What to power Khorns with, Sansui G8700DB or AU-555A ?

tanker 200

I recently acquired a pair of Khorns and plan on bringing them into the livingroom as soon as my gf goes out for the day (I'll have to re arrange a few things). They'll replace a pair of Dahlquist DQ-20's and M&K subwoofer and I was planning on powering them with the G-8700 but I've been listening to them powered by a Realistic STA-46 (about 16 wpc) and am now thinking the larger Sansui is going to be overkill. the 555A is currently powering a pair of AR-5's and it sounds very nice, I forget how many watts the 555A is but I'm sure it's more than enough to power the Khorns. I have a ST-70 that I plan to modify that will eventually power them but I think the Sansui's are my best choices right now.

15 inch woofers, the more power the better even if they are efficient. So I would pick the G-8700 and have the speaker produce more bass.

You won't use much over a handful of watts.... that said, I generally fall in the camp of having more headroom.

As others have said, they do not need a lot of power as they are very efficient.

I have found with Klipsch speakers that they like some amps and do not like others. Try all the ones you have and see which sounds best to you.

It only will make the difference as to what ever difference Sansui
Has between those 2 and the condition of both. You cant go wrong
With the corners it will be seldom you have 10 watts running through them...enjoy!

I think the 8700 is going to be the one I go with, I know the 555A will sound nice but I think I'd just want more power than it had (even though I'd rarely need it). Going to do some speaker wire shopping today and hopefully get them in the house this week, looking forward to listening to them somewhat properly installed.

Going to do some speaker wire shopping today

Lots of opinions out there....but I've been using low-voltage (outdoor) lighting wire (12G since it isn't that expensive) for 20 years with great results.

Can be picked up at your local Home Depot or Lowes...or other.

Back
Top Bottom