What RtoR is better than Nakamichi Deck?

if you would ask me to choose between the 747 and X2000r, the Teac is a toy in comparison, heads wear fast, no adjustment on the headblock if you lap them ,DC motors etc etc.

+1,
While I wouldnt call the teac a toy, both machines are still consumer level which does make them both somewhat "toys" compared to the big boys.

that said, the 747 is much better built than the x2000r, the one SINGLE fault or "reliability issue" in the 747 (tension arms) is minor in comparison of Teac using the DC motors, and CA heads.

Just for interests sake, the only Reel tape recorders that have let me down are the Revox B 77, Tandberg TD20 and the Philips 4520,

Please explain more of what you mean by 'let you down'. In what way did they fail to do what you wanted ?

It's irritating how people just hop on with their favorite brands and refuse to give credit to others, etc. TEAC happens to be my favorite manufacturer of open reel machines, but that doesn't mean I automatically hate all the other brands just becuase "mine is the best". I like my Akai machines very much. I'd say the electronics are not of the same quality as my TEAC machines or my Technics machine, but the physical build quality is very good, very comparable.

I never said Akai was crap, I just said that they filled most of the market for low-end decent machines. They are good compared to a lot of the junky machines out there. I for one would almost always take an Akai over a Sony, except for those few Sony models that happen to be quite good. I'd take Akai over Ferrograph and Dokorder, and of course over any other manually operated machines. I really do think Akai had the best mechanically controlled machines on the market, but you really can't compare them to other companies' three motor soft touch machines. Akai's later machines seem to be pretty good, pretty comparable with the other residential machines.

Re: Ferrograph, the old Wearite machines pre Series 7 are the British equivalent of the old Ampex 600. Sturdy, clunky in a lovably British way, reliable as a rule. I would take a middle end or better Akai over a Dokorder, their electronics are repairable and usually are reliable afterwards. Agree with Teac being my favorite reliable good consumer machine. Lower end Akai simple mechanical machines are very good when electronics are good. I've owned a few 4000 DS machines and liked them OK. Most Sony middle and upper machines I love and I've owned a few.

Please explain more of what you mean by 'let you down'. In what way did they fail to do what you wanted ?

The Revox has a speed stability problem, Tandberg had issues with the power switch and some the other controls and the Philips is one channel down on playback. Let me down means they cannot be used.

Last edited:
Failing power switches (also tape speed & size switches) are definitely an issue for the TD20A, but not insurmountable. It's a simple mechanical problem, and can sometimes be repaired without replacing the switch.

John

Failing power switches (also tape speed & size switches) are definitely an issue for the TD20A, but not insurmountable. It's a simple mechanical problem, and can sometimes be repaired without replacing the switch.

John
Hi John
Yes, the switches are fixed now along with the reel tables, the locating ears sheared off the plastic reel tables. We Used all metal reel tables from an earlier model machined to fit.

Nice work. I've heard of that repair before (using 10X/10XD reel tables machined to fit the 20A and dealing with the way the optical sensor is arranged on the two different models) but never had to try it personally - always came up with the replacement part when needed. I buy 'em proactively whenever the price is right so I tend to have one when I need it.

John

Nice work. I've heard of that repair before (using 10X/10XD reel tables machined to fit the 20A and dealing with the way the optical sensor is arranged on the two different models) but never had to try it personally - always came up with the replacement part when needed. I buy 'em proactively whenever the price is right so I tend to have one when I need it.

John
Yes, we couldnt find any reel tables anywhere and all three lugs were off the take up reel table so it was a good solution. The work was done by an ex official U.K. Tandberg tech and he restored the deck to a good working condition.
Fred

I see Sony's highly recommended. How would my TC-377 measure up?

IMGP3681.jpg

I see Sony's highly recommended. How would my TC-377 measure up?

IMGP3681.jpg

Your TC-377 is an entry-level deck with pretty good specs. I have one myself but can not get the play selector to stay in place, plus the micro cut-off switch is making weird noises and gets hot. So with that being said I've put it back in the shed. When it was running it sounded really good. The Ferrite heads are a big plus on this model. Sony knew what they were doing when they introduced Ferrite heads on the 377.
I recently purchased a Sony TC-755 that was one of the best 3 motor decks in the same class as the 765, etc. I decided it was too big for my space so I just sold it on Ebay. So I'm back to mainly listening to my Teac A2300S which is a very robust and great sounding deck. I also have a Akia GX-4000D but it's not even close to the build quality of the Teac.

I figured with a model starting with 3 it wasn't hi end. I got it locally and it's mint. Original box/packing as well.

Works fine but I don't use it a lot.

IMGP3675.jpg

IMGP3679.jpg

IMGP3674.jpg

wow thats really awesome actually, I would have picked that up. I have never seen original packaging for a 377.

and those TDK professional reels are really really nice, one of my favorites.

Thanks! I found a dust cover for it. I'd like to get some of the scratches out though :yes:

Problem with cassettes as a medium is that the thin, narrow magnetic coating saturates easily at the high end, and that in the end is a big limiting factor in design compromises. That may be lessened by the advanced 'metal' formulation, but it cannot be overcome at those slow tape speeds.

Back
Top Bottom