What should I use to clean the inside of my receiver?

maff

I found a Scott 388. It needs major cleaning. How should I clean the major dirt and grime that is inside the receiver.

There is aluminum and also circuit boards inside that has spots of dirt and grime that I would like to clean .
Is rubbing alcohol ok to use at all to clean most of the dirt and grime, then use contact cleaner to clean the contacts?

Or is there something else that I should do?

Hi Maff

Not an expert... But as I recall and have had minor problems with acetone. Acetone can be used for somethings, But sometimes can remove decals parts numbers, melt plastic etc... Straight Alcohol works better and doesn't remove the afore mentioned good things. Use a small brush to lightly remove the grunge. Make sure whatever you use, to unplug the unit first and do it in a well ventilated area. I say unplug it not that yer an idiot. But I almost zapped myself in my overexecitement to get at it :stupid: went from testing to cleaning-near misses stay with you.
Also even though acetone dries very quickly. Let the unit dry out a day or so before plugging it back in.
Hope this helps !
Army
PS Windex can be used also but drying time should be longer !
EDITED
Boy did I have a braincramp. Had the alcohol acetone thing bassackwards. Bollys right. Corrected this post sorry!

Last edited:
Acetone is very strong, same stuff in some nail polish removers. It WILL damage plastics...

Back
Top Bottom