What turntable are you running with your Fisher?

Larry,

I'll let you know if I can find motor mounts.

As best as I can measure, it looks like the approximate dimensions of the Elac 10H motor grommet are as follows. I assume the 50H would have an identical mount as it used the same motor.
  • Diameter at largest point 10.5mm
  • Height of cutout groove 4mm (indentation that mates with the metal turnable)
  • Height is roughly 6mm above the metal plinth
  • Inner bore diameter 4mm

miracordmotormount.jpg

I use a Thorens TD124. Tonearm is a SME 3012 with vintage ortofon cartridge. Very nice sound. I like the garrard 301 and miracord as well.

Last edited:
The Miracord I have came out of a Fisher console. Very nice turntable. Not sure of the model.

The Miracord I have came out of a Fisher console. Very nice turntable. Not sure of the model.

For Fisher consoles, if it's white it's a 10F. If it's grey, it's a 10. These are both essentially the same table with different cosmetics and use the cost reduced shaded pole induction motor made by Perpetuum-Ebner.

Elac offered a high performance model (10H) which Fisher didn't use in it's consoles. The 10H looks the same and has same physical dimensions, but instead has the upgraded high end Papst hysteresis motor used in Empire, Fairchild and some Rek O Kut transcription turntables of the same period. In the decades before Japanese direct drive turntables, the synchronous Papst motors were the state of the art in achieving precise motor rotational velocity.

So Fisher cheaped out a bit and used the lower tier Elac in their consoles. In contrast, Clairtone used the upper tier Elac 10H in it's 1960s Project G console (see pics below, not my unit) which can sell for tens of thousands of dollars today!

The Papst motors are extremely reliable to this day and deliver superb performance. The Elacs with a Papst motor (10H, 40H, 50H) are arguably the finest of all 1960s mechanical changer turntables. An Elac with a Papst can deliver virtually unmeasurable wow and flutter because the 6 pound platter acts as a flywheel and the motor is locked to the 60Hz mains frequency, which virtually eliminates speed fluctuations.

pg.jpg

interior_fx.jpg

Last edited:
I plan on pairing up my Fishers (tubes) with some vintage Dual's. I'm currently working on one of the Fishers and I can get one of the Dual's up and running pretty quickly to match up with it. Let's see I've got three 1226's and two 1009's. I'll probably go with the 1009's as they would be more period correct. Haven't listened to any of it yet, but it's in the not distant future!

The idler does NOT have any bearing on the motor to platter ratio or speed (except when it slips). It's an intermediate gear, with no change to the final ratio. You could put an idler that is lagrger than the platter on it, and the platter would still rotate at the same ratio to the motor as the original idler. Shaving of the idler will only get you fresh rubber to make contact provided the rubber if ok underneath the skin. And it'll be MORE prone to slip as there isn't as much torsional pressure from the spring to act on it. Suggestion is to send it to Terry's rubber Rollers and have him rebuild it. http://www.terrysrubberrollers.com

The idler does NOT have any bearing on the motor to platter ratio or speed (except when it slips). It's an intermediate gear, with no change to the final ratio. You could put an idler that is lagrger than the platter on it, and the platter would still rotate at the same ratio to the motor as the original idler. Shaving of the idler will only get you fresh rubber to make contact provided the rubber if ok underneath the skin. And it'll be MORE prone to slip as there isn't as much torsional pressure from the spring to act on it. Suggestion is to send it to Terry's rubber Rollers and have him rebuild it. http://www.terrysrubberrollers.com

I didn't shave the idler wheel. I shaved the pulley (see below) as an experiment. I was able to achieve true speed as a result.

If one clocks their 10H, 40H or 50H with either a strobe or smartphone app like Turntabulator, it is probable that the platter is rotating 1% or more fast because the Elac pulley steps were made slightly too large. It's not a motor or idler wheel issue. Rather the press to fit pulleys were made too large in diameter. 1% fast is noticeable to me so I'm experimenting with a scalable way to correct this pulley size issue which I believe is a universal problem for all 10H, 40H and 50H models, causing their platters to spin too fast.

IMG_4140.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, my bad. I understood it as an idler shaving. I did that with a dual 1229 that had a 50Hz pulley only. Took about 5 minutes with a flat file on the pulley with the motor spinning.

Some Garrards tend to run a little fast too. I was once told it had something to do with the changer functions, the assumption being that with a fully loaded platter it might run too slow if it was running on-speed with one disc. I've put a strobe disc on there with a full platter and not noticed it running any slower than it does with no load though.

Turning one down on a lathe would be the way to do it, the trick would be doing it precisely enough to not over-shoot and make it run slow. Might actually make more sense to make a whole new one as a replacement part vs doing modifications on existing ones.

I'm running a Kenwood KD-2000 (Grado Prestige) and a Dual 1019 (Shure M91ED) thru my Fishers.

On my separates with Fisher receivers or the X-101-B, I'm now running a SL-1200 MK I (servo motor) or a Garrard Zero 100, or Lab 80. Both the 1200 and the Zero 100 are running Shure V-15-III's with HE stylus. The Lab 80 is running a Pickering ATE with a Jico Elliptical. (I got a new stylus for it and took off the m55)

Running a modded Dual1229Q with V15 type III cart and VN35HE stylus with a 500b. 12 years younger than the fisher but I think a good pairing.

Running a Dual 1226 with a Shure M91ED with a low cost EV stylus through my KX-100.

Spinning my...

-Marc Morin modified AR XA with Shure M91ED (original stylus) through my...
-Larry Derouin restored 400, or my...
-Dave Gillespie restored KX-100.

Happy, Happy, Happy!!!

As soon as my TD 124 comes back from the restorer it will join the Fisher 400 and Klipsch Heresys in the living room.

Garrard Lab 80 and a Pioneer PL-50a.
My Garrard is in the shop getting a complete rebuild. Excited to get it back because it sounded good enough and ITS AWESOME TO STACK 6 records on top of each other and not have to get up!! Lol

Back
Top Bottom