What preamp are you using with your Dynaco MK III's

I just fired my Mark III's up for the first time tonight (just got the tubes!) and I'm using a Pioneer SX-850's preamp. So far it sounds awesome.

I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone else is using.
When I first got into tubes I used the pre section Of my recapped Marantz 2230. It sounded awesome to me.

I also use a Stereo 70, not MkIII's. I'm running it with a PAT-5. I think that is the best sounding Dynaco preamp I have heard (I have not heard the very rare PAS-4 however.) I like it better then the PAS 2, 3, 3X and PAT-4.

I was using mine with a Mac c220 before I sold them. The sound was fantastic.

And who knew Pass Labs gear was junk with billet faceplates? I better dump the Xono now....LOL

Jblnut

Bringing back this long dead thread to say that I stuck my trusty Decware CSP2 pre in today with my MKIII's, and I like the sound quite a bit more then my McIntosh MX110. I'm wondering if part of it is that the CSP2 has an output impedance of <60 ohms? The overall sound is just much meatier, ballsier, then the 110. I'm still using the 110 for it's phono and tuner.

I'd love to get my hands on a PAS 2/3 at some point. I've had 2 of them in the past, but never with Dynaco amps.

You could very well be right. I love the 110, but while I believe it underwent some freshening up by the previous owner, frankly it probably needs something more intensive to bring out it's full potential. That said, I'm pleased that I can still use elements of it that sound very good to me, and keep a tube pre in the mix as well.

I just fired my Mark III's up for the first time tonight (just got the tubes!) and I'm using a Pioneer SX-850's preamp. So far it sounds awesome.

I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone else is using.
I used the preamp section of my Marantz 2230 for a few years. Some of those 70 recievers had nice preampx

I tried a 5687, and found the gain too high. Rebuilt with a 12B4 and found it a decent match.

The 12B4 is really easy to work with. Heater current at 12V is not too bad, and PS requirements are not out of line. B+ around 250, and able to live with 50 mA of idle current come to mind. LED bias. Decent coupling caps, and a 50kOhm volume pot.
cheers,
Douglas

I have used my Conrad Johnson preamps with the MK-III's, I have a PV-2ar and a PV-8, no tone controls on these so it is pure quality audio. :thumbsup:

After doing some reading, I decided to change out the 6U8's in the 110. Had some green label Sylvania's in there, took them out and put some GE's that I had laying around in, and the difference is just short of night and day. The pizzazz has returned! Like going from b&w to color. I'm not big on this kind magic, but I know what I hear, and I'm very pleased on this new development. I've heard that RCA black plates are great in the 110, so I've ordered a few and we'll see if I can't bring the improvement up another notch.

Theta tube preamp because it came with the MKIIIs and I've always wanted one.

Craig

Use Mcintosh MX-110 in bedroom

After mod to MkIII's to keep my high house voltage from killing power tubes I am very pleased with this combo

I used the preamp section of my Marantz 2230 for a few years. Some of those 70 recievers had nice preampx
I have restored a couple Marantz 1060 integrated amps. Supposedly the 2230 is a 1060 with a tuner added. I tend to agree after seeing I side a 2230. The 1060 is one of my favorites. I'm using it as a preamp for a model 140 power amp. The preamp and phono sections do sound good.

My first set up was a pair of MkIIIs and a Lafayette KT-600 pre. Smoothed out the harshness of my then new New Advent Loud speakers. All around wonderful sound.

Back
Top Bottom