What TT's do you folks have

Discussion in 'Turntables' started by Grumpy, Jun 22, 2002.

1. Champco

Champco Super Member

Still using the orig Shur v15 III . Thanks.. will keep my eye out for a Pickering. I have a extra headshell.

432HzBob likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. 432HzBob

432HzBob AK Subscriber Subscriber

I don;t want to be giving away my best fishing holes, but the Pickering is right up there with the V-15 III and markedly better than the V-15 II.
    I like variety in carts but when I found something that did everything right ;like an XSV I didn;t feel the need to go any further unless it's a >$500 type cart and a whole higher level.

3. Brian Tambe

Brian Tambe Active Member

I have a Garrard Model 50 circa 1967 in absolutely " Pristine " condition with a Shure Cartridge
    A Technics SL-D303 circa 1981 in Mint ( Like New Condition ) just purchased an Audio Technica VM 740 ML Cartridge with Alluminum Alloy cast cantilever and body with the trade mark " Micro Line " Stylus , having this cartridge mounted , aligned and balanced next week on my D303.Can't wait to hear what this cartridge will sound like. It's replacing the original ADC Series 1 Cartridge that came with the TT , so , it's a tremendous upgrade. I'll post a review after I give this baby a nice listen.

MetalHeDD likes this.
  4. MDAlton

MDAlton New Member

5. MDAlton

MDAlton New Member

Oops, meant to add that this completely restored 401 has recently replaced a modest Pro-ject. Tonearm is Reed 3P, Hana EH cartridge, plinth by Chris Harban (Woodsong Audio).

Ilikevinyl and totem like this.
  6. MicTod

MicTod New Member

In a momentary moment of madness, I had given my entire audio system away to a friend a few years ago for free. Later, I got it back, minus the turntable, but otherwise intact. I needed a TT replacement and about that time my brother-in-law had one he was about to take to Goodwill. He gave it to me as a (temp) until I could find another I liked. I liked this one so much I still have it and have not bought another. The TT is not a 'high-end' one, but it is a solid performer and really all I need anymore: a Denon DP-7f automatic. I like the fact that I can control the functions with the dust cover down. The performance is adequate to my Pioneer 780 receiver and the speakers I now have so....it's what I have until I find another Pioneer to replace it

MetalHeDD likes this.

7. dk911sc

dk911sc Member

I have a VPI Aries 3D, the final version with all of the upgrades (VTA on the fly, 22 lb platter, 10" 3D arm, 300 rpm 24 pole motor, sandwich construction plinth, mini HRX feet, HRX weight)

Attached Files:

stoutblock, guiller, ateal and 2 others like this.
  8. Brian Tambe

9. Brian Tambe

Had my new Audio Technica VM740ML cartridge mounted and tonearm balanced per new carts specs 1.75 grams and had my TT serviced , brought it home , hooked it up , made a bottle of cleaning solution for my Discwasher cleaning system and WOW , what a difference a good quality cartridge makes. I've been hearing instruments from my vinyl that I have NEVER heard before and the bass so rich , deep and smooth. I absolutely love this cartridge. Back to some listening , TTYL

10. Brian Tambe

20180217_174953.jpg

guiller and red 111 like this.
  11. Brian Tambe

Just had this Audio Technica VM740ML mounted on my head shell , had the tonearm balanced and had my TT serviced and the results are FANTASTIC!!

12. Brian Tambe

Technics SL-D303 Direct Drive purchased Brand New in 1981 , Audio Technica VM740ML ( micro line
    20180217_173812.jpg

MetalHeDD likes this.
  13. AubRock

AubRock Active Member

A new cart makes a huge difference. I found that out when I finally decided to upgrade mine. I have a Kenwood KD 2055. When I bought the table it came with Audio Technica AT11e and as a Newb I just stuck with that until I started reading forums on here and realized maybe I should upgrade. Decided to upgrade headshell and all. Went with the Ortofon SH-4 w/Red stylus and wow my records came to life. I had the first two Sabbath albums that were my dads that were unplayable before. With the upgrade, they actually play and sound great. Nice table! Enjoy!

MDAlton likes this.
  14. Brian Tambe

Thank you for the reply and kudos to your ortofon SH-4. I have a very important question that I hope you can answer for me. The Audio Technica has a tracking specification of 1.8 - 2.2 g ( 2.0 g standard ) the guy that mounted the cartridge and set everything , set the counter weight and anti-skate at 1.7 grams , if the specs say 1.8 - 2.2 ( 2.0 g standard ) where would you suggest I set the weight at/ please give me your input because I know how important this aspect is involving the maximum performance from a cartridge and the affect it has on a record collection that can't be replaced. Thank you!! Hope to hear something soon.

15. Brian Tambe

16. Brian Tambe

I have had these 3 albums since " Brand New " in 1979-1980 and since listening to them with my new cartridge ATVM740ML , I'm hearing instruments , percussion , separation , detail , warmth & smoothness that I've NEVER heard before. I'm also noticing that the more I use this cartridge , the better the sound is getting. Re-listened to a couple albums today that sounded considerably better than when I first listened to them yesterday on the first run at listening to this cartridge. I think I'm beginning to understand what a lot of you in this forum have referred to " Break In " time!! 20180218_160900.jpg

Ilikevinyl and MetalHeDD like this.

17. Brian Tambe

How many hours is typical for a new cartridge to " Break In " and get 100% " In the Groove " and offer it's maximum performance? I've got approximately 5 1/2 hours so far.

18. guiller

guiller Toscaninichus Australis

19. guiller

guiller Toscaninichus Australis

A piece of Art!

20. MDAlton

MDAlton New Member

Thanks! The blue was chosen to match my Synthesis Ensemble integrated amp and Brio phono pre. Also decided to paint the 401 in a gloss black. Turned out even better than expected.

guiller likes this.