What to expect out of my vintage system?

Giovanni68

I kind of described my system in the introduction thread on the dedicated forum, now let's switch to sound expectations.

The oldest piece in my system is the couple of JBL4311B which I bought in my teen age, they are over 30 years old and still sounding, not just sounding, even the pads still work :rockon: they have been sitting almost unused for a while, then put them a few inches off the floor on a stack of books (when culture helps...) and upside down as to raise the mid-highs off to a sitting ear level, wow, they still rock and the bass is still the JBL one I fell in love with as a teen.

Back at teen age there was a Sansui AU-D7 to drive them along with a Technics direct drive turntable but my dream was (and still is) an Oracle Delphi but this is another story...

Till a year ago there was an Adcom couple to drive the speakers, a GFP345 and a GFA535, the former known as to have a good potential.
A friend wanted to sell his dad's old system gear and I helped him to figure out value and to advert on dedicated forums, when I saw there was a turntable my crush for the Delphi hit back and even tho it wasn't an Oracle but a JA Michell Gyrodec I patiently wait to put money aside and got it along with 3 (!!!) tonearms, a Kiseki step-up and an Audio Research SP9 preamp which sent the Adcom to sit on a shelf (planning to recap it for a second system). Another year passed and I also got, from the same seller, a tube amp, a chinese Aeron AP890 (about which I haven't found much literature if not a few sparse comments) with twin KT88 tubes, I sat the 4311B on two chairs I took off the backyard (when my mum walked in and saw it all she said "a woman could never walk in here..." and I am grateful there isn't any, the day there will be one she gotta accept not just me (...) but all of my toys), got a bit disappointed because, of course, the bass was almost gone when compared to floor level but mid-highs, especially after switching from solid state to tubes, got an incredible boost which made me test the caps on the JBL front still working after such long time.

The turntable is not in working conditions, I need new wires for the headshell and new belt but will get them as a Christmas present probably (would like to sell one or two arms and rewire the Zeta as to recreate the setup the owner used to run), at this moment in time listening FLAC audio through an Apple laptop, I know that not being best solution, will one day get a dedicated DAC whilst both the turntable and the CD player (another almost vintage piece, a Sony CDP-X505ES, goes to restoration, it all works but the pick-up doesn't move along the rails whilst it's spinning the disk) get back into working conditions.

Now the downside, I listen to different kind of music, rock from the 80-90s like Simple Minds, Depeche Mode and such stuff, electronic music like Mike Oldfield then modern house as well as jazz or what they call chill out/chill house, the sound is ok but I can't really figure it out them reproducing a stage, I mean, I can sure see a stage between the speakers (about 20-25" off the floor and 12-15 off the rear wall, 5' apart, listening position 7-8 feet apart), I can see where the singer is with good recordings, some of the instruments but sure not a proper stage which goes "around" the speakers, I know the gear I own is old and not specifically designed to reproduce a stage, when I got the JBL I was a teen and more in love with the boom-boom than with details, now I am grown and I'd like to see Frank when he sings "fly me to the Mooooon, let me seeeeee...", I know that the 4311B are not that kind of speaker, probably my room is also not the best but is there anything I can do to improve what I own?

I am very tempted to give it all away and to switch to an integrated amp and a couple of stand speakers as to make it all simpler and less cables, maybe a sub to compensate bass but this is too much stuff...

At a friend's place I did listen to Sonus Faber Electa Amator (I know, I know, totally different speaker and budget) through twin solid state mono amps (forgot brand and model) with my music through the Apple laptop and I was amazed at the soundstage, incredible how present the instruments and voices are there but, of course, the bass is not as extended or powerful as mine (they have a passive speaker on the back whilst mine only relies on a 12" white cone woofer) but for some kind of music they sound amazing.

So, this is the beginning of the story, today once I am done with some chores I either go for a hike with the dog, the camera and the tripod (another bank account breaker) or sit and try to switch from tubes back to solid state with the Adcom to find out the difference, would also try to move speakers closer to the back wall to reinforce the bass a bit and enjoy some music, a pity my wine pusher was closed because I so much felt like a glass of "moscato", well, there is time ahead...

Thanks everybody for reading

Giovanni

97qhbn.jpg

Last edited:
The concept of having speakers that perform better for one genre than another really didn't occur to me until several years ago. Come to find out it's true. Lol. Some are faster, some laid back others forward sounding. You certainly have to do some homework based on what you listen to 90% of the time.

Last edited:
Nice! And really nice photo. Take another photo showing how the system is arranged in teh room. Maybe we can get more imaging and staging for you with some room adjustments which are often the culprit. But in general I would say yes, JBL, smaller JBL's are not necessarily known for imaging.

