What speakers for my MA9000 ?

kingstoneage

3EE4928D-C4F8-4B87-8C96-FB5D9141032B.jpeg
Hi,
i have the chance to switch to other speakers for my McIntosh system. Because my Tannoy Ardens have some production problems (driver not perfectly glued and the box is also not perfect).
So my dealer offered me not only a new pair of Ardens, he also said he can order another pair of speakers maybe of another brand. So i think of a Sonus Faber Olympica 3 or a McIntosh XR100 for my system. Or should i stay at Tannoy (Turnberry?) or keep the Ardens (a new pair!). I hear a lot of Rock and Metal Music, but i also like Steely Dan.........and a decent look of my system! Any suggestions? Or thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Sorry to read about your speaker problem but it does open up some wonderful choices.

Is there anything about the Arden that you don’t like?

A while ago I heard a 452 on Olympica 3 at Magnolia. I absolutely loved what I heard. It was wonderful.

I love Tannoy, but never heard Arden.

The speakers you listed have totally different sounds.

Do you have to make a decision without hearing the others?

Since I have horns, I think the Arden would be more my long term reference.

Sorry to read about your speaker problem but it does open up some wonderful choices.

Is there anything about the Arden that you don’t like?

A while ago I heard a 452 on Olympica 3 at Magnolia. I absolutely loved what I heard. It was wonderful.

I love Tannoy, but never heard Arden.

The speakers you listed have totally different sounds.

Do you have to make a decision without hearing the others?

Since I have horns, I think the Arden would be more my long term reference.
YES, i have to make a decision without hearing the others........:(

YES, i have to make a decision without hearing the others........:(

I’ve unfortunately done that several times and was sorely disappointed. Sometimes it’s the devil you know might be better than the one you don’t know.

Everyone’s taste is different. Asking for advice can be helpful but you can’t rely on anyone else. I know you know that but I thought it important enough to state here.

Early in my search for the perfect speaker, for example, I bought a pair unheard at the recommendation many, many people. Worse thing I could have done. It was a terrible 2 years despite some moments of enjoyment.

View attachment 1398726
Hi,
i have the chance to switch to other speakers for my McIntosh system. Because my Tannoy Ardens have some production problems (driver not perfectly glued and the box is also not perfect).
So my dealer offered me not only a new pair of Ardens, he also said he can order another pair of speakers maybe of another brand. So i think of a Sonus Faber Olympica 3 or a McIntosh XR100 for my system. Or should i stay at Tannoy (Turnberry?) or keep the Ardens (a new pair!). I hear a lot of Rock and Metal Music, but i also like Steely Dan.........and a decent look of my system! Any suggestions? Or thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
Sorry to hear that... hopefully the next pair won’t turn out as bad! Fingers crossed.

I had a pair of Tannoy Ardens and moved to a pair of Olympica II’s (more open midrange than the III’s, the extra driver gives too much bass imo). Both are great, Sonus is there for long listening sessions, Ardens had a bit too much glare and sizzle on some recordings no matter what combos I tried and though I loved them they ended up finding a new home.

Last edited:
Buying speakers without hearing them is not a good idea. Speakers are imho 90% of the sound that you want from your stereo...maybe more.

Ain't that the truth. A bazzillion dollars and a bad back later I think I finally found my go to speaker. I think. (hope, pray....)

I listened to a pair of XR100's a few months ago at my local dealer. I thought they sounded AWESOME. If I had the cash I would have got them for sure.

-Geoff

Maybe it’s worth considering Olympica 3’s. On a 452 it was awesome.

I had a pair of Tannoy Ardens and moved to a pair of Olympica II’s (more open midrange than the III’s, the extra driver gives too much bass imo). Both are great, Sonus is there for long listening sessions, Ardens had a bit too much glare and sizzle on some recordings no matter what combos I tried and though I loved them they ended up finding a new home.

