what subwoofer for an Onkyo TX-8020 receiver?

Jason1979

Hi, I recently got my Onkyo TX-8020 receiver and got it all hooked up and it sounds great, but it has an output for a subwoofer. I am unsure how powerful or what size of a subwoofer I should get for a receiver of this size. The receiver outputs 50 watts per speaker, and I am outputting 2 speakers as it's a stereo receiver. The speakers I have go up to 120 watts. What wattage should the subwoofer be for a receiver of this size? And should it be passive? I am a bit confused by all the terms when it comes to subwoofers. I see some go up to 500 watts and more, that seems way too much am I correct? I see some around 60 and 80 watts, that seems more like what I should be looking at getting, or am I wrong? Also who makes a good subwoofer, what companies I mean. I have Sony speakers now, and they are great, but I'm not sure if they are considered a good subwoofer maker or not.

You should look for a powered sub . Your amp is only going to send a signal to the sub and the powered sub will do the rest . I would look for a powered sub of over 100w . You can then adjust the output of the sub with the controls on the sub . Hope that makes sense

thanks butch, I understand what you're saying, that I can get a powerful subwoofer, and then just turn it down if it's too loud, but better to go with more power and have the option of turning it down, rather than get one that is not powerful enough. There are many in the 100 to 150 watt range. Thanks again for the help.

Sure thing . I find that a good sub really improves the overall sound of a system . Read reviews of the ones that you are looking at.Google is your friend . Good luck !

Back
Top Bottom