What to do when you have too many receivers and aren't ready to sell ...

Turntables are tough since each needs to be carefully set up and putting the signal through a switcher and long cables will raise the capacitance and thereby roll off the highs.
Speakers are easy to switch though.

Last edited:
Funny... I was talking with my wife about what to do with all the gear in the event of my demise just a couple days ago. I told her to get on AK...

Hmmm, I can see it now....

ESTATE AUCTION.

"Bob" was a stereo addict for X years and a member of Audiokarma.org for most of that time.
Now that he has gone to the Great Listening Chair In The Sky, we are selling off his collection so we can determine the actual square footage of the property.

My wife asked me once, what would she do with my pile, back when it was just starting to take over the basement.
I told her to call my flipper buddy.
He has now moved away to TX, but the pile has gotten to the point where flying him in to handle the estate would be wise.
I now no longer remember all the things in the piles.
And since I have 3 homes, the piles are scattered across 3 states.

I am running 7 ebay accounts and selling as fast as I can....

ESTATE AUCTION.

"Bob" was a stereo addict for X years and a member of Audiokarma.org for most of that time.
Now that he has gone to the Great Listening Chair In The Sky, we are selling off his collection so we can determine the actual square footage of the property.

My wife asked me once, what would she do with my pile, back when it was just starting to take over the basement.
I told her to call my flipper buddy.
He has now moved away to TX, but the pile has gotten to the point where flying him in to handle the estate would be wise.
I now no longer remember all the things in the piles.
And since I have 3 homes, the piles are scattered across 3 states.

I am running 7 ebay accounts and selling as fast as I can....

Your probably not in a hurry for that "estate sale".... :angel:
Let me know when it is, and I will drive to Duvall for it.... :):):)

ESTATE AUCTION.

I showed this to my wife and she was cracking up... If she knows what the stuff is really worth she might be on AK soon.

Maybe we should have some AK contingency plans? :)

Your probably not in a hurry for that "estate sale".... :angel:
Let me know when it is, and I will drive to Duvall for it.... :):):)

Why wait, come now! Early birds welcome.

Prices won't be any better in the future. Half of my customers are young folks.

I put the stuff in storage up for sale. It takes months to get a serious offer usually anyway. Wife stays off my back seeing the ad up, and I can keep playing with it until I have a serious offer. Heck I have some integrated receivers hooked up solely to use their phono sections.

This question came up recently when my wife and I created a trust and will. I told her that I would get some sticky dots on all my stuff with the values on everything. She is six years younger than I am and we thought this would be prudent. Being me, I have not gotten this done yet.

Earlier this evening, I was admiring my newly acquired Marantz 2385 along with the other "stuff." Just by memory I started adding up what I paid for each and when I got to five figures (this is over a collection period of 15 years), even I started to cringe. But, it has been a fun ride.

I would say that overall the hobby for me has been self sustaining when factoring in my (free) sweat equity and penchant for finding good deals.
As always, our fear is that our spouses will sell our gear for what we told them we paid for it!

couple of plans
1. collect all the Marantzs. holy grails down to pedestrian doorstoppers.
2. buy better looking/performing ones to replace your ones with "bottom corner left-side 2mm scratch"
3. buy, in addition to #1 and #2, ONLY NIB/NOS versions - pay the premiums now 'cause it's all going to triple in 2 years

then wait for the estate sale where
FreddyFlipper, WallyWidowCheater, TeddyTenCents to buy all those wonderful units for pennies on the dollar.

or
Buy 1 sell 2, build the ultimate Marantz system by upgrading until you reach the pinnacle.
and go to Japan for their "keep the Marantz treasures home" and buy everything in sight.

Great Street Creds either way

Back
Top Bottom