What TT's do you folks have

IMG_9159.JPG IMG_9161.JPG BIC 40z. Pickering XV 15 Micro IV. I listen to a lot of country, alt-country, classic rock, indie, punk, and jazz. This rig does all of that with awesome results.

Three of the four mounted cartridges for my Dual 1229 (not shown is a Stanton 681EEE that is also in reserve). The Shure is currently in use.

All three pictred cartridges pass the Telarc 1812 Overture "cannon shot test." I haven't tried it with the Stanton.

Front to back: Pickering XSV-3000S with OEM stylus, Grace F8L, Shure V15III HE with LP Gear replacement stylus. The 681EEE has an OEM stereohedron.

IMG_0040.JPG

Last edited:
I have 6 turntables but only 2 in use, they are my TD160 with upgrades and my Rega that started life as a P3 but I have thrown every upgrade part I could find at it.

Technics SL-D202 and SL-D2, Stanton T.62, all of which came from thrift stores.

Recently offloaded a JVC belt-drive which had surprisingly little rumble for a belt-drive that appeared to have been blow-molded from the same plastic used in the manufacture of swizzle sticks and a motor identical to what's found in a $15 adult novelty store appliance.

Ripped many an MP3 with the D-202. It'll get retired as a spare.

The SL-D2 is a recent acquisition in very nice condition, and will shortly be getting a better-quality speed control pot, extra-shielded signal cables, and auto-return tonearm trip mechanism surgically removed, just like I did with the D202. Pictures to follow.

If an orphaned decent tonearm shows up sometime down the road, I might stick it on the Stanton, which is one of those stupid DJ type things. I bought it because A: cheap and B: has a servo-lock LED indicator next to the pitch control, an aesthetically pleasing platter and what appears to be a halfway decent DD motor.

I have a Technics SL-1200MK2 Found it in a local pawnshop for $200! I did the cosmetic upgrades myself. (Yes, I am still a Tennessee Vols fan.) Set it all up early December. Sounds amazing and everyone who hears it cannot believe they are listening to a record! I love it when that happens!

Sam

View media item 17448

Darn!
I had to pull my 1229 out of service due to a disintegrating steurpimple causing wonky tonearm operation (the steurpimple was new but was in my part box for a long time). Until I can get a replacement I am using my Mistubishi direct-drive with Grado cartridge. the LP is Dave Brubeck's TIME OUT.
DSC00485dxo.jpg

EDIT: The 1229 has been repaired but I think I'll wait a week or two before putting it back in rotation.

Last edited:
Small fun project, just finished the other day. $20 thrift-store beater, a Technics SL-D2, heavily modified.

Stripped mechanical chassis bare of arm-return mechanism & trip linkage, and was surprised at how cheaply made this thing is.

Wired tonearm output directly to fully shielded audio jacks and ground terminal on side.

Clipped out PCB trace to one side of crappy stock speed control pot, rerouted to nice old Allen-Bradley instrument-grade pot that came from a 1957 Tektronix oscilloscope.

Adorned same with a heavy knurled aluminum setscrew knob, origin unknown. It works so much more slick than the stock one!

Replaced line cord with a nice Euro-style cord.

upload_2019-1-3_21-28-55.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-1-3_21-13-37.png
    upload_2019-1-3_21-13-37.png
    445 KB · Views: 16
Back
Top Bottom