What speakers do you run on your Pioneer SX-1250?

Onebean

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I was cleaning up today and moved my SX-1250 to a different storage spot on my shelf. I started dreaming about the system this would exist in, and started wondering what speakers match up good with it. It has lots of power, so is it a match with even the toughest to drive speakers? I'm thinking full range floor standing speakers. What have you used that you liked?

My dream system would be the SX-1250 with my Pioneer PL-41 turntable, and either my Pioneer RT-707 or my Revox B-77. I'd probably need to add some sort of streaming device too. My hope is this system would land in my living room for semi serious listening.

Let me know what you like for speakers with this brute.

Onebean

I use Klipsch Kg4 speakers on my Pioneer SX-950 and it is sweet. Maybe some bigger Klipsch, like Forte or??

I sold a guy just today a beautiful set of Pioneer CS99a speakers for his 1250.He has some Pioneer CS63dx but wanted an all Pioneer four speaker setup.

I too have HPM 150s. My sister is using them with my Sansui 3500. Don't confuse them with the 100s. They're very different. Even the parts that look the same are different. The 150s are built noticeably better, disperse much better, go much louder and farther in top and bottom and do it with no sign of distortion. Was a great Pioneer match for my 980 that I sold, better than CS99A speakers that are still here.
I'm not getting into whether or not the 150s are audiofile speakers.
I sold my 100s when the 150s showed up.
I will be surprised if you find 150s.

Yea, a quick look around showed no 150's for sale. I'll keep my eyes open for a set, they look fantastic. Keep the suggestions coming.

Onebean

Yea, a quick look around showed no 150's for sale. I'll keep my eyes open for a set, they look fantastic. Keep the suggestions coming.

Onebean

Have you ever thought of listening to some speakers? After all, that's what they're for.:dunno:

I just had my CS 88s re-capped (I pick them up Wed) and was impressed with them before I had the re cap. The guy that worked on my 88s called me from his store (he owns Delta Breeze Records) with the speakers playing in the background, driven by a Sansui 9090, and he said "THEY FREAKING HAVE SO MUCH BASS!"

The 88s are not a mess like so many high end Japanese speakers where top of the line meant more drivers in various combinations......and they have a decent sized cabinet for their 12 in woofer. I was sure the cabinets were too small for a 12 in woofer but I was wrong, they are really impressive. And they dont have the crappy speaker foam like the "A" models do.

31944865_1892170077469597_6827441165189513216_o.jpg

The more responses to this thread the more different speakers will get suggested. Most will chime in with a recommendation for their current favorite. Buying a speaker unheard on someone's recommendation is akin to letting someone else choose your mail order bride.:idea:

The more responses to this thread the more different speakers will get suggested. Most will chime in with a recommendation for their current favorite. Buying a speaker unheard on someone's recommendation is akin to letting someone else choose your mail order bride.:idea:

I guess I see your point, but isn't the point of this forum to share experiences and knowledge. If I follow your path, I'd have to lug my SX-1250 around to hi-fi shops and craigslist sellers houses to demo speakers before buying. That doesn't sound like much fun either.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. If I hadn't taken the knowledge I've gained on the AK, and applied it to my system, it wouldn't look or sound anything like it does today.

I'm posting here because speakers sound so different that only hearing them can help you make a decision. There are far more differences between speakers than any amplifier or receiver. The brand of receiver used for initial listening to any speaker is irrelevant. A quick audition of just about any speaker will tell you whether or not it's worth your time to give it a longer listen. For instance I think Pioneer HPM Series speakers (HPM100 and 150) sound awful regardless of which receiver they're connected to. Yes I've heard them connected to an SX-1250. It didn't make them sound better. I'm also no fan of Klipsch. However, there are many posters here who love speakers from Pioneer and Klipsch.

You might love Klipsch speakers or the Pioneer HPM Series. However, the only way to tell is to actually listen to some speakers. It's not necessary to cart your receiver around. Audible receiver differences are extremely small. Personally I'd pick a pair of Polk SDS's over anything from Pioneer or Klipsch. I'm not suggesting what I actually like and use because for me only planars need apply. Planars are a true love hate type of speaker just as many others are. I've been exclusively using planars of one type or another since 1976.

FWIW: I don't mean to offend anyone. I'm just trying to get the point over that speakers sound so different that relying on someone else's opinion without an audition is the easiest way to end up with the wrong speakers. As more recommendations for other brands accumulate in this thread perhaps you'll begin to understand my point.

BTW: I'm not really a big Polk fan. It's just that Polk SDS models sound better to me than any HPM or just about all Klipsch.

Joe, thanks for the clarification. Interestingly enough, I wondered if anyone would chime in and say they are running Planar speakers. Seems like the power is there for something like a Magnapan.

IME Magnepans are not receiver friendly. Electrostatics are even less receiver friendly. YMMV.

I think the opinions here have value as indicators. I don't dismiss the collective opinions of others out of hand. Pretty much everything said with a general consensus about each popular vintage speaker's personality has been in the ball park.
So, from what I have on hand at this time try these for economy buy in.

Wharfedale W70D- Run with a tweeter swap and no other changes for most music. Great bang for the buck. Drive a couple of hours for this one at the right price.
Kenwood KL777A -If you want the drums in the room. Has other limited uses. Run as is.
Advent OLA. --------Just because it's really good. Replace the foams, hope the tweeters aren't dry and run as is.
KLH Model 5. -------Just because it's really good.. Replace the failed caps so the tweeters will work again, limit your power and run as is.
Fisher XP10 ---------Run with a tweeter swap and 20 to 20 eq at the least to help the roll off on both ends. That and a minor crossover alteration is the "total" cure. Goes down to 26 clean, and will drain a 40 watt amp if it's set up to work with the eq. Get it right and they can really bring it. From the bottom to the top.

Skip
Fisher XP7b- ---Not worth the necessary fixin.
MachOne---------Lack of lower bass and big spike at bottom of mid. No know reasonable cure.
Pioneer CS99a- Great for some music but limited. Super tight but to bright for general use. And $$$$$$
Dynaco A40XL -Great speakers, nice and smooth and you'll fry them with no effort at all.
KLH 17 -----------Nice but just not enough speaker.
All of the above speakers are sealed box. Only the Advents have foam surrounds.
I've nothing to add on the 150s that are in the house, I don't like ported speakers.

Back
Top Bottom