Tannoy Ardens are special for a number of reasons. They are a true point source speaker and the are modestly efficient and they can handle 600 watts peak power, Only JBL dd67000 can match the same specs have similar low distortion and can handle almost the same peak power. But a JBL 67000 is not a point source speaker. Only true horn loaded speakers can match the efficiency or surpass a Tannoy. Great Plains Audio latest version of a 604 can match the tannoy, but you would have to build your own enclosure. So its not to be considered. You could step up a model in the Tannoy line. The Canterbury I believe. If you truly like the sound either be patient, I know Tannoy will make it right or step up a Model to a more proven design. I prefer line arrays, but they can't easily match the dynamics of a Tannoy and require much more power. Great true point source speakers are something special. Altec 604's and the 15 inch Tannoy are special for their sound and presentation. But only the Tannoy will make you happy.

Last edited:
Think about this, if you were willing to give up 6 or 7 db of dynamic range and some money you could purchase some Magico S5 MKII. They have a great high and mids like a Tannoy, and I will admit sound a little smoother on top. The mid bass isn't as nice as a Tannoy and that is where the most important part of the music spectrum is for me. And they do have to stand away from wall a bit or the bass becomes congested. But having to give up 6 or more DB of Dynamic range, no way. With their all metal enclosures you'll never have to worry about Cabinets coming apart. My favorite JBL is the two way 4435 standing on end with the tweeter horn rotated 90 degrees. I admit the HF quit around 17 kHz, but so does my hearing so that's no issue. They have strong bass , are a little bright so they can be placed against a wall to get a more even balance. They are monitor speakers after all and are designed to be placed up against a ceiling against the wall or on the floor. They are bigger with the two 15" woofers, but have. single full range horn which helps and with only one crossover point have a similar presentation to your Tannoy. They are hard to find, and will need some work to bring them back to 100 %. But they are great speakers and should be listened too at fairly short distances like your Tannoys. They have the same sensitivity as your Tannoys so you won't be loosing any dynamic range. There was an article about a company building custom speakers with Altec 604 latest version with a supplemental 15 " woofer that was revealed at the Rocky Mountain Audio Fair in Denver. That was supposed to be very impressive. I use to like Urei 813 monitor speakers with the 604 and a supplemental 15 " woofer using a special patented crossover that allow the speaker to produce square waves as it was time aligned. But they were very UGLY. UREI eventually got bought by JBL and so the 604's were replaced by a JBL version and were later discontinued. But they had great sound in their ugly black enclosures.. Klipsch speakers are more efficient but a Cornwall won't handle the power you have except for very short peaks. There's a new Klipsch tweeter being sold with the new Corner horns, but don't know when they will be available in the Cornwall. A Cornwall is 5 db more efficient than your Tannoys. So all you really need is a nice 100 watt/per channel amp. Maybe if you liked tubes you'd want to try that ugly new 2152. The MC152 would be a perfect match or maybe one of the smaller integrated units. You are in very rarified air with your choice of Tannoy and there aren't many speakers that match up. If you like point source speakers you have some of the best if not the best. Sure they are not perfect but nothing else is either. Now there maybe some thing else out there that might be your perfect cup of tea, that you might prefer, but you might have to make a compromise, and thats not always a bad thing.

Tannoy Ardens are special for a number of reasons. They are a true point source speaker and the are modestly efficient and they can handle 600 watts peak power, Only JBL dd67000 can match the same specs have similar low distortion and can handle almost the same peak power. But a JBL 67000 is not a point source speaker. Only true horn loaded speakers can match the efficiency or surpass a Tannoy. Great Plains Audio latest version of a 604 can match the tannoy, but you would have to build your own enclosure. So its not to be considered. You could step up a model in the Tannoy line. The Canterbury I believe. If you truly like the sound either be patient, I know Tannoy will make it right or step up a Model to a more proven design. I prefer line arrays, but they can't easily match the dynamics of a Tannoy and require much more power. Great true point source speakers are something special. Altec 604's and the 15 inch Tannoy are special for their sound and presentation. But only the Tannoy will make you happy.
I guess you‘re right, that only a Tannoy will make me happy.....

Kennsing ton has a much smaller bass driver which will compromise low frequency extension, power handling and over all efficiency. Keep looking.

Back
Top Bottom