What tickets are in your pocket? (What's the next concert you are headed to?)

Last week HIRIE came to town (Fresno) , We did a meet and greet ..It was a little awkward, but She did a couple of songs in a tiny Green Room ,, HER VOICE was just outstanding ..

I did a meet and greet with George Thorogood a year or two ago. I'm not a huge fan. I won the tickets and didn't really want them, but went to the show anyway with a friend.

Let me tell you about awkward. Down in the meet and greet room, a handful of people are telling George their stories.

One guy says, "My daughter just got a clean bill of health. She's cancer-free! I couldn't be happier!"

George: "That's great! You know why? One more woman for me!"

I kind of hope I never hear another of his songs.

We have a couple of William Ackerman concerts lined up and paid for. One at Marin Civic Center and another in Folsom.

It’s Iya Terra at Berkeley’s (cornerstone) 11/10/18..
Then it’s off to San Luis Obisbo from Fortunate Youth at the SLO Brew 11/18/18..

Austin City Limits Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony - October 25. Performances by Marcia Ball, Los Lobos, Norah Jones, Boz Scaggs, Gary Clark Jr., Ruthie Foster, Robert Randolph, Irma Thomas, Tracy Nelson, Lou Ann Barton, Shelley King, and Carolyn Wonderland.

Alan
This show last night was very good although, as an award show, there was a lot of talking and some video clips. Inducted were Marcia Ball, Ray Charles, and Los Lobos.

Marcia Ball with Irma Thomas (the Soul Queen of New Orleans), Carolyn Wonderland and Shelley King backing her up, as well as an appearance by Lou Ann Barton. Marcia Ball is always fun.

Tribute to Ray Charles included Norah Jones; Ruthie Foster doing Georgia On My Mind; Gary Clark Jr. doing (Night Time Is) The Right Time backed up by Ruthie Foster, Carloyn Wonderland and Shelley King. This segment also featured Dr. James Polk, Charles' musical directer for a few years beginning in 1978, on piano. Polk appeared with Ray Charles on his first appearance on ACL in 1980. The backing band was a conglomeration of local talent that included David Grissom on guitar and John Mills on saxophones (that I remember).

Los Lobos set was very good and included guest performances by Robert Randolph, Boz Scaggs and Adrian Quesada (Grupo Fantasma). Robert Randolph sharing solos on Don’t Worry Baby was deliriously good.

Funny part is that since they have been showing these induction shows on New Years Eve, there were several references to the new year, including confetti canons at the end.

Overall, a very enjoyable evening.

Alan

Last edited:
metal.jpg

M-E-T-A-L-L-I-C-A 30 NOVEMBER 2018

SALT LAKE CITY! My son and I are flying out for a mini vacation, taking our skis. Hopefully Alta will have some good early snow.
Since we live in Colorado, it's rare that we travel out of state to ski, but since we have Metallica tix, it's a good excuse to see how the other half skis. Haven't been to Snowbird/Alta/Park City since I was in grad school should be fun.

Living close to Atlantic City, I never know when I will get last minute tickets to a performance. But for shows I bought early tickets to, December 16, NYC Town Hall, Noel Nights with the extended family and friends of Kate McGarrigle's kids. Kate used to set this up as an irreverent holiday musical get-together, to force her family and friends to share some holiday time together. Since her death her children (Martha and Rufus Wainwright) continue the tradition every few years. I've seen many great appearances at these shows, including Emmy Lou Harris, Louden Wainwright, Jimmy Fallon, Norah Jones, Cindy Lauper, Laurie Anderson and Lou Reed, to name a few. Plus the musical children of (and sometimes the more famous parents) Richard Thompson, Maria Muldaur, and the Roches. I'm never sure who will be there, but every past show has been great, and under the radar.

Living close to Atlantic City, I never know when I will get last minute tickets to a performance. But for shows I bought early tickets to, December 16, NYC Town Hall, Noel Nights with the extended family and friends of Kate McGarrigle's kids. Kate used to set this up as an irreverent holiday musical get-together, to force her family and friends to share some holiday time together. Since her death her children (Martha and Rufus Wainwright) continue the tradition every few years. I've seen many great appearances at these shows, including Emmy Lou Harris, Louden Wainwright, Jimmy Fallon, Norah Jones, Cindy Lauper, Laurie Anderson and Lou Reed, to name a few. Plus the musical children of (and sometimes the more famous parents) Richard Thompson, Maria Muldaur, and the Roches. I'm never sure who will be there, but every past show has been great, and under the radar.

If your near Atlantic City , Search out a SENSAMOTION show, They are still a new and upcoming Reggae Band..!!

Back
Top Bottom