What speaker cables for SET?

"4 pcs speaker binding post" item 390812457178 sold by eddiestore2008 on the bay are excellent. They are nice and long for thick enclosures and are big and easy to solder or use an "O" crimp-on connector held on the shaft with a nut.

priced at $12.99 eddiestore accepted my best offer of $10 + .99 shipping.

thanks - made my offer :D

David, don't know if the AN comes with it's own gasket but if not you'll need to use some self sticking foam tape weather stripping for a good seal. Rope caulk is ok but a little messy.

why do i need gasket? it's not a sealed design?

That's single strand and looks like it'll fit the bill nicely. If you feel you need a larger diameter, you can always double/triple up on the strands :thmbsp:

sounds like an idea. but i don't need it any thicker :D

why do i need gasket? it's not a sealed design?

You need the gasket to stop any air leaks from around the driver basket ;). I've used the tacky speaker gasket material from the various parts houses, and it works very well. Just run a bead right around the the top edge of the hole. When you put your driver in, itll mash it down any seal up and air leaks from around the frame of the driver.

Last edited:
Is that all that necessary? It's a bit of job remounting the drivers!

Sent from my X10a using Tapatalk 2

Is that all that necessary? It's a bit of job remounting the drivers!

I can't tell you for certain, but it does provide peace of mind. Ideally, you want to eliminate any possible air leaks from the cabinet aside from the port.

Ok I'll give it a go when I install the speaker binding posts thanks

Thanks Pete - any recommend for speaker binding posts?

Yep. I've used the CMC solid copper (not brass) jobbies a few times and quite like them. They are $54 landed for a set of four though:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CMC-858-...64?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item43cd6980cc

The gold plated high-copper-content brass versions are $25:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CMC-858-...07?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item4624f69957

There's also long-shaft high-copper-content brass versions in gold and copper plating:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2x-CMC-S...S_Audio_Cable_Plugs_Jacks&hash=item4aaf63515f

Some have grubscrews for affixing wiring too if you don't want to solder. Soldering onto larger binding posts which have a high mass can be tricky unless you have a high powered soldering iron:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2x-CMC-S...S_Audio_Cable_Plugs_Jacks&hash=item4aaf63515f

These Furutech clones are also well made, but look more modern:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/231307653613?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I'm keen to try these low-mass WBT Next-Gen clones at some stage, but who knows what metal they use - I bet it's not pure copper!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/321448911410?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Regarding banana plugs, these are the equivalent of the Multi Contacts:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12-BFA-4..._Audio_Cable_Terminations&hash=item35c059e3d1

A local Aussie seller has CMC BFAs with screw termination (or soldering if you wish) quite cheaply too:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CMC-Pure...ories_Power_Boards_Cables&hash=item3a9573b7e4

David, you really need a good seal around the drivers. The stick on foam weather stripping tape that is sold by hardware stores is close to what Parts Express sells for speaker gasket tape. Get the smallest thinest size. Not only does it seal the driver but the foam reduces baffle vibration/resonance. That's why I always use it with open baffles which don't require a seal.

OK... thread cleaned up and let's please keep it that way. No more 'wire doesn't matter' comments in this forum, and no more 'get a life' responses, please?

Now the Wood's power cord "White Lightning Moonshines" require some burn-in.

I do this by hooking the cord to a weed whacker and doing the whole yard before cutting off the ends. :D

Next time you're in the need to burn in some more cables you're more than welcome to use my yard for the burn-in. :D

I've been using Clear Day Audio speaker cables a 24 GA solid core .999 silver wire. I've used both the single and the Shotgun with my Decware Zen. That amp is the only SET design I've ever had but I do think those cables sound better with it than others I've tried: Cat 5, White Lightning Moonshines, Canare Star Quad and Tara Lab RSC.

Next time you're in the need to burn in some more cables you're more than welcome to use my yard for the burn-in. :D

I've been using Clear Day Audio speaker cables a 24 GA solid core .999 silver wire. I've used both the single and the Shotgun with my Decware Zen. That amp is the only SET design I've ever had but I do think those cables sound better with it than others I've tried: Cat 5, White Lightning Moonshines, Canare Star Quad and Tara Lab RSC.

I'm actually quite interested in silver cables, only if my requirements were short cables. I need at least 7m pairs, and thats a lot of money in silver.

More cleanup. If anyone else wants to comment on moderation in the forums, please read the rules first, and just don't.

David, you really need a good seal around the drivers. The stick on foam weather stripping tape that is sold by hardware stores is close to what Parts Express sells for speaker gasket tape. Get the smallest thinest size. Not only does it seal the driver but the foam reduces baffle vibration/resonance. That's why I always use it with open baffles which don't require a seal.

Roger that.

Re resonance & vibe i like how i can hear the cabs 'work with' the drivers. The cabs are not braced and that's how it was meant to be. No damping mats either.

I'm actually quite interested in silver cables, only if my requirements were short cables. I need at least 7m pairs, and thats a lot of money in silver.

Same here. The cost shouldn't be so bad considering it will be single strand runs. The heavier gauge stuff is pricey, but the thinner stuff can be a good value.

Roger that.

Re resonance & vibe i like how i can hear the cabs 'work with' the drivers. The cabs are not braced and that's how it was meant to be. No damping mats either.

If your cabs have removable baffles, you can add bracing. Some people even use thick dowel rods as bracing. As far as damping mats, you can always use inch thick fiberglass insulation, dacron (comes in rolls), thick carpet padding, eggcrate foam, or even wool. There are plenty of materials that can be used. I know many don't like fiberglass, as they say the fibers can be blown out into the air, but I've never had issues with it. I use fiberglass in my EV cabs.

Last edited:
Same here. The cost shouldn't be so bad considering it will be single strand runs. The heavier gauge stuff is pricey, but the thinner stuff can be a good value.

The single strand Clear Days are $135 for an 8' pair. Expensive compared to the White Lightnings but cheap compared to a lot of other stuff.
Again, I don't have experience with anything higher end than the Tara Labs I mentioned earlier, but amongst the list that I've used, I think the Clear Days win out though the Shotguns are a tad nicer than the Singles imho.

The single strand Clear Days are $135 for an 8' pair. Expensive compared to the White Lightnings but cheap compared to a lot of other stuff.
Again, I don't have experience with anything higher end than the Tara Labs I mentioned earlier, but amongst the list that I've used, I think the Clear Days win out though the Shotguns are a tad nicer than the Singles imho.

Wow, that's a very good price. Where did you get them? Nevermind, found the sight. Those look like a bargain.

Wow, that's a very good price. Where did you get them? Nevermind, found the sight. Those look like a bargain.

I've been happy. I thought about making my own but heck, the cost of materials isn't that far off the price of Clear Day's cables.
Again, No affiliation

FWIW, the silver wire Down Under us pretty pricey.

When I'm forced to shorten the distance between the speakers and my listening seat, I will definitely explore the world of silver wires. Until then, I'm having the Cat5e in my mind, or even single enameled copper coil again.

I like having the distance as long as possible, not to mention having nothing between the speakers.

These are a lot more important than having silver wires :smoke:

This picture was taken at Hornfest and the 3 chassis amp is a "Dowdy Llama" $35,000 GM70 SET. If you look closely you'll see several White Lightning speaker cables aka Walmart Woods Patio Cord.

img_4038.jpg

Back
Top Bottom