What piece of audio gear do you most covet?

birchoak

Hi-Fi Nut
For this thread, tell us about a piece of audio gear, vintage or otherwise (but preferably vintage), that gives you goosebumps when you see a JPEG thumbnail of it, let alone actually see it in person. If you actually got to touch one you would instantly have a heart attack and go straight to heaven. To qualify as a Coveted Audio Thing (CAT), it should meet the following criteria:

1) You have wanted this amp, set of speakers, turntable, cassette deck, cartridge, etc. for so long that the need literally feels like a part of you, and lurks at the back of your mind during family functions, staff meetings, camping trips, and while bathing. This is no idle fancy and may even come up in therapy sessions.

2) You can almost, but not quite, afford to buy this Coveted Audio Thing, a dynamic that has tortured you for at least one year, preferably five or more.

3) Upon beholding said stereo device, even one of the great unwashed masses using earbuds would pause to raise an eyebrow, saying something like, "What is that?" or "That looks expensive; what does it do?"

4) If you were to see this Coveted Component at a yard sale, Goodwill, at the side of the road, or on Craigslist, you would immediately break into a cold sweat and would likely hear the following from bystanders:
"Are you feeling all right? You look a little pale."
"No, I don't know where the nearest ATM is."
"Are you sure you're all right? Do need to take some medicine?"
"You seem really excited; do you need help getting up?"
"Well, you're certainly in a hurry! Do you realize you're not wearing pants?"

5) You literally cannot imagine actually owning this Coveted Device, working or not, and to see it in your living room would constitute an out-of-body experience second only to alien abduction.

6) You saw this component for sale at least once, scoffed at the price, then regretted not buying it when you had the chance, as that was apparently the very last one to be offered for sale, ever.

EXTRA POINTS If, when mentioning said component to an acquaintance, that person says, "Oh goodness, we dropped one of those off at Goodwill about a month ago," or, when checking "completed" listings on Ebay you find that a pair just sold for $102.50 with free shipping but you were out of state at a wedding, the audio component automatically qualifies as a Supremely Coveted Audio Device.

Release the hounds!

Cremona by Sonus Faber

I’ve said it a million times here, but I’ll say it again - I want these speakers.

I realise in the realm of SF speakers, they’re fairly low in their lineup costing only a mere pittance of around $10K when new and around 5 on the used market. Probably not even that high up in comparison to other brands’ luxury speakers, either.

Don’t care...

Just look at them.

Cremona_timeline.jpg

No incredibly ‘artistic’ or odd shapes to them like some high-end examples, no exotic resins cast in over-the-top colors, just fine quality cabinetry with smooth flowing lines. A look and a sound that will satisfy for decades to come. There will be a set in my system before I’m dead - I’m speaking it into existence. ;)

For me, at the moment, a set of 3-way ADS speakers (have 2-way ones, they are great, but I want just that little bit more...). And later, a Rega Planar 2 or 3 turntable.

I guess these are more in the vein of "I CAN" afford them...rather than the stuff that even if I had the extra money, I wouldn't be able to make myself buy.

Well, OK, there is a sexy Benchmark amp that's around $2,500...I 'd like to hear that one sometime...but that's a little beyond the edge for me.

I'd really like to own the set below. Pre/Power amp from Technics.
I can barely afford them - by not spending anything on almost everything for a few months - but they are ultra rare and never come up for sale.
I would also very much like to be able to afford (rather justify) a pair of KEF Blades.

837b01fb44a2ed5ae8fca18c9382506b.jpg su-a2.JPG

Nothing that I covet, could realistically afford or would ever find at Goodwill. As for appreciation of a beautiful piece of machinery, however, I would vote for the Clearaudio Statement turntable. Like that of a massive telescope you'd find at a science center.

It is simply gorgeous in person as a work of mechanical art. It weighs over 700 lbs. A cross between Nautilus exercise gear in mass and a finely precise instrument. Folks debate as to whether belt drives or direct drives transmit more vibration. It uses two platters: the lower platter driven by three belt driven motors and the upper platter driven magnetically. What vibration? The upper structure gimbals about a point such that when nudged, it gently moves in multiple axes. Add a platter weight, linear arm and Goldfinger cartridge, the sound quality is incredible. Was able to play and hear it at a reviewer's home many years ago...

statement.jpg

Last edited:
years ago ,i would be around D.Garbors FI store on 30 Watts St in NYC & look at the FI X 2A3 amps in the window ,they were reasonable back then...but when he moved his shop to Brooklyn & got a cult following ,they became very hard to get...now that he is deceased, its over. I lusted after that amp ,but needing the correct type of speakers were the reason i didn't pull the trigger.no room for big horns & the wife would never go for speakers like that.

Also with the nothing that I covet being at Goodwill.
High end gear at a price my crappy ears could justify. I just don't hear that well. Possibly too much heavy machinery, loud rock music and substance use in my past.

Back
Top Bottom