Votes: 12 12.9%
  • 3rd

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • Other, (non-traditional)

Votes: 40 43.0%

• Total voters

jcamero

Who are you people anyway?
Just curious. I'm a second shifter, (just waiting till June, and I may go to first).

Second was always my favorite. I've been on first for three years, it's ok, I like being off early in the afternoon but I'd still prefer second if I had the option now.

Last edited:
I'm a contractor, so I work whenever the job requires. If we do retail spaces, it has to be overnight when they are closed. Commercial/industrial work is whatever accommodates their schedule. Residential work is whenever is convenient for the homeowner. Some jobs are even kind of "whenever you want to show up" as long as it is completed by XX date.

I am surprised that you would want to move to 1st shift (don't know what you do or family status), but up here in the "rust belt", all of the manufacturing and warehousing jobs that still run 2 or 3 shifts pay a premium wage for 2nd and 3rd shift, and a lot of people want those extra few bucks.

I'm *supposed* to work a traditional 8-5 office shift but lately I've just been firing up the laptop whenever I can get in front of my big screens and logging the hours because of having to help with some serious medical issues :( Fortunately my boss and coworkers are awesome and they don't care as long as stuff gets done. I'm sure at my last job I would have been fired by now, so I'm counting my blessings.

Wed, Thurs and Fri - usually 3p - 11p
Sat and Sun 5a - Noon

This week I'm in mornings from Wed thru to Mon (I do traffic reporting)

"Let's go to Jody Thornton with TRAFFIC!"

I normally work when I want, as long as I get 40 hours. Sometimes telework, but sometimes I need to cover console which entails 0430-1630 or 1630-0430 for 7 days straight with 7 days off.

I work a 5on 4off 5on 5off 4on 5off rotation, the first 5 on is 2 days 3 nights the second 5 on is 3 days 2 nights, the 4 on is 2 days 2 nights. All 12 hour shifts. The 5 off stretches are sweet.

I work from home...which typically means I never really stop working.

Yep when the phone rings or that E-Mail comes in is when my shift starts. Problem is that its 24/7 365.

Frannie

I was doing 7:00 PM to 7:00 AM 4 days a week over the winter, but the boss hired another shift so it's 11:00 PM to 7:00 AM 5 days a week now. Been on the "Vampire Shift" for the past 10 years or so. Don't think I'd like first shift since the boss can be quite a PITA according to my co-workers. I just go in and run my crew, get the job done, and go home. Seems to work well for me. The boss can't complain since we do more than the other 2 shifts on a regular basis.

I'm retired but I still work nights/weekends doing events at 2 venues. I'm probably going to add a third venue soon. Last time I worked more than two venues was in 2012 when I was working 5. I can't live without an open desk calendar in front of me. Trying to put all that into a cell phone is way to much work. I see others doing it and just laugh.

I used to work 4-10's, 5am-3:30pm M-Th. Now I work 4-8's, 5-1:30. Unfortunately I moved before I had an MRI on my elbow which shows a torn tendon in the right elbow. Now I have to drive from Bend to Portland every Sunday so I can work, then drive back to Bend on Thursday afternoon. Can't really look for another job closer to home until after I am finished recovering from the approaching surgery. Luckily I have a place to stay in Portland so the 300 mile round trip is only once/week.

Back
Top Bottom