What to do!!!

LPD

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
OK I had an auction for a a Heathkit TT1A tube tester and the fellow that won the auction wanted full insurance on UPS shipping. I had the tester packaged by Mailbox Ect. and paid full insurance. Upon receiving the unit he received a bill for brokerage fees and expects me to pay them. He posted negative feedback and has threatened to send the unit back via Paypal and recoup his costs. Is this guy nuts!!! How can I estimate a fee that is calculated after the item clears customs? Do I have any recourse or am I screwed. I attemted to resolve, but this fellow is really being unfair. On feedback he's indicated that I have no proof of shipping and was dishonest about shipping costs.

WTF#@$%#$^%^&

Well, for starters, you need to respond to his feedback, calmly and clearly, that 'Buyer expects me to pay his duty and brokerage fees', or some such. "No proof of shipping"??? But he has the goods! Was this buyer in Canada? Be sure to check his feedback, for the number of transactions. Look for purchases of items in U.S. Unless he is BRAND NEW, he should be familiar with the raping dished out by Canada Customs and Revenue.

I don't know how successful you might be in fighting Paypal. I will leave that for others.

This guy is insane. First off he claims the pictures I sent him of the original receipt are frauds. I also paid $20.00 US more for the item as I misquoted and ate the difference. He's claiming that I have only aided his cause by sending the picture of the receipt. I spoke to Paypal and they indicated that they doubt that his credit card will refund a sale based on a tax/import fee he had to pay in an auction. Nevertheless, I'm done with this fellow. I've posted negative feedback and replied to his negative feedback as clearly as possible. The only downside is that I had until this point %100 positive feedback and now its blemished. I have never been so frustrated. I am almost at the point of regret wishing I'd paid the lousy $20 and rid myself of the loser.

The good ol' US of A. I don't think the charge is a tax, but a processing fee for when it crosses the border. Either way I don't believe I'm responsible for a charge that occurs once an item leaves the country. I guess I will know how well Paypal investigates these things as the fellow is threatening to chargeback on his credit card. Truly bizarre!!

Brokerage, Customs, shipped to the USA? this seems like a puzzle, do these clues mean you live in Canada? It might help others understand your predicament if your 'Location:' profile told us where you live, West Coast???

I don't sell stuff on epay but sure do have a lot of experience with getting bent over by shipping expenses, brokerage fees, duties and taxes when buying from the US. The idea of expecting a seller to pay my goofy government's border fees though sounds ridiculous, but then I don't think I understand the situation/geography.

Please provide more details LPD. What was the value of the item? It's seem bizarre that a vintage tube tester made in the USA was charged duties/tariffs of any kind when imported into the USA. I think in the end though, this is a matter between US customs and the buyer. I assume you provided the value of the item on the customs form from UPS? Maybe the value was misstated erroneously?

Mike

Dude, why get so upset about a negative feedback? Screw the guy and block his email. It has happended to me a few times when shipping North of the border, and I block their e-mails after I have explained to them how THEY were wrong.

LPD said:
I don't think the charge is a tax, but a processing fee for when it crosses the border.

Correct. A broker takes care of filing the neccessary paperwork needed for customs.

If you ship UPS they do it automatically unless one is specified. This is NOT included when you calculate the rate online, they don't even MENTION it. You have to call and ask for it.

In business it is generally understood that this is the buyers' responsiblity unless otherwise specified. If you're willing to ship internationally I'd say it in your listings' fine print.

Chalk it up to experience, don't sweat the feedback, although it does suck, what can you do :dunno: ?

Pete

Thanks Guys. I live in Greater Vancouver, BC, Canada. I have always taken pride in how meticulous and fair I am on my auctions and I think my feedback really speaks for itself except this one incident. My only concern is if this fellow has any recourse or can he make my life hell trying ot do a chargeback?

I must be missing something. I ship parcels to the US via UPS all the time. I've never had a customer get charged any type of brokerage fees. Those fees are normally incurred when duties/taxes are collected by US customs. If no taxes are due then what would you need a broker for? If the buyer is so worried about the $20 tell him to have UPS return it to the nearest point of entry and he can go pick it up there and avoid the fees. My friend has done this exact same thing to avoid the outrageous brokerage fees UPS charges us Canucks. LPD you did fill out a customs form when you shipped this right? I mean you would have to, or how would UPS know where to ship the package too or what was in it?

