What specs should I look for in a Mac Mini

CKDC

My late 2008 MacBook that I had been using to stream music crapped the bed.

I am thinking of getting a used Mac Mini (I have the monitor and mouse) or possibly something like a MacBook Air. I am hoping to get something used in the $300.00 range so it will be something from 2010- 2012 era.

(No Windows boxes for me, thank you very much.)

I will be using it to stream Tidal via Amarra via external DAC.

I have an external cd drive to rip discs. I am happy to store data on an external hard drive.

Please feel free to disabuse me of the notion that I don't need a terribly fast processor. Will something like a 1.4 ghz Mac Mini or MacBook Air work well?

Is there one generation of these devices that might have some better hardware inside that might be better than another that might be worth considering?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Somebody recently sold the ideal mini in B/T. The last of the model with the optical drive. I'm thinking of going the headless server route using Daphile when my current 2009 MacBook Pro is no longer viable.

Is the incorporated optical drive something that stands out as optimal?
You can attach an external drive to the newer models. I would get the most recent year I could afford since it will likely be updated with new OS for longer. I have a 2010 and it is running Sierra, but I have a feeling they will be putting it in their "too old to update" bin soon.

Below is the current list of Macs compatible with Sierra:

http://osxdaily.com/2016/06/14/macos-sierra-compatibility-list/

Is the incorporated optical drive something that stands out as optimal?
In the context of running a dedicated headless server yes. Daphile is the OS and the music mgmt/player. I think you can set it up with NAS. Control is on a pad or phone. With a boot CD ROM and an optical drive it's self contained. I haven't done it yet but plan to when my iPod Classic dies I'll switch to a FiiO X5.

Unfortunately, the IMacs with incorporated optical drives are getting old. Close to the period of being no longer supported by Apple... a valid point brought up by oufmtiger.

I am wanting to avoid that "headless server" thing just to avoid the associated hassles. I am not into dicking around with computers.

Agreed they are getting old as is our 2007 iMac and 2009 MacBook Pro. I'm not into dickin around with computers either, however I have found that replacing failed hardware components is pretty simple. If you're not trying to keep up with the newest OS-X+n the old hardware doesn't get slower and will keep on plugging away indefinitely. Hence my interest in running Daphile. There would likely be no meaningful Apple support when running another OS on a brand new Mac anyway. Our iMac is really slow since the last OS update, so all I have left to do is go from 2 to 6 gb on RAM, then it's done. My wife prefers the desktop, so we'll release it with another. When my laptop is done I can get an iPad and a used Mini severed for way less than a new Macbook which will suit 90% of my computering needs. When I really need a computer I'll use the by then shiny new iMac. At least it's a plan.

The Mac Mini mentioned there is the 1.4ghz version.

While affordable, I am back to one of my original questions. Is it powerful enough?

I lack music server experience/knowledge but I would advise one to be aware of OS compatibility. iPads, and iPhones with IOS 9.x and later are only recognized by OS El Capitan systems. Apple is forcing users to upgrade and this will continue with next software release that basically merges OIS and OSX. I like Apple products but I'm not happy with recent changes that makes legacy products and software incompatible with new.

Roger

In the recent past I used a 1.4 ghz MacBook Air w/ 2g or RAM for music only with an external hard drive. Using only the MBA it functioned well, it did not perform very well in "Shared Screen" mode with a MacBook Pro but just for music it worked good.

I have an early-2011 Mac Mini. You could probably find one for $300-350. I doubt you'll find a Macbook Air within your budget.

2.3 Core i5
8 GB RAM

This model allows for TWO hard drives. I installed a 120GB SSD (prices have come down so I would go bigger these days) to run the OS and software and put the existing 1TB drive in the other spot to store movies and music.

I rarely need an optical drive but I have an external one that I plug in on occasion.

It performs extremely well.

I lack music server experience/knowledge but I would advise one to be aware of OS compatibility. iPads, and iPhones with IOS 9.x and later are only recognized by OS El Capitan systems. Apple is forcing users to upgrade and this will continue with next software release that basically merges OIS and OSX. I like Apple products but I'm not happy with recent changes that makes legacy products and software incompatible with new.

Roger

Source for this?

Certain iOS 9 features only work with their counterparts in El Capitan...but the statement "are only recognized by El Capitan systems" seems misleading.

I have Sierra (beta) installed on my 2010 mini and my 4s running 9.3.3 can control iTunes with the Remote app. Not sure what incompatibilities are being mentioned, but this app is still compatible.

Hope my comments weren't misleading.
My wife purchased an iPhone SE last week. I had backed up her old 4s prior to new purchase with a MacBook running Mountain Lion. I intended to restore everything from 4s to new SE. ITunes on the MacBook would not recognize the new SE although it was most recent version available for Mountain Lion. I returned to Apple Store and they confirmed the MacBook would have to be upgraded to El Capitan before it iTunes would recognize or restore despite having previously said it would work on Mountain Lion. I should have realized this myself as the same thing happened last year after purchasing a Mac Minipad and attempting connection to iMac with Mountain Lion. My iPhone 5 update to Ois 9 also necessitated Mac OS updating.

The Apple Store manager was very patient and follow up customer service excellent as always. However, he advised me the new Mac OS was coming soon and the interface would closer reflect the OIS of phones and iPads. I'm NOT looking forward to that!

I assume the new OS must be Sierra and I really know nothing regarding its compatibility:dunno:

Last edited:
Hope my comments weren't misleading.
... they confirmed the MacBook would have to be upgraded to El Capitan before it iTunes would recognize or restore despite having previously said it would work on Mountain Lion.

I would suggest backing up to iCloud. New devices can then be set up without connecting to iTunes.

Back
Top Bottom