What shold I do with an old computer monitour?

Telecolor 3007

I love old stuff
What should I do with an July 1989 "E-Machines" 1108-T19 19" colour CRT calss B computer monitour equyped with Trinitron CRT (the whoulle monitour is Made in Japan): shoud I use it or shoud I donate it to an museum?

If it still works, use it! Trinitron are great tubes. My 1993 Sony 17" SF2 Trinitron monitor just died a couple weeks ago and am crushed, what a great monitor it was. I haven't decided yet what to do with it, lol, I don't want let it go...

kerozene said:
If it still works, use it! Trinitron are great tubes. My 1993 Sony 17" SF2 Trinitron monitor just died a couple weeks ago and am crushed, what a great monitor it was. I haven't decided yet what to do with it, lol, I don't want let it go...

Set it up in a field about 50 yards or so away and shoot it with a rifle just to hear the implosion. I've never done this but heard about it many time from various people. Drugs and or alcohol may have been involved.

mac

If it works better than another monitor you'd want to use, use it. My guess is that it's going to fail within the next couple of years, anyhow. If it doesn't work then I'd donate it to the nearest landfill or recycling center.
Tom

take it to a local colleges electronics department if there is one. If not take it to good will, If not take it outside to say hello to something called a front bumper :yes:

I dosen't works, but I don't know if is broken. It worked for 10 yrs (19891-1999), but the guy who gave it 2 me 4 free said the last time worked.
I Romania we can get fire arms only with licence
If it doesn't works, I'll donate it to an museum. I don't want any "antrepenures" to get their hand on it.
I wonder, what the FCC rule no. 15 says?

Part 15 of the United States Federal Communications Commission is where the rules say how much radio emission can be given off by a device when it is operating and interferes with another device. :) Take a look here:
http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/part15.html
Computer monitors give off radio energy when they are operating. This radio energy can interfere with other electronic devices. FCC Part 15 rules say how much radio energy can be given off.

I hope this helps.

I don't know how much value a broken monitor would have to even a museum, Telecolor. How would an "entrepreneur" benefit from this broken monitor? It is usually far less expensive to just buy a new one than it is to fix one as old as that.

Tom

Last edited:
Telecolor 3007 said:
I dosen't works, but I don't know if is broken. It worked for 10 yrs (19891-1999), but the guy who gave it 2 me 4 free said the last time worked.
I Romania we can get fire arms only with licence
If it doesn't works, I'll donate it to an museum. I don't want any "antrepenures" to get their hand on it.
I wonder, what the FCC rule no. 15 says?

Toss it off of the roof, onto something hard that won't break and is easy to clean up (concrete etc..). It never worked for you... don't waste time on it...
then nobody will be able to "antrepenures" it... to the unwary...

Listen for the BooM......

Yup, I know an museum, the Museum of "Politehnica" University from Bucharest.
And the monitour dosen't have any problem. The problem is generated by the video stage of the computer: this monitour uses a speciall video stage; I didn't understand taht the guy that gave me the monitour told me that the monitour requyres a special video stage (video stage=that component of the computer where you plug in the monitour)-he told me now that I might have broken the monitour; anyway he'll give the video stage when he'll clean up his cupboards.

I know this probably won't be possible with this particular monitor.

But.... have you ever considered making your system into a multiple monitor system? Just add a second Graphics Card and monitor an you can double the amount of screen real estate that you have.

I currently run a 3-monitor setup butyou can easily go beyond that depending on your needs. Even a twin-monitor setup is a real boon especially if you're into programming at all.

Well, the minitour haves 1 little big problem: it's desogned to be used at an "Apple" computer, and I intend to use it at an P.C. So I have to chopped it. If we report the salaryes from Romania with the chopping cost vs. U.S.A. sallaryes, the modofication will cost aprox. $ 300. Shall I choppe it?

Too bad you can't fire it up one last time w/Nicolai Ceausescu's evil mug gracing it & blast away w/an AK47...THAT would be fun.....Heheheheheheh...-Sandy G.

Last edited:
At the risk of being serious here :scratch2: - if you can recycle it, you should; monitors are full of stuff that is not especially good for the environment. Another possibility is that a local technical school might use for training in electronics repair.

Yeah, Telecolor, you prolly really ought to do that. Blowing Nicolai's ugly puss into kingdom come again WOULD be fun, but monitors DO make a big melluva hess when they're broken..-Sandy G.

If nothing else these (and similar rebadged Sony monitors) usually have a double ended insulated adjustment tool clipped to the metal shielding above the CRT. You may as well remove it before you dump it.

Trinitrons are wonderful things. Reading this thread on my good old reliable Sun GDM20E20 monitor. This thing will probably still work in 30 years, and the picture looks beautiful.

If the monitor is multisync, a $2 adapter should do the trick; if not, you are out 'o' luck.

Back
Top Bottom