What stage are you at with your system?

What stage are you at?

• I'm thinking about it

Votes: 4 1.1%
  • You got the flu and are dreaming

Votes: 8 2.2%
  • starting to build

Votes: 48 13.2%
  • still building-half done? three quarters?

Votes: 84 23.0%
  • a satisfying point- still some tweaking to do?

Votes: 155 42.5%
  • dream system achieved-but maybe....

Votes: 56 15.3%
  • holy grail of dream systems-pinnacle of hifi

Votes: 10 2.7%

• Total voters
I've reached a level point for enjoyment. There's always room acoustics to work on, but well see. :music:

Just starting to learn what I like, so there're lots of changes going on.

Last edited:
I have a bunch of acoustical treatment to do, then someday upgrade the DAC (when the MDA1000 is replaced so I can buy one used) and build my own media server.

This has to be a commonplace level for lots of us. We generally have 1 or 2 of most important sources and systems, but crave the next (for me) level of DAC and server. It's still somewhat a mystery to me what with the myriad of choices. I wish that with all the discussion going on here (even the specific conversations) someone could lay it bare with no complication, in a simple step-by-step flowchart configuration for us dummies they write those yellow books for (hehe)...:banana: In the day I could figure out the simple flow of a system (TT, receiver/integrated,speakers) but now the components are more specialized, there are more price points, more choices all round, too much to consider. I want to know so I can achieve the nearest thing to sonic nirvana within a budget but there's a learning curve to consider. All I have to do is read a thread on Chinese tube amps and witness all the fiddling and rolling to get frustrated with that, and it's technically a step back, not ahead. I know the improvement must make it feasible, but, I don't know. Months and months of waiting for shipping and the endless fiddling with voltage, bias adjustments, DMM readings, etc., must be endlessly frustrating. I wish there were a best way to have it all without the incumbent headache. Rant over (for now)... :boring:

I put together my main (reference) system back in the late 1970s. Outside of selling my turntable (Micro Seiki DDX-1000 with 3 arms) and replacing it with a Denon (that I also purchased in the same year as the DDX-1000) NOTHING HAS CHANGED.

I am still as satisfied today as I was 30+ years ago. I have not heard anything in the ensuing 3 decades that would make me want to remove any of the electronics from their rack or to move the speakers out of the way.

This is not to say that I have NOT listened to other options. For 2 years I had double 9s and Fulton J models in the same room and listened to both (never at the same time) before selling the Fultons. KLH 9 and Fulton J use the same electrostatic drivers which is why it took several years for me to make up my mind. Other speakers I've listened to include B&W, Rodgers, KEF, Polk, klipsch, DQ10s, JBL, Altec, BIC, EPI, ADS, Mission, Magnapans (and Magneplanars), Quad..... Well you get the idea.... Many of the speakers I auditioned I DID purchase, though they are not in my reference system. Other amps have been listened to... Ampzilla, McIntosh, Crown, Nak, Krell, Levinson, and even a Futterman but the ARC D-350 still anchors the rack.

Sure there is a LOT more "stuff" to listen to but so far nothing I have auditioned has made enough impact on me to want to move away from my initial decision. call me stuborn.... but happy :music:

I have reached the point where I'm not really looking to upgrade anything and am going to just play around with different amplifiers to see what's out there.

Bwahahaha. I've upgraded almost everything since writing this. But I was telling the truth when I said I was going to play around with different amplifiers.

Now I'm in the category.."dream system achieved but maybe....."

I'm extremely happy with my stereo (look in sig block). Yeah I'm at the "Dream System Achieved - but maybe" stage.

The Maybe being I'm considering adding a phono stage even though my Carver C-4000t has one built in. I'm just curious if an outboard phono stage will be an improvement or not. I'm still also pondering the thought of adding a subwoofer.

Once in a while I think I need one and other times when I'm really cranking I think, damn, this gear just sounds stunning!! I know people say the Lascalas are somewhat lacking in the bass department but I can tell ya, they sure kick the hell out of me, make the floors bounce and my skin vibrate.

