What should you do if you and your partner don't have the same taste in music?

A
You're used to playing your music loud, and suddenly when you got someone with you who hates the music you listen to, what's the best thing to do?

Are you talking about a girlfriend/boyfriend/spouse, or "suddenly" as in you're giving someone a ride and it's just a temporary thing?

Either way, maybe it's the loud part that the other person isn't digging.

Enjoy the fact you both love music. Just be mindful of over bleeding of your music's, and don't criticize.
To add. My wife and I are a mile apart in our music, from gear to music itself. On occasion though, I be listening to something, and within a few days, a song off the album ends up on her Ipod.

Last edited:
Start off with things she likes and ease in an occasional selection of your own. If you are careful with your selections, the exposure may win her over and help broaden her taste in music. Yes, you will have to listen to some songs you may not like much, but this is the best way to compromise in my opinion, and it may broaden your taste a bit, too.

Start off with things she likes and ease in an occasional selection of your own. If you are careful with your selections, the exposure may win her over and help broaden her taste in music. Yes, you will have to listen to some songs you may not like much, but this is the best way to compromise in my opinion, and it may broaden your taste a bit, too.

Exactly. All you need to do is find some "overlap". My GF got me into Dave Brubeck and Randy Newman. I got her into Yes, and Rush. She still refuses to listen to Pink Floyd with me, but I'm still going to hold onto her. ;)

-Dave

Just like here on AK courtesy is the key. I learned to appreciate Travis Tritt. She learned to like "those weird English groups".

My wife only likes top 40 1980's and the groups aimed at teenage girls from the 1970's Shawn Cassidy, Bay City Rollers and such.

You guys fail to see the enormity of the situation. It's tough to find "overlap" when a total re-education is in order. It's like wanting a gourmet meal and your SO wants to go to Chuck E Cheese. It will take careful planning to overcome such odds, odds that mirror rehab for drug addiction, maybe even worse.

My case I have a spare bedroom now a listening room and that is where I do most of my listening. My wife only likes top 40 1980's and the groups aimed at teenage girls from the 1970's Shawn Cassidy, Bay City Rollers and such. The living room and the sound room are far enough away we don't get into volume warfare. If a listening room is not available invest in some good headphones and a amplifier.

That does sound like a tough nut to crack.

You guys fail to see the enormity of the situation. It's tough to find "overlap" when a total re-education is in order. It's like wanting a gourmet meal and your SO wants to go to Chuck E Cheese. It will take careful planning to overcome such odds, odds that mirror rehab for drug addiction, maybe even worse.

:biggrin:

-Dave

How old is your significant other?

Now that I've read all your comments, it kind of scared me. "Tip of the iceberg" hmm

Thanks for all your suggestions. I think I'll go with the my own listening place. I think it's giving respect to both parties. This is hard if you want to keep yourself and your partner as well. lol but yeah, someone did mention about compromise. I guess I need to be doing a lot of it from now on.

By the way, I usually listen to Howie Day. Do you think it's bad?

Back
Top Bottom