What to expect?

jcamero

Who are you people anyway?
Thinking about hosting a get together. Prior to posting an invitation, (from the host side), what happens? What prep, (food/drinks, etc.). How long? If outside, who talks to the cops regarding loud music?

I'm not real good at the whole organizing thing, but all I can say is that for any sort of sizable gathering I wouldn't be overly worried about loud music. I expect you'll find that people will spend more time talking than jamming.

I might also suggest asking that people bring a dish or supplies or something so you don't have to prepare it all. Do an RSVP sort of thing with how many people are coming and what each person is bringing. Ask people to bring different things, nobody needs 8 bowls of potato salad with no forks.

I produce sports venues for a living, and that's similar to what you are planning and asking about.

You may need a "Permit" for the venue, but we are getting way ahead of ourselves.

Will this be an AK get together? How big are we talking here? 10 people? 100? 1,000? For 10 or 20 people getting together outside, it's usually not an issue. Right to congregate, etc. It's not a "Venue" at that point. Even with Music playing it's usually not an issue. It's just an outdoor party, unless you are disturbing the peace. Best bet, host at a State Park if you have concerns. You, as a taxpayer, own that park. A permit for the event at a State Park is inexpensive. VERY inexpensive. You already pay to support the Park in your Taxes, so you might want to call the park director and reserve a pavilion. City parks can also work, but noise is sometimes more of a problem. State Parks are easy. They are remote, and during the day music (at reasonable levels) is not an issue at all, even if you are hiring a Rock band. I've done it. No issues.

Outside of a remote park, how LOUD are we talking here? Concert levels? You need a permit. Loud enough for 30 people in a back yard or pavilion to hear? You will most likely be fine.

Food? If it's similar to a family picnic, you are OK. If you are serving to 100 people you do not know, hire a catering company and let them deal with sanitation, permits (if required), etc. Booze? That's a different story. Now you are getting into liability issues. Be very careful. I avoid any alcohol as an event director.

If you are talking about hosting this in your back yard, then it's just a matter of letting your neighbors know, warning them that there may be music for a while, and that you will shut it down at reasonable hours of the evening so they can sleep. Then you might want to inform police about an orderly and controlled party where you will have some music, and will comply if there is an issue with noise, although you, as a responsible citizen, will use good judgement.

If you are playing music to 100 people or more, and if the venue becomes large and well known, it is possible that you will be contacted by RMI (Recording Music Industry) representatives to talk to you about royalties for playing copyrighted music to the general public. This actually happened to me and other event directors that I know. There are bulldog lawyers out there that work for RMI and want to shake the tree to see if any fruit falls. I blow them off, but if push came to shove, I'd probably have to cough up some coin on my larger venues where I am playing music via a PA system to a crowd of 1,000 people. I doubt you will have this issue, but I'm just tossing it out there. You never know in today's litigious world.

So, given your quick question, these are some "potential" answers. I'm throwing darts at a board because I don't know what you have planned in your mind, nor do I know your experience or how big and well marketed this venue may become.

-Good luck!

An outside, (garage) happening, discussion, food, music. 20 people or so. We have hosted a pig roast/baby shower for 50 people, so that part is not the issue. Just looking for what else happens. Would attending folks bring gear too, or their favorite music to listen to on my gear for comparison? I do not expect this to be "potluck", but byob for those that like a nip.

OK,

You are just planning an AK meet.

Hopefully others that have held them can chime in here, but it should be fun to produce and take part in. I'm not sure if anyone from your area has done it before or not. In either case, it's great that you are stepping up to the plate. I'm sure other AKers that are within attending distance will appreciate the effort and gesture.

The two that I "tried" to attend and failed due to weather and business commitment had some guys bring gear to share the listening experience, and some food. Not sure about BYOB but that seems fine to me. It's like a regular family party. Shouldn't be any issue with law enforcement, and if you happen to offend someone with extra loud music, just turn it down and apologize. But I doubt that would happen unless it's 2:00 AM.

Hardest part is usually finding a location to hold the meet at. Looks like you have that nailed, so the hard part is over. The rest should be easy and fun to coordinate.

-Good luck!