Mike

I filled out about 100 forms to ship it :D Really the standard UPS shipping form and a content form for insurance purposes. It was insured for shipping and packaging as I had it packaged by Mailbox Ect. He wrote a more civil letter today indicating that he wanted to resolve the matter, and I indicated that I would pay half of the charge only if he agreed to pull the neg feedback as I would do for him. I think he found out that he has no recourse and is backpeddling. I'd like to remove the neg from my unblemished beedback, but if he won't budge, then I'll take it like a champ and learn my lesson.

I think he was full aware of costs and also that unless you were totally off in your discription, Paypal will ALWAYS favor the seller. I know this first hand and I bet he does too. He was trying to bluff you into paying the charge.
If you have agreed to pay half, then you should go ahead and do it, at least you will get rid of the neg feedback.

This thread is why I ship USPS when going north of the border. No hidden charges like you get with the boys in brown. Probably the same headed south.

I guess I am slow,I never heard of a fee being charged Amerucans when stuff is shipped from Canada,
I have shipped stuff and the buyers have never complained of such.Why am I slow?

Alan

Brokerage Fees

Several times I have used UPS to ship to parts of Canada where UPS charges "Brokerage Fees" that were unknown to me. Once I made the mistake of checking the return to me box if not accepted and guess what??

They charged me the fees that caused the buyer not to accept it in the first place. Fortunatly it wasnt much and since I had a UPS account I was charged without knowing. . .

Now I ship to Canada by USPS only and have not run across the "Brokerage Fees" since. However I am surely no expert about taxes, fees or otherwise.

I do make it very clear that if there are any hidden taxes or other fees I am not responsible for them. I always email first explaining this again before shipping when I have a buyer not inside the USA.

The guys are right about "brokerage fees" in Canada.

I usually ship USPS, but for some reason, I shipped a receiver Fedex to Canada last October or so. In a few weeks back, I got a letter from Fedex stating that they had incurred Brokerage fees, GST, and Dutys on the item, and had tried to collect them from the Consignee. They had failed to do so, and that if the Consignee fails to pay, by their policy, the shipper becomes liable.

I think it blows, but since I want to continue to use Fedex, I'm going to have to suck it up and pay. I disclaim these fees in my auctions, but apparently that does hold any water with Fedex. Why the hell they delivered w/o collecting said fees is my concern, but seeing as they know they can stick me with the fees, why should they care???
I guess I can call and threaten to go to UPS, and maybe they'll cut me a break; it is only $35.00 (only to them; a nice chunk of change to me!!)

Lesson learned though; anything leaving here for Canada goes USPS or gets a $40+ Brokerage surcharge slapped on it if they want Fedex.

Well we may have come to an understanding of paying 1/5 of the cost each and hopefully removing the neg feedbacks. Good point on USPS...I've used USPS many times with no charges, only problem is that the package takes forever to reach its destination. Its a decisional balance of time vs. finances. Also USPS will not insure the packaging where UPS will if they package it and when your selling Tannoy drivers ect. people want the best insurance money can buy.

Thanks for the support in a stressful transaction guys, I really do mean it. I was not in very good health this week (cold I acquired at work), crashed my Trials bike and off on a Paypal war!!!

Through all of this I did manage to get Paypals 1-800 number which is

1-888-221-1161

Not sure if it works in the US but its the number I got from a friend.

As for USPS 'brokerage fees, the fees are actually payable to Revenue Canada. UPS/Fedex, et al, charge a fee for collecting taxes and/or duty, which they remit to RevCan. USPS doesn't get involved in that part. At the border, USPS turns over a package to Canada Post, which then collects the $$, and tacks on a $5.95 processing fee, even if it is only for collecting sales tax. The consignee does not get the package, until the fees are paid. Doesn't hurt any that Canada Post is also a govt agency, so they have you coming and going, at least from the receiver's end. Shippers love it. No liability.

Back
Top Bottom