mono capability, tho I have it. I do have some LPs that might benefit, sound wise, but I don't really like to put my stylus through that. Might have to experiment a little. I have an Ortofon 2M body, with both Red and Blue styli, but I hardly ever listen to the Red. I find it a little bright, but after some judicious tweaking of the rest of my gear, it actually sounds decent. Thinking about it, it might benefit the most from mono, will check that out tomorrow.

In what way would playing a mono LP mess up your stylus? Are you talking about records in poor condition? Or something cut with an early '50s groove designed to be used with a .6 mil conical or something? Most of the mono stuff I have is from the 60s or later. Anything in rough shape gets played with one of my backup cartridges. I have Shure M35X mainly for that purpose. If a record is in great shape I don't think twice about playing it with my main cart and then using the mono switch.

Yeah, I was meaning LP's that aren't in the best shape. That's why I keep a Red stylus handy as well. I did some listening in mono with the Blue yesterday, on good records, and it was interesting enough to make me want to experiment a little bit more.

is anyone using Graham Slee Elevator? I've been offered one.
That's what's a possible next on my list as I have the Graham slee Acession and it's an excellent phono stage. I've heard nothing but great things about the elevator though.

Audiofreak71

I`m build own phono preamp into my AT-LP120 USB TT and tune it to ride AT440MLb cartridge on right loading input. Work great when is tuned...
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....amp-on-at-lp120-usb-and-improve-sound.799329/

For Technics SL-1900 I also made custom external preamp but with selectable loading inputs with DIP switch... So, this preamp I can to use on any MM cartridge and tune it precise when I want... Also work geat...
This preamp is based on this schematics. I have all pictures how to do that and soon I will post all information how to build it...
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/simple-mm-preamp-with-impedance-change.797107/

Calculations for loading values on DIP switch is made from this calculator...
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/useful-parallel-resistor-calculator.797446/

Preamp.jpg

This is conbination what I currently can to choose on input with three switch in combination...
Preamp_combinations.jpg

I’m using a Park’s Audio Budgie + Park’s Cinemag SUT on my main system, and a Firestone Audio Korora on my second system.

I use two. The first one is a DIY opamp phono stage with adjustable loading (both capacitive and resistive). The second one is ANT Audio Kora 3T MC with an upgraded linear PSU. The Kora is a very decent phono stage and very well reviewed in its time, but it has two downsides:

1) The loading is not adjustable and fixed at 100 Ohm;

2) The power indicator LED is blindingly bright.

I currently have 3 phono preamps:
  • Sutherland PH3D (powered by 16 D-cell batteries)
  • Musical Surroundings Nova Phonomena (switchable battery and mains power)
  • Dynavector P-75 Mk I
All 3 of these are very good sounding, flexible with respect to cartridge matching, and will work with both MM and LOMC.

There have been several others come and go:
  • Aragon 47K
  • McCormack Micro Phono Drive
  • Musical Fidelity X-LPS V3
  • Bellari VP-129

I have a Rogue Ares with the upgraded Cinemag Blues (as opposed to the standard Reds). I am also using a VAS MC-One Mk. 2 step up transformer (into the Rogue as a MM)

I'm currently using a Little Bear T-11 with a nice set of 12AX7's. Just a slight hum when the output is set to max. The metal box must have helped with the hum in the T-10. I'll be going back to the one I built after a few mods.

Jasmine LP2.5du here. Connected to a P3-24 with a Denon DL103 also a CIAudio VPP-1 connected to an Ariston RD40 and a Nagaoka MP150

Back
Top Bottom