What should I pay for a Marantz Model 9 ?

Discussion in 'Dollars and Sense' started by Chrisxo55441, Nov 11, 2016.

1. Chrisxo55441

Chrisxo55441 AK Subscriber Subscriber

I have a chance to buy a pretty close to mint pair of original 9's. asking price is $16000, i only find a couple of recent sales when i search. is this the going price nowadays or is it way off ? anybody know
    9-111.jpg
    9-1.jpg 9-111.jpg 9-112.jpg 9-113.jpg 9-116.jpg 9-119.jpg

2. willyrover

willyrover Super Member

That seems about right.
    They certainly aren't getting any cheaper.

3. Chrisxo55441

ive seen some listed for higher but they arent selling. i would be keeping them not reselling so im not looking for a great deal just a fair price but it is hard to judge what that is with nothing to compare to.

4. vonclod

vonclod AK Subscriber Subscriber

A friend of mine has a set for sale, asking 28k canadian..I don't think he is eager to sell really.

5. Chrisxo55441

Thats $20000 US doesnt seem like i would be over paying at $16000 anyway

6. vonclod

vonclod AK Subscriber Subscriber

Im sure my friend is not eager to sell, he has priced it at the top of the range I'm sure..he would probably take a bit less 16k is probably within reason on a rare gem like this.

7. mech986

mech986 Text ↓ optional Posts:>18,000 Subscriber

You might be able to wave $14K to 15K in cold hard cash and be able to get a discount. They do look in very good condition so that is likely to help the price remain firm.

Crooner lucked into a pair at around $14K on Ebay last year, check his thread on the purchase and restoration.

8. Chrisxo55441

I couldnt resist the condition of these and have committed to them. I had my tube tech look over the inside pics and everything seems original and the interior serial numbers match the exterior and after a few communications with the seller who is oversea's i trust him and he says the working condition is 10 out of 10. The down side is he wants to use them for a jazz club opening in December so i need to wait until January to get them :( I just hope someone local doesnt make him an offer he cant refuse and he keeps to the commitment. I did check out Crooners thread :thumbsup: thanks

9. mech986

mech986 Text ↓ optional Posts:>18,000 Subscriber

Hmm, overseas temporarily I hope? In this case, I would get something in writing as a commitment for sale and purchase, and put a deposit down for them, just so you can for sure have them locked down - assuming they are in the same condition when you receive them after the Jazz club opening. Odd though that he wants to use them for that purpose - these amps aren't meant to push PA system loudness in a noisy environment.

10. Chrisxo55441

he said he wanted to expose them at the opening of a jazz cafe, i put club by mistake. not exactly sure what was meant by expose but im not concerned about additional use on them as long as they are not physically damaged. From their condition and other gear of his i saw i assume he knows how to use it properly. i would probably have them refurbished at some point anyway i dont have a time frame could be 6 months or a couple of years. i didnt even think twice about it on my 7 and 8b and they were sounding great before and are sound great after. but these will take a little thought, i am a firm believer in out with old and in with the new when i comes to caps over 40 years old but these amps will be special. i will ask for new pics pre shipping for sure. we have already discussed packing and shipping and insurance.

11. gogofast

gogofast AK Subscriber Subscriber

Overseas jazz cafe? That makes sense as these Marantz pieces have cult like following in Asia. Most people who enjoy listening to jazz or classical music are into quality gear in Korea, Japan, Vietnam or Hong Kong. Almost all of the jazz cafes I've visited in Asian cities had these types of vintage gear. It's a lot different than here in the states. It's kinda surprising that the seller is selling them below market value especially located overseas. Hope you get the pair safely.

12. sheltie dave

sheltie dave Addicted Member

Chris, you want to proceed very carefully with an overseas purchase. You have no financial recourse for a chargeback in a couple of countries via credit card agencies. I would look into an American escrow company on the coast to ensure the transaction occurs without any speed bumps, unless you have every confidence this is on the up and up.

If he wants a concession from you that he holds the amps until the opening, then he should be willing to agree to your escrow concession. This is a good insurance plan for both of you, as escrows ensure both parties get what the contract purchase requires.

biscuithead and Sam Cogley like this.
  13. Chrisxo55441

He will post a buy it now for me through Ebay and it will be paid with Paypal he has 100% rating and sold some items in the few thousand dollar range . Im hoping Ebay and Paypal will protect my purchase. He also told me about the jazz cafe before i commited to them i could of bought them earlier without waiting but i wanted more pics and to have my Tech look them over and to think about it clearly so he didnt really know my intentions. Part of me says yes buy them (bigger part ) the other part says no dont be happy with the 8b ( im sure my wife would be on this side if i told her what im paying) im sure he would take a down payment if i wanted but im not sure i want to so im going to let fate decide

14. Leland47

Leland47 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Sounds like a good excuse to make a trip.
    What gems these would be to own!

15. VintagePlus

VintagePlus Mcintosh and B&W

That is a great deal. The value on these will only increase. Hope all goes well with the overseas transaction.

16. crooner

crooner Tube Marantzed

I came across this thread today and I was wondering if the OP purchased the amps. If so, I would like to know his impressions on them.
    I've had my pair since 2014 and they are my definitive amps.

17. Mark B

Mark B Yamaha Fan Subscriber

I doubt it Nestor - his signature doesn't list Model 9's.

18. crooner

crooner Tube Marantzed

Yes, that's right Mark. I hadn't noticed that!

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
  19. Chrisxo55441

the deal never went through, i sent him an email in december about getting them and he replied that cafe opening was being delayed until late spring and it was out of his hands and i would have to wait until then. never heard anything back from him after that. im guessing he sold them locally.

20. crooner

crooner Tube Marantzed

It wasn't meant to be. I hope you find a nice pair soon. Took me a few years to find mine, but it was worth it!