What to do in Amsterdam?

riksors

I’m just free riding on wifey’s business trip for a week and a half. When she work during the day I’ll be on my own.

What do AK recommend? Must see and do? Things to avoid?

...Brownies and coffee?

Last edited:
Compared to people from other countries, people from USA are always quite obsessed with drugs and the red light district if asking for Amsterdam stuff, if you ask me....

Rijksmuseum indeed, a lot of serious stuff there. Instead of taking a guided tour inside the museum, if you are on your own it is more informative as a lot of stuff is well documented and they have plastic leaflets in each area (English language also).

For the windmills, you can go on the Zaanse Schans tourist trip, it is a USA-alike touristic thing (read: including all bells and whistles). But at least it is easy to get an organized trip , go in the morning and back in the afternoon..
The canal tours are touristic also, but I would recommend them, as it really gives you a nice view.
In Amsterdam, a car is not recommended, it will give you a parking nightmare only.

Try get some more-days public transport ticket for tourists for a fixed amount of money, it saves you a lot and also you do not have to worry about the expensive and stupid Dutch public transport payment thing which lures you if forgetting check out at train bus or tram.
https://www.amsterdam.info/public-transportation-chipcard/ Probably all to get at Amsterdam Central Station and maybe even at Schiphol airport.

To avoid: Tourists doing Amsterdam by rental bicycle. They are easily spotted as they wear helmets :D They may hit pedestrians accidentally.

to get the vibe: I recommend this thriller movie https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amsterdamned it is to be found on you tube :D the Amsterdamned title song by Loïs Lane and "My killer my shadow"by Golden Earring is also nice, the competiting song which did not make it. all to be found on you tube.

Ride a windmill
giphy-1.gif

Compared to people from other countries, people from USA are always quite obsessed with drugs and the red light district if asking for Amsterdam stuff, if you ask me....

For the same reason visitors are obsessed with Disneyland. It is close to me but I never go.

Setting the vices aside, it is beautiful city. Lots of cool, old buildings alongside canals.

Rent a bike and just ride around for a while, maybe even out to the countryside.

For some nightlife, check out the Melkweg (Milky Way). Multilevel club with galleries, bars, and stages. Really cool.

Back
Top Bottom