What tuners do you have ?

Grumpy

Krusty old SOB! Yes, I own Audiokarma
Staff member
Admin
Sponsor
Subscriber
Being somewhat of a tuner nut I have more then my fair share. A couple of them are

Accuphase T101
Sansui TU-X1
MD90

What to you folks have and use ?

Grumpy

You'd think with my families history in radio that I'd have collected several, but sadly, I've sold them all. But in the past I've owned an Avery Fisher tube FM mono tuner (primitive by today's standards, but had great audio), a Magnum Dynalab MD-90 (wasn't impressed), a really nice Pioneer digital tuner from around 1983 that had a wonderful front-end and a rich sound and the first NAD FM/AM analog tuner that unfortunately refused to stay in alignment (surprise! surprise! huh?). These days with radio being what it is, I listen to NPR on my Model One Tivoli (Walnut) and use my GE Superadio-3 (tweaked by me) for long distance AM and FM. Both offer very good fidelity and the Model One can be used as a stand alone tuner with it's line output.

i must say i own a few myself,heres the list
philips 673
philips 185
scott 314
scott lt110
dynaco fm3
dynaco fm1
sherwood s2000
eico hft 90
heathkit aj12
heathkit aj41
mcintosh mx110(love the tuner section)
trio fx 121
pilot fm530
fisher r 200 b (am/fm/shortwave)
thats about it from what i can see in front of me.i have others but would have to dig them out to find the model #'s

Last edited:
Three heath AJ1600's, One heath AJ15, one Marantz model 23, and one p.o.s Aiphone :thumbsdn: fer da garage ! That has trouble picking up my own station transmitting out of my basement ! :scratch2: :D

These days with radio being what it is, I listen to NPR on my Model One Tivoli (Walnut) and use my GE Superadio-3 (tweaked by me) for long distance AM and FM

hi celt, i too own a ge superadio 3 and was just curious as to which mods you did too yours and did it greatly improve the performance of the radio?
chris

grumpy,
thanks for the new forum :thmbsp:

Only standalone tunas I have are my Luxman T-02, and a wierd Radio Shack AM-stereo tuner I bought on closeout at RS before I was even old enough to drive. :D The Luxman is not bad-sounding but it is a digital tuna, and I generally don't like them. This push buttons to tune the radio ideer is for the birds! :D Nothin' like a good old-fashioned knob...

At least here in the Madison area we have a few stations worth listening to...an eclectic community station (WORT 89.9), the UW-Madison college station (91.7), NPR 88.7 for classical, and 93.1 for classic rock. As long as you don't land on 94.1 JJO (the death-metal cookie-monster station) or Z104.1 (your tuner will be contaminated with teenager tripe) you're fine. :D

Todd in Cheesecurdistan

Well, I've got my Elite F-91 in the main system with an Onkyo T-9090II sitting on the shelf gathering dust, and a couple of McIntosh receivers. The problem is, FM sucks around here...no decent signals.

Sansui TU-717, owned since new. The rest are in receivers. Unfourtunately the SF bay area has mostly crud for stations, and a lot of them are owned by Clear Channel :thumbsdn: .

Going to pick up a small yagi and stick a rotor and mast I have on top of the second story... maybe something is out there... :scratch2:

I can't compete with some of these lists, but I have the following tuners:

Sony ST-550ES (just upgraded)
Sherwood S-2400
Dynaco FM-5
Teac Ref 300
Tivoli Model One
GE SuperRadio

All in regular use in various settings.

Right now my main tuner is a Saba MD-292. Your probably saying what?? Very nicely made German tuner, that's digital but has analog knob tuning in .05 increments. I can't decide which sounds better, the Saba or Philips AH6731 yet. A true sleeper, if you ever see one cheap that works, snag it immediately.

radioactive said:
hi celt, i too own a ge superadio 3 and was just curious as to which mods you did too yours and did it greatly improve the performance of the radio?

Hey Radioactive! I followed this webpage for alignment procedures. http://users.netonecom.net/~swordman/Radio/GEsrIIIAlign.htm
These units have Varactor tuning circuits in them, so you won't see the usual 3-gang variable cap in them. Mine like most, suffered from poor scale alignment and the FM sensitivity could have been peaked a little better. I re-dressed the wires to keep them from interfering with the dial string, rebuilt the 2nd Order crossover (yes, it has that too) and added a 3/8" nylon washer behind the tuning knob for smoother action. (The nylon washers supplied with modern gold-plated RCA jacks are perfect for this.) These radios have a lot of potential, but GE is building them for a low price point.

Hey B3, my middle brother sent me one of those Rat Shack stereo AM tuners. They closed them out for like $10. My oldest brother *borrowed* it years ago and I haven't seen it since! There are at least a few stations that are still broadcasting in Motorola C-Quam. WSM in Nashville being one.

Adcom GTP-500MK2, Marantz 2100, Yamaha T-500

but, my daily driver's still the Kenwood KT-7550. :thmbsp:

NAD 4150 - works ok, sounds too SS for me, in storage
Dynaco FM-3 - needs restoration
Scott 350D - ahhhhhhh...now this is the shit, I'm done, the other 2 can stay in storage...

I collect tuners and have at least 30 but most are in storage in the attic of my work shop.Here is what I am now running and what I paid for each tuner.
Kenwood kt 7300--$8
Teak st 200-------$9
Sansui tu d99x----$10
Sansui tu x1------$25
MCS 3700--------$20

I paid to much for the MCS 3700 but I like the looks of it and the Sansui tu xi was the steal of the century.It had been in a fire but it worked and I found a new used front panel for it.
Ed

ya know, I have NO IDEA how many I have... I have a bunch. The deep irony, of course, is that I rarely listen to the radio ('cept for "A Prairie Home Companion" most Saturday nights).

Let's see:

Sherwood S-3000 (my favorite)
Sansui TU-717 (nothing special but nice looking and the only one worth any $)
Yamaha CT-610II (not bad at all)
Yamaha T-550 (got this one new)
Sansui TU5500 (dump find)
Heathkit AJ-41 (IIRC, lovely in orange!)
Craftsmen CT-800 (again, IIRC)
EICO HFT-90 (two of these)
Bell (don't remember the model number; AM-FM mono tube tuner)
h/k C-300? (AM-FM mono tube tuner)
Sherwood (don't remember the model number; AM-FM stereo SS)

That might be all...

Last edited:
I have a modest collection...

Sansui TU-9900
Sansui TU-517
Pioneer TX-9100
Pioneer TX-6500 II
Kenwood KT-5300

The TU-9900 is stock, but still a great tuner. For me, the TX-9100 has been a great surprise. It's a fantastic tuner.

I wish I could get my hands on a Toshiba ST-910 or a Wega Lab-Zero just to hear what the fuss was all about but so far I use a Denon TU-850, 1978 FM-only 5-ganger of the superlative kind.

...how can sound be so good although crudely cut at 15k?? ...magic of radio!

I've got a few and I love everyone one of them.

TU-517 (hooked up right now, this is a great sounding tuner)
TU-717
Denon TU-460 (good inexpensive tuner)
MR-73
MR-77 (on its way here from Terry)
MX-115

I have the FM on nearly 100 % of the time.

Murray

Last edited:
Presently down to only:

Luxman T-02 Digital but very good specs and performance
Kenwood L07T II Seven gang cutie

others that have passsed through here worth noting:
Marantz model 120 nice scope
Pioneer F-90 digital but nice specs and performance

Lefty

Currently, I just have an old Technics rack-system tuner up in the attic. I DO however want a KT-1000 to match my KA-900.

Back
Top Bottom