What Record Are You Hearing Now?

Uptown_amp_Lowdown_1977_ATCO_SD36-146.jpg

Uptown & Lowdown

Mama's Pride

1977 ATCO SD 36-146

My CD/LP/TAPE Collection

I know this thread is about the music, but man are those JBLs are all kinds of retro-cool!

Btw, I do also love The Rolling Stones, but only have albums from "Their Satanic Majesties Request" onwards in my collection.

Thanks, I made them myself - well kind of. They started out as a pair of trashed out JBL L36 Decades I picked up at a local Goodwill store for $12.99. I spent a fair bit of money and a LOT of time resuscitating, rebuilding and re-imagining them, both inside and out. Complete details here.

My original plan was an authentic restoration with the original golden oak finish and burnt orange grill cloth. Inspired by Jan Delange's beautiful, custom made L300 Summits, I decided to give my more humble L36 Decades a similar treatment. I'm glad I did. I consider speakers, especially anything of significant size, to be furniture. Of course, the best possible sound is always priority number one, but I also want my speakers to look nice and blend in well with the rest of my furniture and surroundings.

Ok, back to the music. Yes, I have always been a Stones fan, but as a child of the 1970s, the oldest Stones album I had, until a couple days ago, was Hot Rocks. I have managed to find Aftermath, Big Hits (High Tide and Green Grass), Let It Bleed and Sticky Fingers on SACD, but a couple evenings ago, I stumbled upon 5 older Stones albums at a local Goodwill. It's great to hear their earlier work on vinyl.

Back
Top Bottom