I have just about all I need to build a sub. Just need to get a driver so who knows, maybe one day.

Okay, I did it, built a sub and got a Jolida phono stage. Now I know I'm done! I have reached musical nirvana. Every morning I cant wait to turn on the gear. It seems to sound better every time. I'm still not sure if the sub is anything to brag about but I do have it set low. It does add a bit of extra air movement though so maybe it'll be a keeper. One huge improvement was putting up a Turntable shelf. The floor in the cave was real bouncy so the shelf did eliminate Tonearm skipping. My gear buying dayz I would say are over with the exception of trying out some different MC cartridges

Last edited:
I would say I have exactly what I want, that will fit in my listening space.

That said, I can always hope that a pair of Khorns and another pair of MC60's fall in my lap....

Are you guys sure this isn't a disease?

I'd say I'm getting started. I have some gear that I'm quite happy with but living in a small apartment with my girlfriend means I can't really mess around with things like optimum speaker placement. I also have to keep it quiet since I live on the second floor of a 3-story building. Buying a house will really be the next big step for my system.

Between the equipment and speakers I have, it's as close to nirvana as I'll ever be able to afford to get. The only stuff I have heard that I think is better costs a horrendous amount of money (by my standards.) What I'm sayin' is, I'm happy with it.:music:

Always looking for a good deal, but not to imply buying just anything that comes along because it's a good deal.

Pc system is nearly done driveing with Akai AM-2600 Amplifier and Technics SB-4, Only need my reserved Technics SB-L60 speakers so my SB-4's can replace the rear speakers of my HT set.
My tv system needs a better HT receiver and better front speakers and a subwoofer
Now i drive the system with Yamaha Rx-v590 2x Technics SB-R4's (one front and one rear set) and Jamo D-165 front speakers

I'm done buying. Might still do some recapping and restoring. Still buying music but on a very limited basis (I got 2600+ LPs) Might build a new set of speakers.

But basically I have moved on to the next obsessive hobby and just turning this one on when I want music.

Having spent the past 5 years building with some time of house remodeling. I think I am at a good place. I have stopped waking up in the middle of the night screaming, "Eureka!" as the latest idea has come to me.

Accomplisments:
Built a 5.1 system Onkyo807, OppoBR, Panasonic plasma, and DefTech speakers - Actually the Onkyo has line out to a Sony G57ES which powers speakers on the back deck directly, drives an fm transmitter to run speakers around the pool area and soon will power an underwater speaker, yes, within the pool.
Last tweak here is to get the housing to fit the speaker into.

Built a stereo system, most of it is in my sig, with an addition of an Onkyo cd and Thorens tt.
Tweaks here are:
To add headphone capability to this system and also add a computer in.

The last tweak is to find a place to run my Onkyo A9555 hooked up to my 4 Dahlquist DQM-9s for when I want it loud.

This has been a labor of love and while it may seem excessive to some, really took place over more than 5 years so the life impact wasn't too drastic. Also a lot of help and information came from AK and other boards. Thank you.

Ok, finally. Minus a few details...azimuth gauge for my turntable, stuff like that..I'm Done!

Final system after 5 years of learning, trying and buying:

VPI Classic Turntable with Benz Micro Glider cartridge.
Marantz Reference SA-11s2 CD/SACD player.
Fisher FM-200b tuner.

Marantz Reference SC-11s1 preamp
Mark Levinson 432 power amp.

Quad ESL/PRO-63 electrostatic speakers.

Various interconnects/cables of decent quality. I need a longer balanced cable between preamp/amp but that won't really change much.

Done! Such a strange feeling. I think it sounds amazing, but it sure took a lot of experimenting, searching, learning, reading, and heading down wrong paths.

I have reached the point where I'm not really looking to upgrade anything and am going to just play around with different amplifiers to see what's out there.

I think I've replaced everything except my turntable since writing this.

I enjoy the sounds the little boxes make, now.
But it was a fun few months......

About all I do is listen now.....Heaven.

Only one thing left................

I want JohnVF's cartridge.
That's all.

Back
Top Bottom