what the heck did I just buy??

vagrantdandy

chasing the sound
Some guy on craigslist was selling these for $10. He said a company was going out of business and his warehouse was holding some of there stock. He said these speakers are Epiphany/paradigm brand, apparently worth thousands. I go the cabinets brand new in crates without the actual speakers. I got two of them, they weigh about 200+ pounds each, have a beautiful walnut veneer and can house 20 four inch drivers and 21 ribbon tweeters in each cabinet and they stand at 7 feet tall. What the hell do I have and what can I do with them??? Haha for $10 bucks I couldn't pass it up, maybe I'll make furniture out of them lol any information would be helpful. The speaker cabinets have no markings or badges anywhere, maybe they're some white Van product? Either way the cabinets are amazing to behold. Think they're worth anything?20170615_165009.jpg20170615_165453.jpg20170615_170705.jpg20170615_172732.jpg20170615_165648.jpg20170615_191314.jpg

No way in hell those are white vans! Polar opposites! They're gorgeous!
Now, the fun begins populating all those driver holes and figuring out the crossovers! You might want to ask on the Parts Express DIY forum. Those guys build some insane speakers and could give you good advice on how to proceed.
I'll be watching this thread. WAF?

Completely agree, those cabinets would cost an absolute fortune to build, the veneer looks beautiful too. I would also look at PE and see where you could get the most bang for your buck driver wise. With their reasonable prices and quantity discounts you may actually be able to afford to populate those things. It's funny, typically getting some well built cabinets would be the bulk of your cost in a nice speaker system, this is one case where the drivers needed to finish then will be a nice chunk of change. I think they would be well worth it though. Nice find and congratulations on your new project!

Completely agree, those cabinets would cost an absolute fortune to build, the veneer looks beautiful too. I would also look at PE and see where you could get the most bang for your buck driver wise. With their reasonable prices and quantity discounts you may actually be able to afford to populate those things. It's funny, typically getting some well built cabinets would be the bulk of your cost in a nice speaker system, this is one case where the drivers needed to finish then will be a nice chunk of change. I think they would be well worth it though. Nice find and congratulations on your new project!
I'm pretty excited to do something with them, I couldn't believe it when I saw the advertisement. He actually has two more, maybe I better get the other pair!

I'd call the seller back and have him start digging for more parts.
He said he had a few woofers for other speakers that weighed a ton but he was keeping those. I wish he had parts for these. Its going to be quite the project transforming these.

Yah, I was taking a cursory glance at PE to see what they had in lower cost ribbons and oh boy my butt what hurting just looking at what this project would cost, start saving your lunch money :biggrin:

No way in hell those are white vans! Polar opposites! They're gorgeous!
Now, the fun begins populating all those driver holes and figuring out the crossovers! You might want to ask on the Parts Express DIY forum. Those guys build some insane speakers and could give you good advice on how to proceed.
I'll be watching this thread. WAF?
Thanks for the advice, I'll ask around. Glad these aren't some white van cabinets, I just couldn't find any maker markings or badges so I wasn't sure, but they are extremely well made with gorgeous walnut veneer. 200+ pounds, they're kind of insane.

Yah, I was taking a cursory glance at PE to see what they had in lower cost ribbons and oh boy my butt what hurting just looking at what this project would cost, start saving your lunch money :biggrin:
Yeah... I think just to populate these I'm looking at the least 4k haha

Maybe start looking at existing speakers with multiple drivers similar to these for a starting point regarding crossovers and drivers combinations.
I like the idea of checking with PE for bulk discount prices.

Early Pipe Dreams speakers is a possibility. My buddy was a dealer at the beginning when they were building line arrays like these shown, one model used square dimpled Mylar drivers.

Early Pipe Dreams speakers is a possibility. My buddy was a dealer at the beginning when they were building line arrays like these shown, one model used square dimpled Mylar drivers.
Holy cow, I just looked at the Pipedream speakers...100,000k whoa buddy! They definitely look similar if not the same. Wow, I hope I can find out more about these.

I'm pretty excited to do something with them, I couldn't believe it when I saw the advertisement. He actually has two more, maybe I better get the other pair!

For $10? A second pair? You actually have to stop and ponder that? I would have to guess that there is someone out there that would take them off your hands leaving you with a small profit that you could use towards populating the 1st pair with drivers.

Cheers,
James

Back
Top Bottom