So, I am not so proud to show my listening room since it always is work in progress here, at this moment in time I am just sandpapering and then plastering and giving a lick of paint to refresh but sooner or later this will become a bedroom and I dunno where the gear will end up, hopefully I might be able to make a veranda out of half of the terrace and move there the hi-fi system but that's how it is now.

The speakers are standing onto chairs because before they were on the floor upside down but, of course, no mid-highs, now they sound so much better and I was almost ready to build some stands but crossed a pair of JBL L220 which could become mine (very tempted but, again, space is so very limited) and as such I want to listen to them first to see how much of an improvement could it be soundstage wise and then figure it out how convenient would be to either switch or to build stands for the 4311B.

The power cable you see running over the horrible Ikea desk (that one has to go!!! Would like a simple three shelves desk like as to fit the whole thing including the turntable which is huuuuge!) is there because whilst running on the back captured all the junk coming out of the modem-router which is behind the TV screen; the turntable, as you can see, doesn't have a proper placement so, when in use (needs new belt and cartridge wires) I just attach the AC and plug the RCA into the Kiseki step-up (even tho I figured it out the AT cartridge I own doesn't need one) and then to the SP9.

There on the desk also the twin KT88 power amp which is waiting to get his feet stands (bought used and the feet were lost, the ex owner told me he might have found them) and then might sit underneath the TV screen instead of books (...), then on the left speaker in the pic there is my old power amp, the Adcom GFA535 which waits to be tested vs the tubes to find out which sound I like better because since I switched it totally changed, before I was struggling at getting a proper mid-high section, now voices are so forward projected that I had to use the caps on the JBL to reduce the mid-high efficiency (which proofs those speakers, even after 30+ years, still work perfectly), just curious to check the difference between solid state and tubes even tho none of the two is high-endish but they still can tell each own story...

As soon as I am done (as soon...) with sandpaper, dust and paint a carpet will go there in front of the speakers which now are kind of like 5 feet apart and 12-18 inches off the back wall and about 20 inches off the floor.

I know my JBL not being the kind of speaker which can reproduce a soundstage but just curious to find out if it's any limitation into the setup, electronics, room or if just a project choice, I'd honestly like to appreciate more of a stage, it sure needs some good recordings (now listening to FLAC music through the MacBookAir without any external DAC) to be appreciated but I am waiting to send the CD player for repair and, some day, maybe a DAC for liquid music, in the meantime should you have some suggestion for test tracks I can download to figure it out if there is a stage it will be greatly appreciated.

Grazie

Giovanni

Supertramp~Crime of the Century--the track specifically, but the entire album in general. The track "School" is particularly good as well. JBLs can image well, I have several different pairs, and they perform well--you are probably needing to deal with placement and room issues.

Today afternoon I got a doubt, hmmm :rolleyes: Studio Monitors, maybe I gotta listen from a closer distance... I moved the speakers, uhm, the chairs a full 30 inches forward and now the triangle which has the speakers as a base and the listener in the upper apex is close to an equilateral triangle, still a bit further than the distance between the speakers but I gotta say they sound different and better, now I can see the soundstage gaining depth, width didn't change but there is more space between instruments.

I listened to three tracks I downloaded from the Linn website a couple years ago, Embraceable You, Some Children See Him and Sophisticated Lady and I can tell that on a good recording I can clearly see where is the voice, the piano, the drums and so on, still maybe not that good because of liquid music (FLAC files) playing through the built-id DAC of the little Apple laptop but I can sure tell things got better besides the speakers sitting in the middle of the room :D I'll have to move them back and try to move the sofa towards them when I want to listen but definitely a better stage!

The 4311s was and is one of JBL greats and they still bring good prices. I think their sound is very similar to my L36s and I have nothing but good to say about them. Nice setup.

oday afternoon I got a doubt, hmmm :rolleyes: Studio Monitors, maybe I gotta listen from a closer distance... I moved the speakers, uhm, the chairs a full 30 inches forward and now the triangle which has the speakers as a base and the listener in the upper apex is close to an equilateral triangle, still a bit further than the distance between the speakers but I gotta say they sound different and better, now I can see the soundstage gaining depth, width didn't change but there is more space between instruments.

The 4311s are Studio Control Monitors, so a near/mid-field listening position would be more advantageous. There is no need to place them far out from the wall, as they are a front-ported speaker with a closed back (no rear port or passive radiator to deal with). Depending on listening position/height, they can be placed woofer up or woofer down, or even on their sides--common practice in studios. As monitors, they are fairly "flat", and with the paper tweeter, they will not be as "bright" as the later models (like my 4312Cs) with the Ti dome tweeters.

Yeah, I think you are doing great. Improve the distances of your "listening triangle" and some of what you are missing might come back in. Also, consider mounting the TV on the wall above the gear to allow full use of the console top for gear including the turntable.

Back
Top Bottom