What tape (any format) are you playing now?

I set up my cassette deck for tonights listening session. I have some special live jazz fusion tapes to listen to later this evening.

Now . . .

Ginger Baker ~ Going Home
with Bill Frisell and Charlie Haden

Tony Williams ~ Believe it

20181214-164657.jpg

20181214-164554.jpg

This is special for me . . .

I attended this show in 1978 and recorded this concert onto cassette about 3 weeks after the show off of a radio simulcast on WXRT Radio, Chicago called "The Unconcert" with my Wollensak 4765 Cassette deck I bought new in '76. Cobham was touring with his new album "Magic" at the time. WXRT connected their tape deck (have no idea what the unit was) straight to the soundboard. Sounds incredible after 40 years!

20181214-164752.jpg

Those were the days . . .

Billy-Cobham-PW-1978.jpg

Recently bought a Yamaha TC-1000 with new belts and in nice shape.
So I dug out my tapes from the closet.

First thing I put on was this:
"KRAUT! DEMONS! KRAUT! German Psychedelic Underground 1968-1974"
(Maxell XL II 90)
IMG_20190102_080038.jpg

Back in the 70s and 80s, John Oswald was doing tape cut-up and sampling with enormous implications.
His PlUnDeRpHoNiCs experiments were taking, what was at the time taboo, to the next level, irregardless of what was going on in the Rap and Hip Hop world.

Using popular songs by established artists and reworking the programed music into new pieces of art was first, against copyright laws and second, not considered proper etiquette.

He was sued by Sony and Michael Jackson and given notice by the CRIA for using Jackson's image and music for PlUnDeRpHoNiCs. The 3000 free CDs he made were destined for public and college radio stations in Canada and the US.
Custom officials stopped the shippment at the Canadian boarder and ordered them destoryed by crushing them in a hydraulic press.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Oswald_(composer)

Back then you could mail Oswald a cassette and $2 in postage stamps and he would dub off a copy for you.
http://www.plunderphonics.com/xhtml/xnotes.html
This is one of my favorite tapes.
It's since been re-released in CD form, some 10 years later.
John Oswald "PlUnDeRpHoNiCs"1989
(TDK SA 90 IEC Type II)
IMG_20190102_081340.jpg

IMG_20190102_081429.jpg

French progressive and Univers Zero offshoot-

PRESENT "TRISKAIDEKAPHOBIE"1980
(Maxell XL II 100, side one)

PRESENT "LE POISON QUI REND FOU"1985
(Maxell XL II 100, side two)

Back
Top Bottom