What stage are you at with your system?

What stage are you at?

• I'm thinking about it

Votes: 4 1.1%
  • You got the flu and are dreaming

Votes: 8 2.2%
  • starting to build

Votes: 48 13.2%
  • still building-half done? three quarters?

Votes: 84 23.0%
  • a satisfying point- still some tweaking to do?

Votes: 155 42.5%
  • dream system achieved-but maybe....

Votes: 56 15.3%
  • holy grail of dream systems-pinnacle of hifi

Votes: 10 2.7%

• Total voters

exracer

music speaks
I have duplicated the ideas of Atl Buckeye here for all :

:saywhat: - hmm, maybe I should get a system, but I don't know what
:drool:- you got LuFlu and lust over some great gear
:yes:- you start to build
:D- you build more
:tresbon:- you've got to a point where it's quite enjoyable
:banana:- dream system achieved, makes you act like a teenager as you play that old The Blasters LP when nobody's looking (you hope)
:smoke:- The post-coital smoke, what can I say?

I have a bunch of acoustical treatment to do, then someday upgrade the DAC (when the MDA1000 is replaced so I can buy one used) and build my own media server.

"a satisfying point- still some tweaking to do?"
The only gear I'd buy would be MartinLogans or KEF Maidstones... paid for by lottery winnings.
One tweak would be getting the tuner aligned; TT fiddling is an ongoing affair.
Tom

I'm at my satisfying point. Very close to what I want and plan on tweaking here and there to make it better.

Surprising though as it seems like a lot of people voted in that category and it still seems we can't get enough amps, speakers and tt's.

I started with a MC230 tube integrated amp, a MR 67 tube tuner, Empire 598 Turntable and a pair of AR 3a speakers. Back then it was the best to me:banana:

Now I have a MC 275V/C2200, MR 78 tuner, Thorens 810 turntable, MVP851 disc player and a pair of Klipschorns. For now, it is just the ultimate in listening pleasure:music: It will be interesting what will come down the road.

By-the-way, I still have all my old equipment mentioned above! The electronics will probably have to visit Terry for a restoration:yes:
Robert

I'm feeling pretty good:

Main System: Pioneer SX-950 running KLH 6's

Mancave: Pioneer SX-1050 running Large Advents and HPM-100s

Office: Pioneer SA-9100/TX-9100 running KLH 17s

I'm not sure where to go from here, or if I even need to.

i chose #5, 'satisfied...'.
when i can find good quality gear for a reasonable price i'll get it, test it, and if all is ok, add it to my system.

if i had to live with what i've got now (or even minus a few pieces-(altho i hate to think of which pieces i'd get rid of)), no problemo!

Not quite a year ago, I would have said "All done! What more could I possibly want?"

Now, because of all I've read and learned here, I realize that the rig I have is of the dreaded BPC form fashion. Yes, it sounds good *to me*, but you all have me wondering how much better all my stuff would sound if played through a Mac or a Marantz. Certainly, my 1990 era Kenwood is not a quality vintage system by any stretch of the imagination. Odd that I drooled over boat anchor communication rigs for years yet never - until recently - considered the possibility that vintage HI FI gear would have a place in my home/mancave/studio. When I do get a rig, I'll be sure to add a TT to the pile; I still have my only two vinyl LPs which I've not yet heard...
Now, I'm looking. I'm thinking of a Pioneer or Marantz receiver or amp in the 75 to100wpc range to drive my Advents (which I need to get refoamed).

Gearing up to sell some other toys and start on the dream tube preamp + 2 mono block system.

I have compleated several nice systems only to move into something differant and more expencive each time.I am now looking at large Sound Labs and this means even mabey an amp change to drive them harder.20 watts triode dosen't cut it with electrstatic speakers.

I am attempting to put together a system as close to the first quality system I owned. I just found the center-a Kenwood KA-3500 amp. I'm still looking for a Dual 504 TT or a BIC 940-980. Replacing the speakers isn't easy-I had those little AR-18's...I've ended up with Sony and KLH speakers and a new Hitachi TT I found on EBAY...It'll have to do for now...

I have the amplifier, cd player( none of that SACD stuff ever did it for me, not sure whay just never worked...) turntable , pre amplifier and speakers that I will NOT part with --Cartridge maybe..................but the rest is just right for me!!!

I'm almost done (dream system achieved-but maybe....), but since that would mean I don't have to toy around with new gear, I started a second system from bits and pieces. If I take the 'big system' as a benchmark, I estimate I'll be busy for thext 25 years or so.

A satisfying point - still some tweaking to do?

This is where I'm at. I'm pretty happy with what I have at the moment, but would like to upgrade.

Problem is, to do so, requires a lot of research and making sure I'll truly be satisfied as the upgrades
from here start getting pretty expensive. :yes:

Scott

Since I finally come to realize what i like and enjoy the most, im slowly getting rid of what i dont like. The problem im having, is the particular stuff i enjoy is hard to find. and when i do see the namebrand on an item and buy it, turns out there is a better model for sale 2 weeks later. :scratch2:

I have reached the point where I'm not really looking to upgrade anything and am going to just play around with different amplifiers to see what's out there.

Back
Top Bottom