What to replace these capacitors with?

Sorry for the silence, I was away for work, but i owe you all an update!

I replaced all the jumpers i could see corrosion on, the preamp PS caps, and the smaller of the main output PS caps. I tried installing the larger caps but the snap in just wouldnt giver a secure fit no matter how much solder i used. Mostly because the position of the feet was off centre on the original lugged caps, and trying to install the new ones they push against other components. So i left the originals installed as they didnt appear damaged anyway. Lots of scratch marks on the PCB from scraping away glue, still not the cleanest thing but better.

Also reset the bias on both sides. Havent had it up and running yet but will do by next week, very excited to hear its huge treble range again.

Attachments

• IMG_6457.JPG
    IMG_6457.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_6454.JPG
    IMG_6454.JPG
    101.8 KB · Views: 28
Sometimes you have to be creative with replacement parts. The one thing I'd like to insert here is...

you did have a functioning amp that was "dead quiet" before folks started chiming in with what should be replaced, whether it was a ticking time bomb, etc...

while all well intentioned, as a new member, it's hard to know what experience level you have working on gear, and there's been more than one piece of vintage gear rendered inoperative by well intentioned, but inexperienced folks. Hopefully all is well. :rolleyes:

Sometimes you have to be creative with replacement parts. The one thing I'd like to insert here is...

you did have a functioning amp that was "dead quiet" before folks started chiming in with what should be replaced, whether it was a ticking time bomb, etc...

while all well intentioned, as a new member, it's hard to know what experience level you have working on gear, and there's been more than one piece of vintage gear rendered inoperative by well intentioned, but inexperienced folks. Hopefully all is well. :rolleyes:

very true John. Having said that, i was tearing the amp down to clean the pots anyway, discovered one genuinely bad cap, found a 40v short circuit drawing at least a few watts, and ended up resetting the biases. I think sometimes you have to undertake some futile projects based on only a suspicion, and if i hadn't done risky repairs beyond my ability in the past i wouldn't have had basic the knowhow to do this one, which in turn taught me a lot of new things. :)

Glad you had experience beyond what your “new” status on AK would suggest. All the points that had been made about corroded leads, etc were spot on. I've just seen too many threads where someone eager to fix a piece of gear jumps in, does something before really understanding what's going on, and then does more damage to the gear, gives up, and feels that vintage is too much hassleto deal with.

Back
Top Bottom