What tweeter and woofer should i buy?

Discussion in 'DIY' started by Cody AOC, Jul 14, 2017.

1. Cody AOC

Cody AOC Member

Hi everyone I wanted to know on your thoughts on what tweeter and woofer i should use now i don't want to spend too much but i'm replacing the vintage woofers and horn tweeter for new stuff i will be reusing the cabinet the woofers are a 12" and the horn tweeter well i don't know much so i would rather have a matching set to make it easier on me but sound quality is very important to me but also is the amount it cost this is for my garage stereo system i'm changing from the system around it's been 30 years since it was last changed it's been used and the speakers are just flat worn out not putting money in old drivers if possible i don't want to spend any more than 150 for the pair of speakers 2 woofers and 2 tweeters combined i like to be able to get somewhat loud and not worry about them blowing. you know maybe minimum of 100 watts per speaker cabinet.

2. toxcrusadr

toxcrusadr AK Subscriber Subscriber

Going to be very hard to get a good sounding speaker easily, for several reasons.

1. The cabinet volume is extremely important in selecting a woofer. Also the type - sealed or ported.
    2. Once a woofer is selected, the tweeter has to be selected to match it in frequency response, sensitivity, etc.
    3. A crossover network must then be designed to fit the two drivers.

All of this requires design software and knowledge of speaker design.

It would be far easier and more like to sound good, if you get on Craigslist (if you have one) and find a pair of $150 speakers. You'd be way ahead. Just my humble opinion.

Curious what cabinets these originally were, and what kind of drivers are in them now? Can you post a pic front and back?

roger2 likes this.
  3. Cody AOC

Cody AOC Member

They are some unknown general electric vintage speakers 1 think i have the only one in existence because I have done hours of trying to find some kind of information of them and found nothing not one thing but they are all original besides new foam surrounds was put on them 2 years ago.

4. thomo57

thomo57 Super Member

"I have done hours of trying to find some kind of information and found nothing "

I think our answer lies there.☝️
    Spend your$150 on a new/old set of speaker

5. Hipocrates

Hipocrates Anti-Muppet Subscriber