What TT's do you folks have

A new addition....

Just added a new VPI HW-19 Jr with VPI/RB300 tonearm (dropped counterweight) and Inconito wiring option to my inventory. Cartridge is Dynavector 20X-HO MC.

~Michael~

I'm using a stock standard Rega 3, RB 300 arm and a Benz Micro Silver cartridge. Sitting in a box in the storage room is a Mission 774 with a Mission arm.

My first turntable was a Dual 1219.

My second turntable was Dual 1229.

My third turntable was a Technics SL 1200.

My fourth turntable was the Mission.

I sold the Technics. It was a very good turntable.

I used the Mission until my son, in his innocent curiousity, destroyed the Linn Basik arm and Blue Point cartridge that was mounted in it. The RB300 would not fit the the Mission, so the Mission was packed away. I do not miss the Blue Point cartridges. They were much too fragile.

I very much like the Rega.

Last abum listened to: The Blasters / True Fiction

atuque

Turntable

I'm currently using a VPI HW19Jr, with an OrigineLive-modified Rega 250 arm (including their cables) and Shure V15XMR. I also use an Antique Sound USA (not Antique Sound Labs, though I do use their amps in a variety of ways) PP1 phono stage. The OriginLive arm made a larger difference than I thought possible, with soundstage and imaging both more palpable. The Shure - well, those of us who know it will understand - is one of those products that seems to do everything quite well. It does track just about everything, meaning that there are few disks I feel that I have to avoid and few sessions that leave me fatigued. I do have a Sumiko Blue Point around here (I like it, but its non-replaceable stylus is a disadvantage, high-end Stanton (maybe I'll work with it in future), and Grado Gold (I just can't bring myself to work hard enough to make the Grado track properly and that end-of-record/toward the motor hum!).

Good weekend listening to all!

SC

Nice TT ! If I recall there is a company that Retips the BPS. Though it cost something like 200.00 bucks. Hardly worth it IMO.

Grumpy

BPS

Well, the BPS really is a good cartridge, but the cost of a new one is not much higher than the reported cost of a retip. I do enjoy the Sumiko; it does a revealing job with my recordings. The Shure has an advantage over a lot of cartridges, in my view, in that it moves the tweek-time/enjoy-the-music-time ratio in a favorable direction.

akshobhyavajra,
Does the VPI allow for VTA with the Rega???? Includes that little "top hat"looking adaptor???

TY
BTW
Congrats on the new TT.

Re: ,

Originally posted by Tonto Yoder
akshobhyavajra,
Does the VPI allow for VTA with the Rega???? Includes that little "top hat"looking adaptor???

TY
BTW
Congrats on the new TT.

TY,

I actually changed the order with Larry to a Scout with a JMW-9 arm - cartridge stayed the same.

With regard to the initial Jr / RB300 combo I was going to get Larry stated that frequent cartridge changes would require a special Rega VTA base - an additional $150 to the arm. I did not care about that, since I don't change carts too often.

I don't know if this answers your question.

Regards,

~Michael~

Yep,
$150 is the magic number for VPI--that's the Rega sleeve that allows for adjustable VTA. It looks like a top hat sorta---a metal cylinder with hexagonal flange (the flange being the brim of the hat). Always thought $150 was expensive. There's an Incognito "Easy Riser" for $39 that's probably not as well-built & sturdy, but it's $110 cheaper.

BTW,
some people are of the set-it-and-forget-it school of VTA (Regas can be adjusted with shims/spacers for this crowd). Personally, I like to tweak VTA with some regularity. There's one guy on Audio Asylum who has a VTA setting marked on every LP and adjusts EACH LP for VTA!!!!

TY

Originally posted by Tonto Yoder

BTW,
some people are of the set-it-and-forget-it school of VTA (Regas can be adjusted with shims/spacers for this crowd). Personally, I like to tweak VTA with some regularity. There's one guy on Audio Asylum who has a VTA setting marked on every LP and adjusts EACH LP for VTA!!!!

TY

The more expensive the cart gets the more nervous I get. Hence - once set by Larry it stays that way. My future plans include a Helikon (maybe next year) with a phono to match - but I will certainly have Larry do the adjusting on that. It just makes me feel better.

Resetting VTA for each LP? There is a 12-Step program for that, no :D ?

Regards,

~Michael~

VTA

Don't believe the OriginLive arm allows for VTA adjustment. I seem to have good VTA with the Shure. Tracking, imaging, and frequency response all seem good. Maybe the Shure (V15xMR) is forgiving. Maybe I'm going deaf.

Anyway, a recent guest (victim to whom a demonstration of the system took place) noticed the palpable quality of sound played through the VPI HW19JR/OriginLive/V15xMR combination and noted that instruments in the center were centered, almost as if there were a speaker dedicated to the jazz instrument positioned center stage.

small cars,
I have the Origin Live Rega as well, so I knew the arm itself didn't have VTA. Roy Gandy didn't believe any benefits of VTA outweighed arm rigidity. My particular table has an arm pod that grabs the arm pillar, so pillar height (and consequently VTA) can be raised or lowered via a set screw.

VPI's VTA sleeve has interior threads--the threads of a Rega arm pillar screw into/out of the sleeve and the Rega nut is retightened.
TY

intensely modded oracle mk 1 w/ rewired hadcock gh230 arm & dynavector 20xh.
b&o 4004 w/ mmc20
i've never heard anything sound like the oracle but the b&o is comparable in terms of eye candy.

Welcome Maddog

I am jelous of that Dynavector ! Maybe you can offer DaveM some setup tips on his newly aquired Oracle.

Grumpy

Re: VTA

Originally posted by Small Cars
Maybe the Shure (V15xMR) is forgiving. Maybe I'm going deaf.
Having just set up an old Dual 1249 and a vintage Thorens with the V15VxMR, I'd have to say you got lucky. Twas the most finicky cartridge I have set up in a long time. In the end I was rewarded with great sound, but the road to that point had me making adjustments on my old Dual that I didn't know were adjustable...

Azimuth adjustment was where I had the problem, if you are curious. The Shure seemed somewhat insensitive to VTA, but on both the Thorens and the Dual I had to set azimuth to within a gnat's ass azimuth for it to track properly. Once there, all is cool. Tracks beautifully.

1200's are not just for DJ's anymore!

Hello, Elliot. I've got a three speed 1200 with a Shure V15VxMR and tonearm damper. Give it some carefull set-up, a good cart, and it just might surprise you.
One reason I'm here is the "battleship" tables are just as welcome as the "luxury liners" :)
Brad

Thanks For The Tip Steamshooter!

Although I like my Technics, there's something nastalgic about those vintage Turntables. I can't really put my finger on it, but,
I've always had an interest in Vintage Audio.

Unfortunatly, I'm too destructive to appreciate vintage audio.

I would imagine once I get older that will change.

Hello everyone,

I'm currently using an upgraded VPI HW-19 MkIII with a modified (New counterweight and rewired) Rega RB-300 arm and an Ortofon MC30 Super mk II or an Ortofon MC30. The tt is used with balanced connection (four wires) , cables running from clips to phonostage without joints.

For 78:s I have an old Lenco L-75 with a Rega RB78

Lenco%20L75.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom