What speakers are pushing...

WildWest

What speakers are you pushing...

...with your low power SET amp? I see that there are many on this forum with low power amps. What speakers are you using or what are you building and why? I need to start collecting information and doing the homework to eventually see where I want to go. Your help and point of view is so greatly appreciated as many of you sure know your stuff. Thanks mucho for your effort in posting anything on this subject that you can! :yes:

Last edited:
Well WW I'm not using SET power but SEP power. My current choice of speakers are the Altec A7 VOTT's. I actually got the amp to go with the speakers and not the other way around.

Mike

Yeah that's a nice speaker alright! But I have a space problem that won't let me use that type of cabinet. Bummer eh?! :(

I use a pair of JBL C-34's with my 300B amps. Why do I like
them? Clean bass punch from a 15" basshorn, they're JBL, they're
almost 50 years old, horn mid and high's. Works for me!:)

Carl

No gallery pics from me yet. No nice pics taken yet. I have this one already on my HD. Hope it's sized right.

Carl

I switch between Klipsch Cornwalls and home-made mass-loaded TQWT's populated with the venerable Radio Shack 40-1354 full-ranges (see http://geocities.com/rbrines1/) with my Bottlehead Paramour 2A3 SE mono amps.

The former are more efficient (ca. 100 dB) and have more bass than the latter, but I enjoy them both very much and in fact divide my time about 40/60, respectively, between the two.

There's a photo of one of the TQWT's in the "Gallery" forum.

If you're tight on room, I might recommend EV Aristocrat cabinets w/ 12 inch coaxials (EV 12TRXB's, University,Jensen,etc).

They fit nicely into corners which helps give good bass from a 12.

I dig 'em.

Lee

Boy, you guys are driving some great speakers with your tubies. I have a 5 watt per channel SET ASL MG SI 15DT integrated, sourced by a tube output Ah! Njoe Tjoeb CDP driving a pair of Axiom made Michaura M55s or M66s (I switch between them) and a partsexpress.com Vance Dickason Titanic 10" subwoofer.

The combination is ridiculously terrific. Enormous sound stage, wide, deep and high, sparkling highs, mids which make me grin like a chimp and strong bass from the sub.

The M66s go a bit deeper and the mids are a bit 'richer,' but there's just something about those gorgeous M55s which I love. (I have upgraded them with Caddock resistors, Jensen paper/oil caps, silver wire, and fuses removed.)

Man I wish I could afford a plane ticket to come hear those! I'm
soooo jealous! Just plain beautiful! :thmbsp:

Carl (wanting Edgarhorn's)

Heils are magic and very efficient. I think you would love the 2 ways here in the puter room. 15" Altec 416s in some old ported Jensen Cabs with the Heils isolated on top. Lots of bass, good mids and wonderful highs with only some big old oil caps on the Heils for Xovers at 8Khz which is where the Altecs roll off. Easily heard outside the house even with SE 6BQ5s. Might make your tone arm bounce!

"Heils are magic and very efficient. I think you would love the 2 ways here in the puter room"

Got any pics or are they already in the gallery?

Hi WildWest,

For TRULY low-power SET amps (anything in the 2-watt to 10-watt range), I like using speakers by either Cain & Cain or Audio Note. But given the wattage of your ASL 845 amps, I would recommend adding Living Voice to your audition list as well.

Cheers,
Brian

Tannoy System 12 DMTs + SE 845

Today I got my new pair of deHavilland Aries G SE 845 amps plus the UltraVerve preamp, and finally get to hear them with my recently-acquired Tannoy System 12 DMT's.

GREAT COMBINATION! Could be the start of a serious love affair.

The Tannoys are 96db, which on the 30 watts of the deHavs goes a LONG WAY. They are easy to pick up and place by myself, unlike many efficient speakers too.

I wonder how the System 15s would work... 98db.... or the big 215s, 101db...

Altec 604-8G's in 9ft3, 40hz tuned corner cabinets. I love full tilt Edgar horns with his horn subs but for me, I'd only want them if I had a huge room and you can forget about WAF, I mean zero chance of you getting them in your living room :) .

I really like the concentric horn mounting of the 604's and in that vein the Tannoy's might be a great consideration as well. Every time I have heard the large format Tannoy's - even when used as monitors in a bar (!!) - I liked them and it sure is nice to have the option of a current production speaker.

Back
Top Bottom