What Record Are You Hearing Now?

Colosseum ~ Those Who Are About to Die Salute You
Dunhill, 1969

20180613_193634.jpg

20180613_193706.jpg

20180613_193814.jpg

A friend gifted me this Chinese (he thinks) colored disc of the Everley Bros. Being Styrene, it's a static magnet and not the best sounding. It sounds like a fairly worn 45 and the first song on side two is fast and sounds like a 33 played at 45, or about 1/3 too fast. Still, it was a gift and an interesting one for which I am thankful. sleeve is thin paper covered in very reflective cellophane.
View attachment 1211188 View attachment 1211187

It looks like the LP's we bought for 25 cents each at Caves Book and Record Store in Taipei, Taiwan during my Navy tour their in 1971. The language there is Chinese. Red, green, yellow opaque and if you were lucky they sounded marginally OK on the first play. Taiwan didn't honor any copyrights at that time and pressers would just churn them out. The Navy wouldn't allow you to ship them back to the world at the end of your tour, but obviously many got through.

Caves Store is still in business: https://www.librarything.com/venue/12624/Caves-Books-[敦煌書店-]

It looks like the LP's we bought for 25 cents each at Caves Book and Record Store in Taipei, Taiwan during my Navy tour their in 1971. The language there is Chinese. Red, green, yellow opaque and if you were lucky they sounded marginally OK on the first play. Taiwan didn't honor any copyrights at that time and pressers would just churn them out. The Navy wouldn't allow you to ship them back to the world at the end of your tour, but obviously many got through.

Caves Store is still in business: https://www.librarything.com/venue/12624/Caves-Books-[敦煌書店-]

My friend is a record dealer and he bought two boxes with maybe a total of 100 similar discs, all different titles. He told me to choose one and I took the one off the top. I was in the Philippines in the early 70s and we could buy similar things but couldn't ship them home, of course. THe big thing then was bootleg tapes, mostly cassettes and 8 tracks. I never bought one but heard a few and they all sounded like they had been recorded on a portable. Total junk, to be sure.

My friend is a record dealer and he bought two boxes with maybe a total of 100 similar discs, all different titles. He told me to choose one and I took the one off the top. I was in the Philippines in the early 70s and we could buy similar things but couldn't ship them home, of course. THe big thing then was bootleg tapes, mostly cassettes and 8 tracks. I never bought one but heard a few and they all sounded like they had been recorded on a portable. Total junk, to be sure.
Where were you in the Philippines? I was there on temp (TAD) assignment May-June 1971 at a place called Navy Communications Station San Miguel, San Antonio, Zambales Province. Right on the South China Sea about 45 minutes north of Subic Bay. Beautiful place, did a lot of snorkeling in a cove at Capones Island and drank my share of San Miguel beer.

Where were you in the Philippines? I was there on temp (TAD) assignment May-June 1971 at a place called Navy Communications Station San Miguel, San Antonio, Zambales Province. Right on the South China Sea about 45 minutes north of Subic Bay. Beautiful place, did a lot of snorkeling in a cove at Capones Island and drank my share of San Miguel beer.

NAVCOMSTAPHIL, as an ET at the Terminal for 15 months with a 6 week TAD at Mt. Santa Rita.

Ah, Subic Bay and San Miguel...the memories...:beerchug:....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom