What Record Are You Hearing Now?

View attachment 1048682

Bobby Hutcherson - "Cruisin' The Bird," 1988/Landmark. As I wrote elsewhere tonight, by the time Hutcherson made this he was no longer quite the modernist of the classic Blue note sides. This album is more conservative, includes "Come Rain Or Come Shine," "Chelsea Bridge," some fine originals. As much as I admire his Blue Note stuff, this is my favorite. I wouldn't change a note.

s.
I like Blue Note. I've been trying to work on the Riverside title lately.

Beethoven Concertos.jpg

Concerto For Piano and Orchestra Number 3 in C minor, op. 37 - Wilhelm Kempff and Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra

The concertos box in the picture above is from a series of box sets DG issued for Beethoven's bicentennial. The set dates from 1972. With the understanding that I really don't know what I'm talking about, let me say that I bought it because I like the way Wilhelm Kempff plays. I've done a little reading, and Kempff was apparently never regarded as a virtuoso, a first line player. (Anyone who knows more about this than I do - and that would be anyone - feel free to correct me.) That said, there's a modesty about how he plays that I find very appealing.

s.

R-10723372-1503106437-4750.jpeg.jpg

Back
Top Bottom