What TT's do you folks have

Dual -1229
Pioneer PL-L800
Dual-1242
Audio-technical-At-lp120
Dual-502
Technics-SL-B2
Right this moment listening to Dream boat Annie on 1242. all are correct years for my vintage and all are loved I favor my 1229, 502, pl-800, 1242,
AT-LP-120 (this is not same vintage or even close as I ) followed last by the thechnics SL-B2. All old but one. All being rotated.
Not fancy

How many hours is typical for a new cartridge to " Break In " and get 100% " In the Groove " and offer it's maximum performance? I've got approximately 5 1/2 hours so far.

My AT-440MLa cartridge with the same microline stylus took about 200 hours before the break-in! I couldn't believe how much smoother the sound became then!

You know, I never thought bout that. I am always worrying about dust in the controls of my receiver, but the TT? No reason why they wouldn't be just as important to keep clean. In the case of the Denon, I should probably buy a can of the air spray people use on their lap-tops, with a wand to direct the hp air. But I've never noticed any issue with it in the years that i've had it. Good point, tho.
I'm a fanatic with keeping my gear as free from dust as possible and am convinced this is a benefit because some of my my gear that is 30 years old , works perfectly.

WOW , 200 hours " Break In ?" thats 20% of the styli's life , which is 1000 hours..

Yeah, seemed like it took forever! Then, all of a sudden, smooth sounding upper frequencies. I must have no less than 2000 hours on it before I switched to an Empire 2000Z. Like this cartridge better, more balanced sounding.

I have my eyes on an overhauled Pioneer PL-55x. Don't need it but sure would like to add it to the collection.
If you don't pick it up when you have the chance and means you will always look back woefully regardless of need... I like to think of it as strange or different. If you have a good selection you can have different strange as often as you like and no one will be the wiser, unless you choose to share that info. I would go for it. After 30 + years my wife just rolls her eyes and say something like and where do you think your going to put that? I look at her and say, put what? It works. Kinda strange. Keep em spinning!
Cheers!

I have 5 turntables but only these 2 in my main system:

This was once a Rega RP6 but after I modified it, all that remains is the dust cover (see next pic)...
gREC35P.jpg

& Technics SL-1200G...

q7N5jjn.jpg

0WmSqWq.jpg

Last edited:
Have 4 TT's - 6 months ago had Zero!!! OOPS lucky the S/O is very understanding

Sony PS-X600
Ariston RD11e
Marantz 6170
Hitachi HT350

I think i will start losing these and put the money to something a bit more esoteric, fancy a Pioneer 590, an upmarket JVC or Kenwood, however i do prefer direct drive over belts, and full or semi auto is a real bonus.

I've recently re-entered this hobby after being away from it for roughly 30 years! At this moment I have the following:
1. Garrard GT-15 (not running; Christmas present from my dad in 1980). I may try to restore it myself.
2. Garrard DD75 (Recently acquired. Very impressed with its image, as well as the Garrard brand being a family favorite).
3. Dual CS 1246 Record Changer (Recently acquired; Also a Dual turntable admirer).

Back
Top Bottom