What TT's do you folks have

I have an old Pioneer PL-S70 that a friend gave me in my early teen years. I use it with an Audio Technica AT8008 cartridge. It still sounds really good after all these years. I run the PL-S70 through a 1971 Pioneer SX 626 that is also still going strong after 47 years. Everything sounds really nice :)

I have an original U-Turn Obrit with an AT95E that I had retipped by ESco. It almost sounds like my CD player (Onkyo C-7030). Sounds just fine on my upper mid-fi Yamaha R-S700

I am currently working with a Thorens TD-105 with a Shure V15 iii. It's my first, and it has been awesome for me.

Thorens Td 166mkii with an NOS Empire 260 ME. Sounds much better than the Pro-ject 1 Xpresssion Carbon Classic that I was using.

My first turntable is Dual 1246 and I like it a lot, it's vintage looking good tt. I also have the original record changer but I use it in single play mode. Here's my personal photo:
20170722_162948.jpg

It has the original DMS 240 E cartridge which I'm pretty sure is some Audio Technica cart in disguise .

Found vintage pioneer 516 at Goodwill for $30. foot was missing, so I outfitted new ones from here. It sounds pretty good!

Replace-Fix-PIONEER-FEET-PL-512-514-516-Foot-Turntable-Feet-Mnpctech.jpg

Today I was given a Beogram 1602 that wasn't working. It was a very simple fix that took me less than 10 minutes to complete and it works beautifully except for one thing: the cartridge is missing the stylus. I did manage to get about 1 minute of play b4 the stylus fell off. The price of a new cartridge is rather scary - $250 for a new one from SoundSmith or $149 for a used one from eprey. Ebay even has some without stylus with a $99 asking price, which is nuts. Maybe SS will retip this one. It seems that having a brand new tip for the price of a used one makes the most sense. It's an MMC 10E.

Back
Top Bottom