What records do you play

audioguy

Tubes warm my soul!!!
What groups on record do you guys like to play that are a good test for your system. Also, what groups have a real clean and satisfying sound. If this is too broad of range, pick five or so. I played paul simon's greatest hits and simon and garfunkle's greatest hits. They both had a really smooth sound along with good vocals and it's calming music. Amazing, i used not to like older music because my dad plays it all the time but i'm starting to like it some.

The song I use to test the overall frequency response of a system is Africa by Toto. The production of the song speaks for itself, and it really reveals just how high and low your speakers extend through the frequency spectrum :yes: .

I don't know if we have that group. My uncles has a thousand or so. We might have a couple hundred. I would say we mostly have 60's to 70's rock. I don't know who Toto is?

I call it Classic Rock.

That is what I play.

A good LP with alot of different sounds for your system is the Beatles` Sge. Peppers Longly Hearts Club Band. It has great stereo seperation along with dozens of different instruments.

Also Edgar Winters` hit "Frankenstein" will really give your system a work out.

The Mamas and PaPas Greatest Hits has real great stereo seperation. Smooth sound and great vocals. Your dad probably has that LP if he has Simon and Garfunkle.

Another from The Beatles[I`m a Beatle fan from way back when] is the famous "White Album"

And there is dozens and dozens of other great Classic Rock LPs. That is what I play!

Looks like you have a good system to play them on.

Tank

The only record that we have out off all of them is mamas and papas. I know we have a lot of beatles records but not the ones mentioned. I'll have to ask my uncle. Out of his thousand, there might be more selection, or he might have the ones mentioned.

Try Telegraph Road by Dire Straights from Love Over Gold. It's very dynamic and generally a pretty good 15 minute song.

Joes Garage and Sheik Yerbouti, both by Frank Zappa, are renouned for the tight band, sound affects, and dynamic production.

APP is an awsome suggestion.
I would also toss on some Boston, Bruce Hornsby, Floyd (animals) and The Who. Brothers in Arms coudln't hurt either :thmbsp:

If you want to test your system, try Tomita's "Snowflakes are Dancing". It's a good test for any system.

Eurythmics - Savage.

That one is a good test of frequency response, bass, transient response, channel steering. Annie Lennox's voice is to die for and in a properly setup system is just awesome. It can be a bit edgy at times if not setup properly though.

Good tester and terriffic album.

I'll have to check with my uncle on some of these because my dad doesn't have any of these except for a couple. I appreciate the suggestions. Keep posting though because you never know if we have it or not. He did say a good sounding album he has is Naked Eyes, so i'll have to play it.

"Fragile" by Yes is a very nicely recorded LP, and should be very common too.
In fact, I think I'll play mine right now.
"Brothers in Arms" by Dire Straits, "Document" by R.E.M., and "Aja" by Steely Dan are good too.

Last edited:
Wanna hear 35 Hz?

Lucky Man

ELP

All you need to know.

PS - Use Large Advents for best results.

Some great suggestions, personal favorites would have to agree with APP "I Robot", SD "Aja", and Dire Straits "Brothers in Arms". I'll throw in Jackson Bowne's Running on Empty, and Firefall's 'Elan. Very musical and make your sytem deliver! Friday night selections after a few beers and games of pool, then, I say, yes, this is what is all about. Unless you're into Metallica.

What's wrong with Metallica? The black album is a classic of metal. Not for mellow folks or just relaxing but it's great for the 'bangers.

No Dis against them, I have "Load" & "Reload" I think floating around, I bang my head sometimes too. I just have a couple of differant modes, good and loud, and good, and loud. Might be hard to explain. Hope you get the idea.

A lot of quality vinyl is still being produced today. "Dark side of the Moon" By The Pink Floyd has been repressed for the 25th anniversary edition and it sounds fantastic. Likewise, Brian Wilson released "Smile" last year and the pressing is about the best that can be produced in our time. Both of these records are widely available. You can't go wrong with "Aluminum Tunes" by Steriolab. And in the rock category "1000 Hurts" by Shellac is transparent, crisp and cutting. I'm sure records were made to higher standards in the past, but fortunately the production of vinyl continues.

I like to use Tin Pan Alley by Stevie Ray Vaughn. The base absolutely blows the roof of the house when I crank it up.

Back
Top Bottom