What turntable are you running with your Fisher?

I think the Lab 80 is supposed to handle 8 at a shot. I don't remember if I've ever tried more than 6 on mine though.

The ideal number of records in the stack will depend on the thickness of the records. Some of the older LPs are quite thick compared to the almost flexible plastic used later. The amount of weight will also affect how much the bottom records label gets scratched as the umbrella on the spindle retracts. The only real limit on a Lab 80 would be the length of the spindle above the umbrella and the ability of the arm and stylus to be able to clear the top record when all have dropped.

Every changer has a variation of this problem. We had a table top Zenith Cobra where the spindle is split at the bottom of the stack. A pin rotates 180 degrees to pull the bottom record to align with the lower spindle. Terrible wear, especially with a load of 78s. Over time, it also developed the bad habit of dropping a record, starting the play, then somehow dropping the entire stack on top of the arm.

Though, shown here sitting atop a stack of Kyocera separates, I am using a Lab 80 Mk I sitting on a custom plinth with a deerskin mat and a Stanton 681EEE through my Fisher 500C driving a pair of University 315C coaxial point source speakers...

I couldn't imagine being happier with my circa 1964 setup.

IMG_1289.JPG

'61 TD-124 with my '59 X-100. :bowdown:

(The '64 AR-TX is currently in a different system.)

Ic6HUy9.jpg

Now that I have it fixed, I'm using a Technic's SL-1200 MK-I (Original Version with the different tonearm and Servo controlled motor) with a V-15-III and a JICO HE Stylus. Set @ 1.25gr. to 1.50gr. If I set the weight for less than that the needle jumps all over from vibrations. It took some getting used to as it's all manual and I'm not a manual type. I'd rather use my Zero 100 but it doesn't have a cover for the wood base and the WAF isn't there. She wants a cover on everything. I managed to get her to agree to leaving the tube amps and tuners nude but the turntables and the Reel to Reel's have to have a front or top cover. Luckily I have a cover for the TEAC 4010's and the AKAI GX-370D decks.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom