What turntable did you buy for $10 or under?

Just scored a Quadraflex Reference 510T turntable from a local junkshop. It's missing a foot and a controlswitch cap but its a stealthy all black with wood side panels - I'll bet it will clean up beautifully. Came with a decent AT cart for a total of $8 Can't wait to get this one up and running. There is virtually ZERO information anywhere on this little beauty, although with searches I've found that the Quadraflex stuff was built pretty solidly. Pacific Stereo seemed to take their house brand pretty seriously. Pics coming.

Two days ago I scored a Denon DP-33F for $10. It's Grado cartridge had a broken stylus and it was really dirty, but I cleaned it up thorougly, and after a stylus was added, it works perfectly! As far as Denon TTs go, it seems pretty oddball. I can't find much about these online, and not many for sale. It has kind of a plain-Jane look, but it's a full-auto quartz direct-drive with a really kewl servo controlled tonearm system that can search and "memorize" a spot that you want it to come back to. It even sounds better than my SL-1300, probably because its lighter arm is a better match for the Grado. I'm happy! If I find the ambition later, I might post a photo.

A freebie from an old friend, and everything works. I'm going to give it a tune-up and put an Audio Technica 440MLA on it.

Q50-1.jpg

Just scored a Quadraflex Reference 510T turntable from a local junkshop. It's missing a foot and a controlswitch cap but its a stealthy all black with wood side panels - I'll bet it will clean up beautifully. Came with a decent AT cart for a total of $8 Can't wait to get this one up and running. There is virtually ZERO information anywhere on this little beauty, although with searches I've found that the Quadraflex stuff was built pretty solidly. Pacific Stereo seemed to take their house brand pretty seriously. Pics coming.
Same thing here! I picked up one of these last month for $8 at a thrift store. Just needed a new stylus and belt. AT cartridge. Total investment was $38!!! It sounds really nice.

I was given these two Technics TT's. A SL-1401 and a SL-QL1. Both are in great shape and both are playing vinyl. Now I have to start collecting vinyl again.

I got an empire 498 mounted to a board for a homemade console,so I guess its a 408 or 488?for $10.

Dual 1019, Gerrard AT60, Sony PX-50, Sansui SR 222, Mitsubishi LT-22 all for under $10. All in good shape except for the dust covers on the Mitsubishi and the Sony.

Pioneer PL340 needed stylus and belt $5 at a yard sale
Yamaha YP B4 with no headshell, cart or belt $7.50 at a flea market
Technics SL 2000 with good Shure NDC HE stylus $9.99 at SA
Onkyo CP 1116 needed belt and stylus $9.99 at GW
Sherwood ST 903 linear tracker no belt or cart $10 at a flea market
Fisher branded BSR with plastic platter $4.99 at GW Kept the Pickering V15 cart and tossed the remains
PE 2035 in bad shape $5 at a flea market Kept the Pickering V15 cart and tossed the remains

Notice how there aren't many posting in this thread lately? The $10 and under deals are pretty hard to come by these days. Too bad I missed out in the late 90s /early 2000s when people we dumping TTs like mad. Now most of those cheap or freebies deals we hear about come from friends or family.

In 2003 I bought an entire pallet of good vintage turntables for $120. The pallet included a Thorens, a couple Duals, three Pioneers, a Philips, a Zero 100, and several more to a total of 18 turntables. I cleaned 'em all up and flipped all but 2, which was the Pioneer PL-570 I kept for 13 years and a B&O which was too far gone to rescue. The pallet had included a TRIO turntable which was a combination idler & belt drive and which was one of the loveliest vintage machines I'd ever seen. I do wish I had kept that beauty, which iirc was from about 1969 or '70.

I don't think I will ever again get such an opportunity. I made maybe $400 profit off that deal, which I thought was a lot of money. How times have changed!

I've not seen an under $10 turntable in years. Even on Craiglist, where all the good ones are overpriced and the only ones under about $50 are dead or something like an ION or Crosley.

Got a Dual 1226 and a little Rotel receiver for $25 so I guess that counts. Rotel just needed a fuse, but the Dual had a busted sled and a B&O cartridge so no stylus replacement, ended up costing me about $100 all in. Amazingly it's the best sounding TT I've owned, it ended up getting gifted to my GF's daughter as she'd expressed interest in vinyl and it was the simplest TT I had, figured it would be less trouble if it were to need any servicing.

Repost? or Update.

Philips GA312 $10 CL, Acutex 308IIE, broken cantilever, no counter weight
Pioneer PL-514, $10 CL, Empire 300ME, no mat, wrong counter weight, but working.
Pioneer PL-7, FREE, Audio Technica DR100
Fisher MT-272 (C), FREE, Red Ed generic
Garrard 74M, FREE,

JVC QL-A2 was free
Realistic Lab 440 was free
Toshiba SR- F335 was $5 at a yard sale (no dustcover)
I can't remember what I paid for the Sony PS-LX22, the Toshiba SR-300C was $20 and my Marantz TT 2000 was $15.

Mark

I haven't got near the deals dome of these other guys.
The first one that started me tinkering with TT
Dual 1216, $5.00 guy was selling it for 15 as working and i plugged it and it didn't. So he said how about 5...deal.
Hitachi HT-550 thrown in when I purchased Yamaha CR-1020
Pioneer PL-514 5 at yardsale
Pioneer PL-200 thrown in when I purchased a LAB 80 and fisher xp10
Toshiba SR-40e 10 at a yardsale one of the coolest turntables I have seen and I am still trying to get it working.

Back
Top Bottom