What tuners look cool in the dark?

stewby

I often have just a small table lamp on when I'm listening at night. Few, if any, of the tuners I've listened to offer much in the way of eye candy when the room is dark. My TU-X1 I usually listen to is basically just awash in white light and looks rather utilitarian. Any suggestions as to tuners that are fun to look at in the dark? Some of the Marantz tuners maybe? Thanks in advance! Pics would be nice! I'd be willing to sacrifice performance for looks.

Rick

wow, you'd rather sacrifice performance for looks?

In that case any of the marantz tuners using the oscilloscope display look nice. If you can get a restored 10B that is probably the most beautiful tuner I've seen IMO.

I've always liked the look of the sansui tuners. My TU-9900 has that cool green glow.

I like the look of all of the 70's McIntosh tuners in the dark! Below is a MR-74and also like the MR-78. Here is a picture w/o cabinet of the the 74 in the dark.

MR742708barrynsue016.jpg

Barry

Thanks!

As many know, I am fully sold on McIntosh and will admit, looks plays a part. No one can dispute the overall quality of most McIntosh components as well as the build quality.

I have been through 1000's of pieces of equipment and have heard some that matched McIntosh sonically, but I couldn't get over the looks.

The beautiful lights, blue meters, and scale are just classic and the sonics are always up there with the best!

B

Oh, yeah......that's the 70s for me......lava lamp, McIntosh gear, lights off, meters dancing, Dark Side of the Moon on the 'table.....wine.....yep....

Its not just the gear...its the experience.

Cheers,

David

Sequerra with the panorama display. A Marantz 10, 20, 20b. The SAE with nixie tubes and 'scope would probably be my 1st choice b/c of the coolness factors of nixie tubes.

Don't have ant picture in the dark but here is a MR-78 and Marantz 10B I had. Just click on the pictures for a larger view.

Not a great pic of the 10B as I didn't get the scope but still beautiful!

Anyone else have pics?

B

Go with a scoped tuner.

#1 Day Sequerra Studio/Reference - better tuners than the original Sequerra.
#2 Marantz 10B
#3 SAE Mark Six - the nixie readout is too cool.

A McIntosh, MR-65B through MR-78, for non-scoped.

I owned a Sansui TU-9900 that is still the best looking tuner to me. Should have held on to it.
Regards,
Jim

i have a variety of tuners.and some of them look fantastic all lit up.i have some scotts with the round dial,mcintosh mx110,sansui tu666,tu9900,tu717 they all look great lit up and best of all they also sound great.:yes:

stewby,

The Sanyo Plus T35 looks nice in the dark, is relatively inexpensive and sounds and performs nicely.

Daytime pictures only;

SanyoPlusT35Tuner1.jpg

SanyoPlusT35Tuner.jpg

SanyoPlusT35Tuner2.jpg

Vito

I'm away from my system right now so I can't take a pic, but the Yamaha T-1's green-lighted dial looks really great in the dark. Maybe Urizen will chime in with a pic of his. Here's one from TIC--not quite dark enough to show off the green glow.

T-1.jpg

I love the simplicity and functional ease of this tuner.

I think my old Pioneer receivers look pretty cool at night.
My KT-8007 looks cooler but I'll have to wait till Mike finishes doing his magic before I can show it.

Attachments

• IMG_1342_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_1342_edited-1.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 135
  • Sound%20Project%20300.jpg
    Sound%20Project%20300.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 106
wiredbecker, I had one of those and it did look nice at night, except my fingers needed memory for those switches. Here's my Pioneer electric fireplace.
9500II.jpg Jim

I'm gonna have to break down & buy a camera pretty soon. That Mac is VERY nice, but my Kenwood KT-7001 gives it a good run for the money, I think. :yes:

Back
Top Bottom