What TT's do you folks have

Discussion in 'Turntables' started by Grumpy, Jun 22, 2002.

1. Pioneer Tom

Pioneer Tom New Member

Wow! That's awesome!

Balifly likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. DavidR623

DavidR623 Active Member

129_2905.JPG
    Currently using an Acutex 412STR

3. russdall

russdall Member

IMG_20170723_174341836.jpg A JVC VL-5 and a Pioneer PL-518.......Love them both......Although, I think the JVC sounds better, to "me".

Run Empire carts, on both of them.

Last edited: May 13, 2018
    guiller likes this.
  4. dswann01

dswann01 Member

26263F63-30D3-470A-A155-0062058DE2A3.jpeg A Technics SL-1401.

5. TaddNOhio

TaddNOhio AK Subscriber Subscriber

Damn very nice! And here i am just searching to buy 1 turntable

heavyrock likes this.
  6. shedshrine

shedshrine Member

TaddNOhio, "Damn very nice! And here i am just searching to buy 1 turntable"

Ha, thanks! Makes me feel a little guilty. I feel compelled to explain myself. But I was diligent on craigslist when I decided I wanted back in to vinyl, and the obsession paid off.

I haven't been in the market for the last few years, but I've seen the gonzo prices that Technics SL1200's are going for now.(at least in the bay area here)

I picked up the Thorens from a little electronics shop in the late nineties, needed a little aesthetic tlc at the time hence a good price , but mechanically sound, thinking someday I might want to get back to vinyl..
    That thing sat in two garages until I finally started buying vinyl again in 2012 at a garage sale with great condition classic rock albums for a steal.

The Sony was mislisted in a craigslist ad and not even the table I had showed up for. The seller was in Hawaii and his daughter was on the phone with him as we worked our deal. The button controls were and still are glitchy even after a recap, but it is a fun table and sounds very good.

The benefit of two Technics is I can swap the cartridge back and forth on whatever unit I'm using. If memory serves, it will fit on/still be calibrated on the Sony as well.

The Dual was given to me by a coworker, but it is seized and needs a rebuild which I will do probably next year. So I'll have working examples of idler, direct drive and belt driven tables to play around with.
    Anyway, just a little more info on those tables.

Hope you find a good one. Seems like there are good new ones coming out now too as you surely already know.

Last edited: May 21, 2018
    TaddNOhio likes this.

7. ellisr63

ellisr63 Member

I have had several Gyrodecs over the years, but sold them when I got out of analog over 10 years ago. Now I decided to get back I to it again, and have purchased a Project RPM 1.3. I know this doesn't sound anywhere near as good as my old gyrodec/SME V, but back then I made more money, and now I am retired.

russdall likes this.
  8. The Goat

The Goat New Member

so I...kinda...accidentally picked up a Garrard Synchro-Lab 95 today for $50. The guy was absolutely fastidious about it. Regreased everything. Rewired the arm. He had a copy of the owner's manual and the service manual. Extra stylus.

I promised my wife I'd sell the other Garrard. She's gonna kill me.

russdall likes this.
  9. beatcomber

beatcomber AK Member

My first turntable back in 1977 (age 13) was a BIC 960, which I happily used until it went on the fritz sometime in the '80s.

I've always had fond memories of my BIC, so when a local AK'er @rmoreau61 offered me a 1976 BIC 960 that he had already gone through and re-lubed, all for the princely sum of $20, I couldn't resist taking a walk down memory lane.

When I got it home, all of the functions worked smoothly and accurately, except the arm would glide horizontally during set-down. After going through the service manual and asking some questions of @Doug G., I learned that one of the thingummybobs underneath is supposed to have a thin cork pad adhered to it, to which a brake pin is supposed to come in contact with during cueing to prevent the arm from gliding during descent. I did some poking around inside and found the pad, which had come loose and got caught up in the works.

I re-affixed the pad, made some adjustments to the interaction of the brake pin and arm lift pin, and added some more cueing fluid as well, and now it works perfectly!

I gotta say, the BIC is a surprise. Record changers aren't generally well-regarded, but this BIC is a far better performer than you might expect. Rumble is non-existent, tracking is fine, and it has excellent dynamics and "air." These tables are very much underrated and are still common and very inexpensive on the used market. There's also a great series of comprehensive servicing videos on YouTube.

I'm not sure how/where this will fit in my system, mainly because space is at a premium. I might use it with a budget cartridge as a "casual listening" deck; it currently has a Shure M91ED with EVG stylus, but I'm been curious about the newly reintroduced $75 Grado Black2, so I might spring for one of those.

[If anyone has a spare single-play BIC spindle, please get in touch!]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

KRab likes this.
  10. rmoreau61

rmoreau61 Active Member

Umm, excuse me Mr. Comber. That was $20 PLUS a cup of coffee. You make me sound like a pushover! Of course, you generously tipped me by giving me a whole BAG of coffee! Now I'm living like a king (it's really good coffee).. But seriously, what really matters is that the right turntable is in the right home.

11. Stevenash

Stevenash New Member

Looking for a better automatic turntable than a Denon dp-300f any suggestions

12. Balifly

Balifly Listening Subscriber

Welcome to the AK turn table forum.

New or used ?

What is the approximate budget?

13. Stevenash

Stevenash New Member

Either just as long as it's better than the DP 300f

Balifly likes this.
  14. redjr

redjr AK Subscriber Subscriber

Update:
    JVC QL-7
    Realistic Lab 400
    Teac TN-300

guiller, RichTassoni and Balifly like this.
  15. Stevenash

Stevenash New Member

Sorry it took so long to reply but the budget is under a thousand

16. Balifly

Balifly Listening Subscriber

Very nice budget, should be able to find a very good restored Japanese automatic without too much trouble. :thumbsup:

17. detractus

detractus New Member

My prize - JVC QL-A7
    IMG_0381.jpg
    $399 off Ebay (paid for with proceeds from flipping three re-veneered Pioneer PL-518's)
    + stripped off the vinyl and applied real wood veneer
    + recharged the cue damping with 1M silicone (the 30k stuff was too fast)
    + new feet
    + new dust cover from JMK displays
    + Ortofon Blue cartridge and stylus

I've also got a really clean PL-540 sitting here that I'm getting ready to custom walnut plinth. :)

ryanward84, eis01, redjr and 6 others like this.
  18. rkgren1

rkgren1 Well-Known Member

I have used an Pioneer PL-7 for a couple of years, and I have had no significant complaints about it.
    I have recently obtained an ELAC Miracord 760 and I have been enjoying it.
    The ELAC has supplanted the Pioneer for now in my living room system, mostly due to the fact that it was easy to clean and restore.
    From a technical perspective it is probably inferior to the PL-7, but there is something to be said for simplicity.

Miracord760_top.jpg

guiller and RichTassoni like this.
  19. redjr

redjr AK Subscriber Subscriber

Where did you find new feet? I need 4 for a QL-7.

20. detractus

detractus New Member

redjr likes this.