What RtoR is better than Nakamichi Deck?

tmblack

I have some 3 head Nakamichis from the early 90's and so far none of the old reel to reel decks can beat or even match them for freq response and S/N especially with metal tape.

How much would one needs to spend to get better results?
Any Akai or Teac Pioneer or Sony machines?

I'm not in the market for Studer or Revox machines right now.

Thanks

Among those, look into the Pioneer RT-707, RT-909. Those are the most serviceable. A TOL Sony will sound good, but parts are scarce.

Will the Pioneer RT-707 sound better than cassettes?
What the Nakamichis lack is precise imaging like that of a good LP recording.

Theoretically reel to reel should be better with higher speeds and lower wow and flutter.

Some of the better Sonys sound superb IMO. But you will need to run them at 7.5 ips to begin to outperform a good Nak.

Any Sony from the Mid 70s or later with three motors and F&F heads is a good machine. The best are from the late 70s with 3 motors and F&F heads.

My personal favorite consumer-format (1/4 track, 7.5, 3.75 ips machine) Sony is the TC-765. But the TC-755, TC-758, and TC-558 are nearly as good (just slightly less advanced). Even the humble TC-399 is a pretty decent machine, but its one motor transport is distinctly inferior to a good Nak in terms of W&F, whereas the rest listed above will out-perform your Naks.

The best Sony ever is the TC-880-2. But its a pro-format machine, and they are expensive, if you can find one.

A word of warning though: These can require a bit of elbow grease to get running well again if they have been sitting for many years.

Sony TC-645 beats Nak BX-300

I keep a Nak BX-300 in my bedroom system, much more convienent than a
R2R on the old nitestand. The Nak sounds good but the Sony TC-645 clearly sounds better, pun intended. I use both of them to record Jazz & Blues off the radio, using a Sony HD tuner, here in Spokane.
Dave

I have some 3 head Nakamichis from the early 90's and so far none of the old reel to reel decks can beat or even match them for freq response and S/N especially with metal tape.

How much would one needs to spend to get better results?
Any Akai or Teac Pioneer or Sony machines?

I'm not in the market for Studer or Revox machines right now.

Thanks

I don't think any casettedeck can maintain a good frequency response at 0dB recording level - several R2R can do that trick. Judging or compairing decks on spec's are not a good thing :)

But ...... take a X2000M and use the build in Dbx system, and any casettedeck would be blown to kingdom come - be it freq. response or s/n ratio

I don't think any casettedeck can maintain a good frequency response at 0dB recording level - several R2R can do that trick. Judging or compairing decks on spec's are not a good thing :)

But ...... take a X2000M and use the build in Dbx system, and any casettedeck would be blown to kingdom come - be it freq. response or s/n ratio
In terms of specs alone, I would agree. However I would not necessarily agree in terms of subjective performance. There is a reason why I sold my X-2000R and my Akai 747dbx , but I still own my TC-765.

Also please keep in mind that a good Nak, using Dolby C and metal tape can have nearly flat FR at 0dB too!

Any ReVox from G 36 to B 77 Mk II at any but logger format, any post 1970 Tandberg, Any A series Teac, any Tascam Stereo deck, any X series Teac, any Pioneer post 1973, most any post 1975 Sony, any MCI, any Studer, any Otari, any 3M pro deck, any Ampex pro machine, the list goes on and on. Spec sheets don't tell you anything. And for the comparison to be fair, no NR here. Any Akai post 1971 also applies too.

This one :

MVC-002F.jpg

In terms of specs alone, I would agree. However I would not necessarily agree in terms of subjective performance. There is a reason why I sold my X-2000R and my Akai 747dbx , but I still own my TC-765.

Also please keep in mind that a good Nak, using Dolby C and metal tape can have nearly flat FR at 0dB too!

That Sony (765) is sonically among one of the best decks ever been put out for sale to the "common" audience - despite the spec's are fine, it for sure would outrun many better specified decks, you had to have a hell of a casette deck just to get close, certain Nak's, the two huge Alpage (85/90), and their Luxman siblings could come very close to that same sound, but still even recording on these very fine casette decks, you would hear the soundstage collapse, if the programme material was complex enough and contained extreeme high levels, at high frequencies.

Maybe it the laws of physics showing their face here, but there is no substitute for the amount of magnetic particles passing a record head at high speed :)

I have a Maxi-single i normally would use to test a deck's sound, a Swedish made record from BeatBox
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5crsJIOvrM&feature=related

Well, the obvious answer is a CROWN!

It isn't a fair question. A RTR deck running at 7 1/2 ips has more tape, a wider track and can achieve greater dynamics and better S/N than the Nak running a four track at 1/4 the speed.

But... You want a RTR that is built as well as the NAK! There is the rub.

Of the decks I sold/owned/touched and became familiar with the Teac 4010S, Tandburg 9000, Revox A77 and Crown SX828 (I think that is the right number) were demonstrably superior to the NAK 700/1000 series I also sold.

Edit: let's throw in the Technics 1500 my brother owns.

Last edited:
Persoannly, I find the Pioneer RT-707 and 909 to be superior if you want to stay withing a specific budget. Both are exceptional decks, built like tanks and will match the Nak easily.

Shouldn't be any problem :D

....Studer/Revox..... Sony765/75x......several TEAC's...... and all those i didn't mention.

I guess you didn't read the rest of my post. I didn't mention the Sony but Teac and Revox as well as others.

I was trying to say that there are a lot of tape decks out there, few RTR or any other format built as well as the Nakamichi.

Any ReVox from G 36 to B 77 Mk II at any but logger format, any post 1970 Tandberg, Any A series Teac, any Tascam Stereo deck, any X series Teac, any Pioneer post 1973, most any post 1975 Sony, any MCI, any Studer, any Otari, any 3M pro deck, any Ampex pro machine, the list goes on and on. Spec sheets don't tell you anything. And for the comparison to be fair, no NR here. Any Akai post 1971 also applies too.

Wow Thats EXACTLY what I was going to say! :bigok:

70's Sale Guy - thank for adding your informed & thoughtful "discussion" to the thread. :lmao:

Well, Its time to go for a dip in the pool, later dudes :guitar:

I guess you didn't read the rest of my post. I didn't mention the Sony but Teac and Revox as well as others.

I was trying to say that there are a lot of tape decks out there, few RTR or any other format built as well as the Nakamichi.

ok - maybe i did misunderstand you - i read your text as "there are a few, RTR's or other format decks - build as well as the NAK's

That was _what_ i reflected to - in my view, there are _many_ decks build as good as or even better than NAK's.

(I've been in the business 30+ years - seen my share of NAK's - and all the other thingies - NAK's don't impress me much ....)

Back
Top Bottom