What TT's do you folks have

My first foray into vinyl after a 30+ year absence - budget constraints have me more on the entry level side of things but will be picking up a JVC Ql A5 in a week or so, it might need a stylus and owner is unsure of what cartridge it currently has - any recommendations for something inexpensive ( as opposed to cheap )?

Last edited:
My first for into vinyl after a 30+ year absence - budget constraints have me more on the entry level side of things but will be picking up a JVC Ql A5 in a week or so, it might need a stylus and owner is unsure of what cartridge it currently has - any recommendations for something inexpensive ( as opposed to cheap )?
That JVC is a nice table, just make sure it's set up correctly.
https://www.vinylengine.com/library/jvc/ql-a5.shtml

I have a few in service, and a couple more in temporary storage.

Here's my pride-and-joy: Pioneer PL-71

39893913633_f14e2e90f5_z.jpg

32983428428_0197f3ef2b_z.jpg

Too many nice turntables posted here - feel like the JVC QL A5 is perhaps too basic but I am certain it will be a good first TT. Seriously thinking about purchasing a Sansui XR Q11 locally for not much that has no cartridge but otherwise intact, not certain of what it needs beyond that and have read about some of the issues that can plague this model and similar ones such as the Q9 and Q7 though the Q11 being a bit more complicated has it's own unique quirks.

Problem is, I think it is a great looking turntable, well built, higher end and of course substantial in weight. It may require a fair amount of work, I do not know yet, but others have successfully bypassed and/or removed the fully auto function and made a manual out of them. Is there anyone here that could offer some insight into what I could likely expect, assuming it turns on and runs? I have read through a number of posts dealing with getting some up and running, definitely a bit of a challenge!

I do enjoy looking at many of the higher end turntables posted here, and thank you Gelid for helping me to appreciate that while not as elegant the JVC is a good one, still thinking of setting one into a nice substantial veneer covered base as I actually have a second A5 waiting until next month from another Seller, no dust cover but in pretty good condition and cheaper, thought I would have a backup or one to modify.

In fact I am certain I will at the very least change the colour of the top cover on one, something tasteful of course, perhaps even some high quality simulated wood vinyl and add dampening such as plasticine underneath. This could be not only educational and a learning experience but fun.

Seems I am kind of hooked which is why that Sansui XR Q11 has me intrigued and desiring to bring it back to life. I have this thing for tinkering apparently. We will see if it works out and I can get my hands on it before long.

I have heard mostly positive thoughts regarding the Funk Firm Achromat II but it is more than I am paying for either of the JVCs. If it added enough bringing out a degree of musicality and/or further detail it might be worth the investment.

Here are images of the two JVCs, one had the counter weight temporarily removed. From the Craigslist ads. Not sure if I will keep those two little duck stickers on the front of the cover though.....

00U0U_h3lkMJE55AC_1200x900.jpg 00w0w_9ahwtlw6SbQ_1200x900.jpg

Last edited:
...Seriously thinking about purchasing a Sansui XR Q11 locally for not much that has no cartridge but otherwise intact, not certain of what it needs beyond that and have read about some of the issues that can plague this model and similar ones such as the Q9 and Q7 though the Q11 being a bit more complicated has it's own unique quirks.

Problem is, I think it is a great looking turntable, well built, higher end and of course substantial in weight. It may require a fair amount of work, I do not know yet, but others have successfully bypassed and/or removed the fully auto function and made a manual out of them. Is there anyone here that could offer some insight into what I could likely expect, assuming it turns on and runs? I have read through a number of posts dealing with getting some up and running, definitely a bit of a challenge!

Well, I did find this video posted by a gentleman who seems to have sold one about 5 years ago.

I have bought a turntable and a couple covers from him and can attest that he really knows what he is doing... my point being that even he had issues with the Sansui XR Q11, as he readily admits to.

Sure is a sexy looking unit, though. If you like to tinker, then I'll bet this is the turntable for you!

Here's one of my 'budget' turntables, a Philips GA-427 :)

31933162647_6ebb3b8e7c_z.jpg

I love this "plastic-fantastic" deck.... and yes, that is real wood veneer.
With it's suspended chassis, this thing sounds great.

Cartridge is a NOS Shure M91e.

I actually have two others, both with conical stylii.

Last edited:
Techinics SL-D2 with Ortofon Concorde 30. A dual CS-606 that plays great and several Dual 1219s, waiting to be resurrected.

Well, I did find this video posted by a gentleman who seems to have sold one about 5 years ago.

I have bought a turntable and a couple covers from him and can attest that he really knows what he is doing... my point being that even he had issues with the Sansui XR Q11, as he readily admits to.

Sure is a sexy looking unit, though. If you like to tinker, then I'll bet this is the turntable for you!

My Sansui XR- Q9 the slightly less complicated one only need a new tone arm belt.

It is good to be adventurous, but also remember that saying by Dirty Harry “A man's got to know his limitations.” :rolleyes:

True, but there is that desire to have it functioning again, and hopefully it is not a major problem. Of course, first I have to actually lay my hands on it - still working things out with the Seller. Typical of me to want to take it on.

I recently purchased a Thorens TD 165 TT and looking for parts in USA. Not sure all what it needs because it's being shipped. I just got back into the audio area as my first hobby again. I have been out of it for many years and missed it terribly. So, My other equipment is a modest lot that I threw together to get a somewhat fair sound for my listening pleasure. I have a Yamaha RX-V1800 receiver, Bose Acoustimass 10 Series V Home Theater Speaker System, and a Sony CD/DVD player. Hopefully in a year I will have a true stereo again. LOL. So, I really am beginning all over again. I will be snooping at the threads here a lot! Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
UPDATE... I received the turntable and have been looking at it to play again. Low and behold I have one of the first TD165 tables made. It has a 10mm spindle, and something I didn't realize these tables had for an RCA connector. The connectors are friction fit ends! Makes it much easier to replace the original cord. When I plugged the unit in, there was a short in the right channel, so I have decided to replace the entire cord. No 45 spindle, anti skate counter weights, or dust cover. However, the table is as quiet as can be. Still a hum, but no short. Have to quiet it down by adding some dampening material. I think (even at a total of $500 into the project, it is still worth it. I'm happy to be back into audio again.

Back
Top Bottom