What was good in the Pioneer CS-XXXX speaker line?

expatguy

(Apologies in advance if anyone thinks this belongs in the speakers section, but since it's purely Pioneer, I thought I'd put it here.)

In a different thread I got a lot of recommendations to pick up the HPM-100 or HPM-900s, which I certainly intend to do. At the same time, someone mentioned that the Pioneer CS series speakers as a whole didn't impress too many people.

The thing is, I see so many of them here in my corner of the world, though, that I can't help wondering if there were some gems in that series.

Sooooooo, anybody got recommendations for any unsung heroes in the CS line?

Regards,
expatguy

Some of the Pioneer CS series with 15" woofers get some good reviews here.

I have a set of CS-911A's, which I use in my Pioneer set-up. I like them. They weigh about 50 pounds each. They were released the same time as the HPM-100's, and cost more new than the HPM's - even though the CS-911's had vinyl instead of real wood veneer like the HPM series.

Marantz005.jpg

herbman1975 said:

I have a set of CS-911A's, which I use in my Pioneer set-up. I like them. They weigh about 50 pounds each. They were released the same time as the HPM-100's, and cost more new than the HPM's - even though the CS-911's had vinyl instead of real wood veneer like the HPM series.

Those woofers are 15 inches? To a guy like me who has spent most of his time looking at 6 inch woofers in bookshelf speakers (at 6 inches they are probably more accurately described as "yappers"), the ones in that photo they look more like fifteen feet!:D

Thanks for posting the photo. That's a beautiful set of speakers. Do they have a particular sonic quality that you are particularly fond of?

Regards,
expatguy

How about the CSs with smaller woofers?

Anyone had any experience with the CS line speakers with smaller woofers?

Regards,
expatguy

I have a pair of CS-E350's in excellent condition. Don't like them, going to give them to the Thrift shop for a tax write off.

i also have a pair of pioneer cs 63 dx's and just love them . in a simular post it was said the successors were CS-99A

I may have responded to the other thread. I have CS-88's & 88A's both have 12" woofers, & HMP 500's with 10" woofers. Going any smaller than that seems to require a subwoofer for me.

herbman1975 said:

I have a set of the CS-911's also. I have been wondering why they seemed to get a bad rap when they are brought up in the forum. When I looked at your picture you posted I noticed both you and I are running a Marantz through the speakers. I am using a 2265B. I have been amazed at the sound I get out of my CS-911's and now I have reached the conclusion it must be the Marantz\Pioneer connection that makes us appreciate the CS-911's. Maybe the others who dont appreciate the sound of the CS-911 haven't heard them matched with a Marantz.

I have some CS-911A and CS-99A (sold).
Compared to the big HPMs, they cannot reach their sound quality.
Very collectable are the precious CS-3000A and the mighty CS-10 in rosewood!

Speakers I would love to have, are be CS-99AA :yes:

761mv2.jpg

I have a pair of CS-722s I got from a buddy a LONG time ago in swap for a crappy car. They are three-ways with a 12-inch woofer, a horn and those treble and midrange controls you see in the picture of our friend mondo-woofer shown above. I like them very much. Hadn't turned them on for a while, and they actually made some otherwise unnotable amps sound decent. VERY EFFICIENT, and seemed to give a good sound thru the range. Never have heard any feedback when I've mentioned them, but I like them a lot.

The early- to mid-70s CS-88A (12" 4-way 5-speaker) and the CS-99A are both very solid, very nice-sounding speaker systems. I had both, and they sounded even better together.
They were VERY nonfatiguing for long, loud listening sessions.
The CS-63DX is also a great sounding speaker system.
Yes, bass is rolled off below 50 Hz, but some bass boost on the receiver will bring the bass out. They do reproduce low bass, but very quietly without a bit of boost.

Thanks to everyone for all the information on the smaller CSs. Being "spatially challenged" (plus having to haul speakers upstairs) I sort of favor the slightly smaller 10 and 12 inch woofer types. The 99As are definitely on my wish list, although I will definitely spring for the hefty HPM-100s should they come along.

Regards,
expatguy

I have a mint set of both CS-33a and 99a. I bought them from a Vietnam vet who barely used them and had them stored in the original boxes. I hardly use them myself. The CS99a's fetch a pretty penney on ebay when they're in good condition, but I wouldn't pay $400 for them. I consider them to be a clear adequate speaker, but think my Large Advents are better.

Hi, Can the 15 inch woofers from the CS 63 DX 's be used to replace the missing 15 inch woofers in my HPM 150's. I notice the are parted out more often on e**y , the HPM 150 woofers are imposible to find almost. thanks
cheers Wolfgang

Back
Top Bottom