What TT's do you folks have

My second post at AK and I want to thank you folks at AK and on the Turntable Forum. So I thought I'd begin by sharing my new to me toys here in this thread. I've been lurking for some time, but just joined the AK community recently.
I just acquired two turntables last week which replace a couple of starter TTs I've had for some time.
The first is Vintage and a rare version of the Elac mechanism. I was lucky to find a refurbished (cleaned and lubed) Braun PS600. I picked it up a week ago Thursday after listening to it, very excited. Then I won an eBay auction for an AR 'The Turntable' so two TTs in one week. The dividend? The V15 type V in the AR tone arm, it is still in very good shape and sings very well. So within a week, I've added a stacker running my Grado Black/8MZ cart. and added a new Shure to the shelf. I finally have a couple of TTs I can stick with.

Braun PS600 w/ Grado Black/8MX (thanks ddarch & marcmorin; 1.68gr/no anti-skate)
View attachment 944988View attachment 944989
AR The Turntable, Shure V15 type V
I added a George Merrill RRC mat, with vibrapods sitting on Merrill's 60 Durometer Decoupling Feet, new Vinyl Nirvana belt but nothing else done. The AR may get an arm or mod. down the road, but for now it's about washing and playing records.

You may forget that folks like me lurk, reading and learning from your great discussions, but it is wonderful to find such a group and much appreciated. Thanks again to all for your words, knowledge and advice.

Some great looking tables Chris. I have never personally seen one of those Braun tables before. Looks to be a nice kit from back in the day!

Here is Barbara Lynn!

vWKiPZq.jpg

vHChwlh.jpg

Last edited:
Akai BT-500 with AT95E cartridge. I put in a EVG needle which sounds better than the stock needle. The attached pic is better than I could take, so here you go. I got the rig on sale for $250, so I'm happy.

Attachments

• akai.jpg
    akai.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 51
This modded JVC JL-A20 has been my main table for the past five years or so. Not the best, probably not even the best I own, but it works perfectly and it works for me.

I'd been using an AT12Sa on it for the past two or three years but after getting a new stylus for my Empire 3000 MEX cartridge and listening for the last couple months and doing some comparisons, I think I prefer this to the Audio Technica.

I also swapped the original headshell for this lighter one from a Project/One. Those changes plus a cork mat and a new belt and this thing definitely sounds better than ever!

L75w750helikon.jpg
Custom Built Lenco L75 with Jelco 750 arm, Jeremy's Super Bearing, Stacked Plywood plinth filled with sand.
Linn Lp12 with one piece CNC aluminum subchassis arm board Ittok.
Sansui sr2050c.

Last edited:
I have a dozen or more "project" turntables in varying states of disrepair. Good excuse to do an inventory:

- Three Linn Sonkek LP12s, two with Valhalla PS and one pre-Valhalla
- One Thorens TD-125 MKII with Stax UA-7 tonearm
- One Thorens TD-150 MKII AB with stock arm, no headshell
- Thorens TD-124, no armboard or arm
- Two Bogen/Lenco heavy platters (B60 and B61) with stock arm
- Oracle Alexandria
- Rek-o-Kut L34H with Gray 208 16" transcription tonearm
- Rek-o-Kut Rondine Deluxe with Pritchard ADC wooden tonearm
- Audio Technica AT-LP240

The main problem I face with most of these turntables is the cost to get them working and sounding decent. If I could manage scrape $1K together, which would I choose? I tried using tonearms and cartridges I had on hand with unsatisfactory results. My vinyl sounded tired and scratchy even with my best attempt, a Linn LP12 Valhalla with Ultracraft AC-300 MKII tonearm and AT-440MLB cartridge. While doing a google search for tonearms under $1K I found NaimNatNod's post on the AT-LP1240 and couldn't believe such a thing could be purchased at that price point. I was able to purchase an AT-LP240 on ebay for roughly $360 and stuck the AT-440MLB on it. I am getting excellent results with this setup at roughly half the cost of what I thought I'd have to spend. I am finally getting the sound I had hoped for from my vinyl, open and uncompressed with plenty of dynamic range and inner detail all the way through to the end of the record. While I still intend to eventually get a couple of my older tables working, the AT-LP240 will be the basis for comparison.

What were you using before the LP240?

Last edited:
Ok, well I;ve got a Dual CS 5000 w/Grado Platinum and a Technics SL M3 w/Audio Technica AT201EP and possibly in 2 days a Kyocera PL 701. Which is why I'm on this site tonight if anybody could share their knowledge of this rare turntable with me so I can make up my mind to buy it or not. Original box and all the accessories come with it

I've got an Oracle Alexandria MK III with a Sumiko arm on the way. I'd greatly appreciate any information, tips, observations, or comparisons.

Back
Top Bottom