What tape (any format) are you playing now?

Peter Frampton - Breaking All The Rules. 1981
Yellow Sony Walkman Sports WM-AF54,
Realistic Pro-50 Cans.

Was changin' around some things in my system and didn't feel like working on it anymore,tinker tomorrow.
So, just cranked up a cassette tape in the Sony,donned AKG"s offering under the Realistic brand...it'll do until I crash.
I'm not proud.:music:

A home made tape of Rosemary Clooney with Duke Ellington,also Tony Bennett doing movie songs and Frank Sinatra/Tommy Dorsey. Made on a Kenwood KD 1030,playing back on a Teac 450 BR and a Pioneer CTF 9191.

Nat "King" Cole, The Unforgettable Voice. At a thrift I picked up 25 cassettes at 25 cents a pop. Some were unopened. Benny Goodman, Louis Armstrong, Glenn Miller, + Ink Spots, Bing etc. Playing back on a Nak CR-1A.

Just played some Sinatra and a couple of home recorded mixed tapes of unknown origin on my little Somy TC-377.

I haven't used if for a while and for some reason it sounds very boomy. :scratch2:

recording and listening to the hurting by tears for fears, bought it on vinyl and sounds like hell, bought the cassette and i'm loving the sound. i get excellent results recording from tape on audacity. recording records of low production value and highs get distorted. it's never an issue with tape. i hook directly to back of the cassette deck. i have a marantz sd 1015 and i love it. honestly been playing more tape lately than vinyl. best thing about tape is how cheap they are to acquire. usually about 10% of what the vinyl goes for. i like the sound. been recording vinyl on tape as well to hear in the car. sounds awesome and takes me back. sounds like listening to records in the car. the mp3 player hardly gets touched anymore. all my files on the mp3 are wav or wma or wma pro. mp3 is no longer a viable listening option. i find it to be intolerable. cassettes seem to have great range and depth. i think people hate tape cause they're supposed to, not cause it sounds bad.

recording and listening to the hurting by tears for fears, bought it on vinyl and sounds like hell, bought the cassette and i'm loving the sound. i get excellent results recording from tape on audacity. recording records of low production value and highs get distorted. it's never an issue with tape. i hook directly to back of the cassette deck. i have a marantz sd 1015 and i love it. honestly been playing more tape lately than vinyl. best thing about tape is how cheap they are to acquire. usually about 10% of what the vinyl goes for. i like the sound. been recording vinyl on tape as well to hear in the car. sounds awesome and takes me back. sounds like listening to records in the car. the mp3 player hardly gets touched anymore. all my files on the mp3 are wav or wma or wma pro. mp3 is no longer a viable listening option. i find it to be intolerable. cassettes seem to have great range and depth. i think people hate tape cause they're supposed to, not cause it sounds bad.

I really tried with tape. Grew up with cassettes. Now use my reel to reel, and I DO love it.

However, I got so fed up with cassettes going bad, being eaten, loss of magnetism over the years. If I had a refurbished Nakamichi, I'm sure I'd feel different.

My Sony MD player is superior to any cassette player I've ever heard. I don't have to worry about the tape being gobbled up, or magnets, or hiss.

I own a Teac A430 which needs belts, and a Pioneer CT-F900 which has new belts, but needs motor rebuilt.

Which means it will never be played again.

I can see the attraction, but cassettes proved to be a hassle for me over the long haul.

Nick Danger here on AK turned me back onto cassettes, and his are recorded really nice. I broke out my surviving Sansui deck and have enjoyed his mix tapes.

Which reminds me, at the local Goodwill, there is a TEAC cd that is labeled "How to Successfully Record CD to Cassette" and it has all these test tones, selected songs, etc.

It's 2 bucks, and I'll pick it up if anyone is interested. It's been there awhile.
No affiliation, just seems like a great tool for tapeheads.

I really tried with tape. Grew up with cassettes. Now use my reel to reel, and I DO love it.

However, I got so fed up with cassettes going bad, being eaten, loss of magnetism over the years. If I had a refurbished Nakamichi, I'm sure I'd feel different.

My Sony MD player is superior to any cassette player I've ever heard. I don't have to worry about the tape being gobbled up, or magnets, or hiss.

What a pitty for you, that you have never had the chance to listen to anything but low end or sad-condition cassette decks.

I own a Teac A430 which needs belts, and a Pioneer CT-F900 which has new belts, but needs motor rebuilt.

Which means it will never be played again.

I can see the attraction, but cassettes proved to be a hassle for me over the long haul.

Nick Danger here on AK turned me back onto cassettes, and his are recorded really nice. I broke out my surviving Sansui deck and have enjoyed his mix tapes.

Which reminds me, at the local Goodwill, there is a TEAC cd that is labeled "How to Successfully Record CD to Cassette" and it has all these test tones, selected songs, etc.

It's 2 bucks, and I'll pick it up if anyone is interested. It's been there awhile.
No affiliation, just seems like a great tool for tapeheads.

What a pitty for you, that you have never had the chance to listen to anything but low end or sad-condition cassette decks.

That's key, there. Sad condition indeed.

However, after much struggle, I got a belt on my late uncle's sansui. DR915 or something or other. Very nice deck.

Still won't record, still doesn't auto reverse, but sound is pretty good.

And that CT-F900 Pioneer worked awhile until the motor laid down. And it too, sounded better than most.

But with all the trouble, it felt like putting lipstick on a pig. 1 7/8 ips is just not much to work with.

My Pioneer 1011L at 7 1/2 sounds super.

But guess what? I think its messing up too. Rewinding last night, it got slower and slower, and I SMELLED that unmistakable stink of bad electronics.

DAMMIT!!!!:dammit::mad::rant::rant:

So, while I'm holding on, it's getting to be a pain for me. I'm 100 miles or greater from a decent repairman. Money's tight for me, and many others, and my digital server has 17k songs.

Just picked up some unopened rtr tapes at an estate sale for .50c a piece, so I haven't completely given up. :thmbsp:

I'm listening to Joe Sample - Carmel on a 1979 TDK SA90 recorded from vinyl in 1982. It came in a box of used tapes. The entire box of used tapes (30 of them) are all labelled and in excellent condition.
Played on a Hitachi HT-550
Record on a Pioneer CT-9R.

It really sounds amazing. I'm playing it back on my Rx505! Im highly impressed by the previous owners attention to detail:thmbsp:

A home made mix tape, current song Prince doing "One of us". I actually like his version better than Joan Osborne. The guy actually plays some good guitar.

That's key, there. Sad condition indeed.

I kinda wish I kept my cassette deck, but I sold it for parts several yrs ago. I had an Akai GX-F31....simply the best tape deck I ever had. It made the best sounding tapes PERIOD! Luckily I still have all the tapes, maybe 30-50 of vinyl and CD I copied for my car tape deck at the time.
The metal position gave me insane sounding results.....but the FF basically quit on me as well as the mechanical door open function and the play speed was going out. I am fine with it as was not really interested in doing the repair work and paying $100 for repairs, I think I paid $299.00 for it in 1983-84 brand new. But 20yrs of use I think I did pretty damn good......no desire to start with cassettes again.

Rare Earth Ecology......Really really enjoy this reel. My reel player is setting on the bench from a couple weeks ago. This thing is still acting up after a couple reels of play time :screwy::screwy::screwy:

Attachments

• SDC10475.jpg
    SDC10475.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 18
Back
Top Bottom