What the heck are these?

canuckaudiog

On a quest for high fidelity
They look pretty mid-fi to me, but they are big and have nice cabinets. Maybe I'm wrong about them? Any ideas what they are?

$_20.JPG

They are 'Sentry 100' speakers

I have a pair, too. Here's the scoop: “These Sentry loudspeakers were built by a company owned by Steintron, the same company that owned Kellys Stereo, House of Stein and Prolinear speakers. They were built in house to be sold at the Kellys and House of Stein stereo chains only.

The drivers are CTS as Steintron bought all the drivers in stock when CTS went out of business in the 70's. That was 1977 till 1979, and then they blew out all the left over stock in about 1981. CTS made quality components, often found in instrument amplifiers and in other brands of speakers.

These speakers were built from 1977 - 1981. And they were commonly used as control room monitors in AM and FM radio stations.

Each cabinet includes a 15" heavy duty woofer, 4 - 4.5" sealed back midranges and 4 - 2" phenolic ring tweeters.

Frequency response 22 - 20,000 Hz.”

And these things are big, measuring 36" high by 31" wide by 22" deep, and weighing about 100 pounds each.

Attachments

• p3.jpg
    p3.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 729
  • p1.jpg
    p1.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 606
  • p2.jpg
    p2.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 1,069
  • p8.jpg
    p8.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:
20Hz - 20KHz baby! Amazing how they managed to hit those numbers right on the button. :D

The only real Sentry is an EV Sentry, funny how both the cabinet design and gill are almost identical and of course the name. They pop up once and awhile at the thrift stores locally.

attachment.php

Definitely (EDIT) looks like CTS woofer -- looky at that 'filled in' AlNiCo magnet, classic CTS morphology.
Interesting that the ad copy says ferrite -- that doesn't look like a ferrite magnet.

Here's a CTS driver with a ferrite magnet.

dampedcornyhornies by mhardy6647, on Flickr

That "Klipsch" (CTS) woofer above has a vent in the dustcap and an accordion surround, not unlike an Altec driver, FWIW (although the dustcap diameter is rather smaller than the typical Altec's would be).

Strictly an opinion, not immutable fact, but I rather doubt many of these "Sentry 100" speakers would be found monitoring anything in radio stations... Electrovoice Sentry speakers, very possibly; but not the titular speakers of this thread.

EV Sentry III:

sentryIII.jpg

source: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showpost.php?p=6681590&postcount=7

sentry.jpg

source: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showpost.php?p=5628049&postcount=17

vs.

attachment.php

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Last edited:
20Hz - 20KHz baby! Amazing how they managed to hit those numbers right on the button. :D

Wonder just how far down they are at the ends? The tweeter has a flat response to 15k then off the cliff but it hits 20k way down there...so they probably do 20-20k but ±10 or 15 dB.

House of Stein, Kelly's, Records on Wheels, Sam The Record Man.Man, those were the days.Sure brings back memories.They had huge demo speakers, and if I'm correct, they pushed Akai and Nikko gear.

I have lusted after EV Sentry IIIs ever since their introduction. Never could afford them although a couple of my builds use their mid and high end and sound pretty darn good. JOHN

Hi,when I met my friend who sold me the IMF,he had previously own a pair of Sentry IV (big tall speaker with the big horn on top), in a room like 14X12.Driving them marantz 3300 preamp with Marantz amp 250,needless to say he was using an equalizer to adjust the frequency,but man on" Dark side of the moon" or Focus "hocus pocus" almost max level the duplex was shaking,the owner was living below him and one day at night came knocking on the door and was telling to my friend I like music but when the house is shaking I don't like that! Yvan

The Electrovoice (EV) Sentry IV is a very different loudspeaker than the subject of this thread... even though the "Sentry" branded speaker was clearly designed to evoke EV monitor.

Back
Top Bottom