With that small number of people and the fact that summer is allegedly on it's way, I'd just fire up the grille with the basics for a summer backyard picnic. Set up (rent/borrow/buy if you have to) a few 8' banquet/utility tables--one near the grille for food/condiments, the others elsewhere to set up gear/media. Milk crates make great makeshift speaker stands as well. Fill up a couple big coolers with beverages of choice, but keep one full of just ice for people to put directly into their drinks. Make sure you have a couple readily visible trash cans handy.

Don't know what kind of neighborhood you live in, but if noise is indeed a concern, talk to your neighbors ahead of time about your intentions--better yet, invite them--they may be of more help than you think.

If you don't want people running all through your house unsupervised, you can always go all out and rent a port a john to put out in the yard--I am a contractor and rent them all the time for job sites without power/water. Having hand sanitizer around is a nice touch as well.

Be prepared to foot the bill for "everything", unless you specify a requested "donation" with the invitations. Another option is to put a "donation" or "tip" jar next to the food and beverage station. Most civilized people will throw in a couple bucks as they pass by the grille and grab a plate full of food.

If people are indeed invited to bring some of their own gear, try to find out how much space they will require and make sure you have table space for them and run a bunch of available extension cords/power strips.

Have Fun!!!

An outside, (garage) happening, discussion, food, music. 20 people or so. We have hosted a pig roast/baby shower for 50 people, so that part is not the issue. Just looking for what else happens. Would attending folks bring gear too, or their favorite music to listen to on my gear for comparison? I do not expect this to be "potluck", but byob for those that like a nip.

The annual local GTG's are usually around that size, it's always bring a dish (you provide the meats?), BYOB, and we usually have a couple tables set up for equipment/vinyl swaps or sales.

If you are going to announce it here, do that and get an idea of the number of folks that are going to show. Then you can do some planning with that number. You ask how long, we usually start noon-1 pm and most have to get home if they want dinner and anything but being ignored for the rest of the evening by the one that controls the household so they leave 5-6pm, I guess.

We have a few get togethers in this area, two each year have grown to say 50 folks and it is a pot luck. One is tunes in the soundroom and discussions throughout the rest of the house, deck and kitchen. The other is a museum tour as there is so much gear to be amazed with and noshing upstairs and tunes in a room or two. Both of these have hosts that have acquiesced to a gear swap table or two in the garage or on the deck (both under cover in case of rain). Both have more folks engaged in discussions away from the soundroom than actually listening to the system.

Another type of gig is on a smaller scale. These are listening sessions with folks dragging their vinyl of choice out for others to enjoy. This one is where some want to bring gear to hear. Since I have wires to connect most anything, I have had more gear brought here for an audition than others. These gigs are 2-10 folks. I say 2 because when a friend comes over and we evaluate something that counts. On this smaller scale, I let folks bring food and adult beverages so I spend my time hooking up stuff and not preparing or setting up food. Others in the group put something out for us and we bring the drinks.

It really depends on what you want to accomplish and if that is what others want to accomplish. One of our meetings was to help Tom decide which speaker to buy. None of us knew the sound of any of the 6 speakers his local dealers (yes, there were 2 within 2 miles of his house, one has closed) had available. But we discussed How to Listen. This helped him and others.

If you just want to rock the garage with 20 folks, say so, let em know if you want them to supply some software (records, tapes, cds whatever), beverages, snacks or gear for sale and let it happen. If you have some other goal in mind, say deciding which Lloyd's all-in-one is the best looking (or the ideal target for some .22 practice) let folks know so they can show up thinking that way. Keep in mind that not all that say they will actually do show up when the size of the gig gets bigger but that doesn't mean it loses anything.

Last edited:
Kinda resurrecting this thread, but I wanted to add that it would be good if you already are acquainted with one or more AKers in the area. Then you have a core group that can just plan to get together regardless of who else might come. Start with that, and let it grow. Scale it up depending on how many people respond, but your first one might be a couple guys hanging out one afternoon listening to music.

The one I attend in KC (Twangfest) started that way about 5-8 years ago, and now it's every six months, fall and spring, at the same house. 20-30 (maybe 40 once in awhile) people show up during the day. There's gear swapping, barbeque (one person makes the BBQ and others bring sides), BYOB, several listening zones (front vacant lot, living room, kitchen, basement shop).

I do sorta envy the STL group's Audio Jumble, which is more of a big flea market where the public is invited. Much easier to dispose of gear and bring less home than you went with!

Back
Top Bottom